CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 23:39:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for Engraving  (Read 70095 times)
truckeic
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2017, 15:39:22 pm »

I wanted to ask a question of you guys..

I am a Gunsmith and need to engrave round objects. The font is small may even want to engrave logos. can I do this with CAMBAM?
Could I import a logo and have the CAMBAM cut it?
I dont have a 4th Axis so is there a trick to cutting on round?
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2017, 16:45:14 pm »

I would only do this on 4th axis. I have done some,(piece to long for my 4th axis) by projecting lines to solid round but the results were less than satisfactionary on 3/4" dia stock. Good luck.

My 2¢
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2019, 10:55:35 am »

For some 4th axis trick, thinking in 3D I see no means of engraving on round object, curved object maybe.

your Z is moving along Z+ or - but at 90° from the surface.

if you "compensate" for the curvature, you modify the Z according to the curvature of the object, but the "engraving" is not a 90° respect to the surface, i.e. Immagine the movement of the tool as you slante by 30° the stock, the tool is moving up and down 90° related to the working plane, but the stock surface is 30° slanted, so 90 -30 = 60 or 90 +30 = 120 degree  with the real stock surface.

4th rotary axis for perfectly round object are not too difficult to implement, maybe some search on "diy rotary axis" could give you some hints.

I suspect that if you are a gunsmith you have some machinery to cut iron, so it a matter of having some ideas, for engraving the cutting forces are not too high so a belt with two pulley maybe with 10mm wide belts could suffice to make a rotary axis.

Then there are some plugin to drive apporpriately the  4th axis that temporarily replace the X or the Y motor of you machine.

I hope having been clear as english is not my mother tongue.

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2019, 14:34:27 pm »

Depending on the size of the text and size of the area being engraved you might get satisfactory results by engraving one line at a time and suspending the round object in an indexer with a tail stock or a pair of indexers. 

Engrave the line, advance the indexer. 

As to a logo that will depend on the size of the logo.  Typically when you wrap to far around the sides of a stationary round you get elongation and distortion, but if your logo does not dip to far down the sides it might be quite satisfactory. 

If you are talking about engraving barrels and some types of receivers you have to remember that the barrel is likely fairly hard, and you will be tackling it with a pretty small tool.  Its possible but you must take care not to break tools.  You may even break a tool tip and not see it except under a magnifier.

When I was first learning to engrave the top face of a round I experimented on impact sockets. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 14:43:25 pm »

Carlo, YES. You can engrave on sloped surface, that's what I did by using project lines to surface option. That if I understand what you were saying..

My 2¢
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: