CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 21:24:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Puzzled about the Mirror function  (Read 196 times)
Lou van Wijhe
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2017, 16:42:06 pm »

I was under the impression that I could mirror MOPs and leave the related drawing objects alone. I created MOPs for the front side of the object (the rudder of a scale ship model), copied the part "Front Side", renamed it "Reverse Side" and tried to mirror its operations along the axis (see enclosed CB file).

However, the mirror copy as well as the original are visible and when I want to generate toolpaths, the original and not the copy is followed.

Am I on the wrong track?

Lou

* CS Rudder.cb (52.77 KB - downloaded 8 times.)
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 18:01:06 pm »

I was under the impression that I could mirror MOPs and leave the related drawing objects alone. I created MOPs for the front side of the object (the rudder of a scale ship model), copied the part "Front Side", renamed it "Reverse Side" and tried to mirror its operations along the axis (see enclosed CB file).

However, the mirror copy as well as the original are visible and when I want to generate toolpaths, the original and not the copy is followed.

Am I on the wrong track?

Lou

Hi Lou,

The mirror function is used to mirror drawn objects, not MOP's.  If you setup a MOP for a given set of objects, then mirrored the objects of that MOP, the newly created mirrored objects would have new, unique object ID numbers and would not be included in the original MOP.  You need to create a new MOP for the mirrored objects.  I hope this helps.

Best regards,

airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 19:11:39 pm »

Hello

I was under the impression that I could mirror MOPs and leave the related drawing objects alone.

Yes, you can ; use the transformation matrix in the mops (transform property), not the one in the drawing objects, then use a scale of -1 to do a mirror.

In the attached file, I scale all mops in the reversed side part to -1 in X direction to do a mirror and I also move them 30mm in X

++
David

* CS Rudder_dh.cb (53.69 KB - downloaded 12 times.)
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 19:54:23 pm »

Hello

I was under the impression that I could mirror MOPs and leave the related drawing objects alone.

Yes, you can ; use the transformation matrix in the mops (transform property), not the one in the drawing objects, then use a scale of -1 to do a mirror.

In the attached file, I scale all mops in the reversed side part to -1 in X direction to do a mirror and I also move them 30mm in X

++
David

Well I'll be a blue nose gopher!  That's soo cool, who knew?

airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 20:05:25 pm »

I use the scale -1 every day when making molds.  It very handy.  Seems it doesn't work with the trachoidal milling plugin though. 

One thing I have noticed is that if I use the conversational entry at the bottom with multiple MOPs of different types selected it doesn't always work, but if you go upto the data fields and enter -1 in place of the 1 for the desired axis, and then click ok it works just fine.  If you click apply when you have entered the data manually in the data field it cancels it out. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 20:26:02 pm »

Well I'll be a blue nose gopher!  That's soo cool, who knew?
Me Smiley
Thanks to David, of course.
I often use both matrices for surfacing jobs - rotate the geometry then rotate the MOP with the same angle, but negative. This way I turn vertical or horizontal hatch fill method into slanted hatch.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 21:20:06 pm »

Hello

Well I'll be a blue nose gopher!  That's soo cool, who knew?

You can do a lot of things with that ; like machining a 3D part that is too height for the machine without to have to modify the 3D object itself to make the "strata" ; you create as many 3D mops than needed for each strata, you set the stock surface and target depth so each match to a strata (ex: first mop from 0 to -10, second from -10 to -20), then you use the transformation matrix to move the toolpaths in Z so they are all at the same height and you move them laterally so each strata are machined next to each other

An example here with the Venus ; the goal is to do a (1/2) mold from a positive shape, and because the model is too height for the machine, it's splited in two strata, but only one 3D object is used for the whole process. The toolpaths for the strata are moved in Z and/or in Y with the transformation matrix.

http://www.metabricoleur.com/download.forum?id=2170

++
David
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 21:28:14 pm by dh42 » Logged
Lou van Wijhe
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 21:52:58 pm »

I once again am surprised by the possibilities of this great product! Thanks everyone for responding, David not in the least!

Lou
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 22:12:52 pm »

Yes, David has mastered most of the esoteric or arcane possibilities in CamBam
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 22:14:45 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
Lou van Wijhe
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 17:27:12 »

How do I now determine the exact centre line for flipping the object so that it registers? By Get Object Extremas and using f.i. Width(X)/2? Is there an easier way?

TIA for tips!
Lou
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 19:14:41 »

Transform -> Align and center relative to one axis or both. Then place register pin holes on that axis.
For pins I use shanks from broken 3 mm mills and drills, stacked plenty of them before getting to know what I am doing Smiley

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Lou van Wijhe
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 21:54:22 »

Thanks, Dragonfly, that's easy! I already have a collection of steel dowel pins, so I'm all set!

Lou
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: