CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 25, 2020, 11:30:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Progressive Pecking  (Read 2787 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2019, 17:21:07 pm »

As I mentioned very early in this thread changing the post processor is certainly one method.  I prefer to create custom styles for different drilling types so I am not self limiting to just whichever one is in the post processor.  

The G73 may well be all you need, but in my recent issue I drilled 320 1/16 and 200 #43 holes PAST the flutes.  The G73 method would probably have destroyed the bit and the work piece.  

I could just as easily change the post processor for the G84 drilling (Right hand tapping) that I use quite often for tapping, but then every drill would stop and reverse out of the hole at feed rate.  Instead I created a custom style for tapping.

Instead of modifying the post processor and self limiting I create styles for different drilling operations and even for different specific applications.  I had already done it for tapping G84 (on the Tormach) which is why I so quickly was able to apply it for G73.  When I select the style...

TC Tap 1/4-20
TC Tap 10-32
TC Tap 5/16-18
Rapid Peck #7 Al
Rapid Peck (Generic)
etc

… it automatically works and does not limit to one type of drilling like changing the post processor does.  

"Well, I'm only going to do it the one way and I'll NEVER need any other way."  Ok, no problem.  Go ahead and modify the post processor.  

Of course you can modify the post processor AND create custom styles using the custom script option built right into the drill MOP.  

I almost didn't post this.  I have to admit I was a little annoyed that I took the time to find a solution for others in this thread, but never found an ideal solution for my original problem.  Then I thought... well maybe somebody else who comes along will appreciate it.  These threads live forever and often show up in search engine results.  

Sincerely,
Beaker
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 17:30:38 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: