CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2019, 08:27:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying out drawing on paper with my CNC. I can't seem to get CB to work.  (Read 903 times)
ubiquity
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 21:52:28 pm »

Bill,
I am a newbie to CamBam so others will have a better idea of capabilities than me but I have been investigating this topic through YouTube where this video in particular caught my eye (from Builds with Brian) - yes he uses Vectric Aspire and an Axiom ($12,000 AU) machine to do it but what you have achieved with your machine and CamBam is inspirational to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6HD1M_Qb4

When looking at the Heightmap and in particular the Surface from Bitmap capabilities of CamBam and watching the GCode simulated in Camotics
https://camotics.org/ the motion of the 'tool' makes me think that a form of 'hatching' to fill areas is possible.

I hope others can give you a better idea of how to do what you suggest as it really extends the thinking of what a CNC machine can do.

I am interested in what you have used to hold the sharpie in your machine is it custom made? 'Builds with Brian' also goes through several methods for 'holding' a range of drawing tools (mostly sharpies) that you might find interesting too.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 22:18:03 pm »

Hello

HOWEVER... just one more detail. If you notice in the original picture the eye brows, nose, mouth, etc are colored in. When converting the file to .dxf to import into CB, it creates the lines but does not "close" those areas so I can "pocket" and fill in those areas (or color them in with the sharpie).

You must manually edit the drawing in CB so the area to fill are closed, then you can "fill" them with a pocket or a hatch (see hatch plugin).

++
David
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 22:44:26 pm »

When using a Pocket MOP, the "Tool Diameter" would have to be close to the pen tip diameter and "Crossover" could maybe be increased to 1.0, some experimentation required first.

Made in England
huntleybill
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 00:04:54 am »

taking a very close look at the dxf file, I can see that when it was converted to .dxf, it took the thick black lines on the original drawing and made double lines. The way I see it, and I may be way off base here, is I would need to close the loops in the areas I want shaded, or make a MOP for all the areas that are double lined and shade those areas.

Either case, I tried closing off areas with a line or an arc and had little luck joining everything together. I played with it for awhile and came to the conclusion there has got to be a better way.
huntleybill
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 03:26:42 am »

I am interested in what you have used to hold the sharpie in your machine is it custom made? 'Builds with Brian' also goes through several methods for 'holding' a range of drawing tools (mostly sharpies) that you might find interesting too.

Thingiverse.com and did a search for CNC pen holder. Yes, I have seen builds with Brian's holders but since I also have a 3d printer, I figured I would just print one!
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 07:31:59 am »

Hello

Either case, I tried closing off areas with a line or an arc and had little luck joining everything together. I played with it for awhile and came to the conclusion there has got to be a better way.

Yes, it's a long job to do but I'm not sure that you can find something that can do the whole job automatically. In most case, digitizing a bitmap to get outlines needs some manual job to achieve a perfect job. (and your project is not a "difficult" case)

Filling the "black" areas has been done with this plugin (the hatch can be engraved)

http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/Hatch_EN.html

++
David

* dog_dh.cb (699.97 KB - downloaded 3 times.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:59:56 am by dh42 » Logged
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 15:45:38 pm »

I think you could fill a dark area by using a pocket with the tool width set for the pen line width and using a cut width of about 90%.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
huntleybill
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 23:01:34 pm »

Thanks dh42, I tried the hatch plugin but as was mentioned earlier, there has to be a closed loop for it to work. Lets take the nose tip for example. I tried to draw a line in 3 spots to get it to close up. I could not get it to work. I think that once a closed loop is obtained, the hatch plugin could make this work.

Actually, I did find software that will make the file work the way I want it to but CB does not like .svg files.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 23:05:58 pm »

I think that once a closed loop is obtained, the hatch plugin could make this work.

Yes, and it is the same for pocket (I assume that you want to say "closed polyline ?")

I tried to draw a line in 3 spots to get it to close up. I could not get it to work.

Yes, it is not sufficient Wink

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1624.0

++
David
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 23:16:50 pm »

a small video attached, this show how to redo the nose.

++
David

* dog_repaire.zip (3424.44 KB - downloaded 6 times.)
huntleybill
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 00:08:54 am »

Thank you David. I will give this a try.
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 02:00:37 am »

Hi Bill
Actually, I did find software that will make the file work the way I want it to but CB does not like .svg files.
Then use that software, it's a long and tedious process in CB.
If you are familiar with Inkscape then it will load up a .svg file which you can export as a .dxf that CB will read fine.
Because of the nature of this kind of work, I think you will have to do some work on the file in CB anyway.

There are a few different approaches to achieve a result that machines or draws well.

I prefer to use layers to put various parts of the geometry, that I've worked on, which make the task
less confusing.

When you are modifying the geometry of your file allot using 'Break at intersections' and other built in functions  and using CNTRL P to join them, then there will be lines that simply won't co-operate, so use the polyline doctor in the file clean plugin It'll repair lines that you simply can not do with CB's built in functions.
If you are working in imperial measurements then you need to enter the settings as shown as a starting point.
then as you get more experience you can adjust these values to to selectively pick and choose which parts of the geometry to turn into a polyline to suit your needs.

Dave

* Bills Dog CB.PNG (84.95 KB, 998x561 - viewed 9 times.)

* Pocket for nose.PNG (50.38 KB, 695x454 - viewed 8 times.)

* Imperial settings.PNG (4.83 KB, 178x127 - viewed 61 times.)
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 07:58:08 am »

In the past I've had the same problem, closing the polyline generated starting from an inkscape file:

I set three layers:

1) the default layer
2) a working layer
3) a store layer

process:

1)  put the original polyline (or polylines) in the "store" layer, make a copy of the polyline(s) in the "default" layer and set the hidden attribute for the store layer (You have the original work just in case but didn't bother you when working).

2) set the "default" layer as the standard layer (sorry I'm using Italian translation and didn't remember the exact term
the layer with the little green arrow on it. (new objects are created here)

3) chose the polyline(3) that enclose the areas and observe them, maybe the polyline is too big, make a copy and hid the working layer. (So now you have at least two copy of the original objects)

4) using "intersection points" somewhat is easy to find the points in which the polylines change directions abruply, so if you are lucky a long polyline could be broken in strategical points, it produce a pointlist that you have to "explode" to obtain single points.

5) select this points and the polyline and use "polyline" -> "break at points" menu item (you find "polyline submenu" in the context menu and even in Edit menu)

6) now you have the pieces that could be processed in many ways:
  a) simply join them and integrate the missing lines to obtain areas
  b) do a) and then use the ""Edit" > "Offset" to obtain a sliglty smaller area (use a negatvie offset value) to fill in a desidered way
  c) you could even repeat b) to obtain a concenttic pattern using a value for the offset near tip width to mimic a filled area.

When finished repeat for the all the area you would fill and then put the original polyline (or maybe a copy of it) in the "default" layer, and make the appropriate mops

Regards

Carlo D.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:02:08 am by onekk » Logged

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
huntleybill
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 04:25:15 »

Hi Bill
Then use that software, it's a long and tedious process in CB.
Dave

Ok...let me explain what I meant by finding the software that can do this. I left it kind of vague.

The software I was referring to is Easel. It accepts .svg files that I convert from that .jpg of the dog using Inkscape.
I have attached a screen shot of what this file looks like after everything is set up. The problem with Easel is that when I download the g-code and try to run it on my CNC, it starts to draw the image to a size that is smaller than a pencil eraser. I have no idea why it does this! I thought g-code was g-code.

So, I got on the forum for Inkscape to see if there is another way. In a nutshell, I cannot get Inkscape to give BOTH the lines AND the filled in areas.

So then I looked at Gimp. I could not find out how to do it there either. I then tried Blender. Again, no luck there.

Looks like I will have to try what David suggested. Seems to be the easiest route.

* Capture1.JPG (94.77 KB, 1357x599 - viewed 9 times.)
MrJTJinx
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 11:30:54 »

I have found this to be a useful tool
https://convertio.co/jpg-dxf/

The big issue has always been with broken polylines, there is a lot of editing and manipulation required to get the design converted into single lines which can be used for MOP's.

I suppose the original artist look more than a couple of mouse clicks to create the file, so i'm not to bothered about spending 20 mins cleaning up drawings which i have scanned in and converted.

There are a few posts on the web regarding issues with sketchup which all appear to be layer related - IE not all the drawing is on a single layer.  I guess its a case of understanding the limitations and workarounds of our particular setups.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: