CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2019, 19:31:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CamBam plus V1.0 (rc-3)  (Read 3292 times)
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2019, 13:45:20 pm »

Another new CamBam release V1.0 (rc-3) is available...

http://cambamcnc.com/downloads/#devt
and for Linux...
http://cambamcnc.com/ref/ref.linux

Release notes...

Notable changes in this release:

Mostly bug fixes, but a happy outcome while working on these, I have rewritten some code which appears to have resulted in tool path generation performance increases of roughly 20-30%.  For example, the skull-big-foam.cb sample, the last 'additive' machining operation went from ~54s to ~28s duration to calculate toolpaths.
Holding tab recalculation times should also be improved.

There is a new Display : Selected Entity Focus config setting.
Setting to False will prevent the layers auto expanding when a drawing object is selected.
Selecting objects and pressing CTRL+TAB will toggle the parent layers expanded/collapsed.

Another shortcut key - CTRL+L now opens the align window.

For Ubuntu / Mono users having lock up / hanging issues when using File - Open, the default mono behaviour is now to not use a background worker thread when opening files, which should prevent these lock ups.
There is a new config option File Open Worker Thread.  Setting this to True will revert to the old work thread behaviour (the same as the Windows default). 

Again, to reiterate the rc-1 notes...

The rc-3 tag denotes 'release candidate', which implies that, at long last, we nearing the point of making V1.0 the recommended production release.

The main aim of this release has been to work through remaining bugs and issues, particularly where these prevented moving over from 0.9.8

If you are yet to try V1.0 we recommend doing so.
If there are issues with this release preventing you from moving from 0.9.8, please let us know!

Note, V1.0 and 0.9.8 can be installed on the same computer and run in parallel.
Version 1.0 now requires the .NET framework version 4 to installed.

Thank you again for your support, feedback and patience while we work to make this the best CamBam release yet!

Thank you again for the great feedback!

Regards

Andy Payne (10bulls)
EL34
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 13:50:05 pm »

Thanks Andy

Mach 3, Cambam, Autodesk Quickcad 8, machine info -> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Cnc/CNC0.htm
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 14:29:26 pm »

Many thanks for the layer auto expansion option!
But ... when I want to select another object and assign it to an existing MOP layer stay folded but obviously file changed state is not updated and File-> Exit  closes CB without prompting  to save. Both on Windows and Linux.
When a new MOP is created for a selected object closing without preceding 'Save' pops up the save prompt. But I suppose the 'file changed' state is set by the MOP creation.

On Linux:
The default template selection button in the options (with three dots) does not open a file selection dialog.

Would you please tell us what Linux distribution and Mono version you use for testing? I have a spare partition for a second distribution installation, so I could try mirroring yours.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 14:31:10 pm by Dragonfly » Logged
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 14:54:35 pm »

Thanks Andy
You are very welcome!  Smiley
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 15:30:49 pm »

Thanks Dragonfly

But ... when I want to select another object and assign it to an existing MOP layer stay folded but obviously file changed state is not updated and File-> Exit  closes CB without prompting  to save. Both on Windows and Linux.
This looks like an old bug (all versions, not related to the new feature).  Will fix!

On Linux:
The default template selection button in the options (with three dots) does not open a file selection dialog.
This uses a standard System.Windows.Forms type editor 'FileNameEditor'.
I just browsed the mono implementation and all its methods are marked as '[System.MonoTODO]'  Roll Eyes
I will change this to use a CamBam defined filename type editor.

Similarly, file name editors not working for Post Processor - Post-Build Command and Config - GCode Editor.
Note, these properties work, but you will need to type in or copy paste the value into the field until I update the next release.

Would you please tell us what Linux distribution and Mono version you use for testing? I have a spare partition for a second distribution installation, so I could try mirroring yours.
I use many Linux distributions (mostly VMs), but the main ones I test on are Ubuntu14 (32 & 64 bit), Ubuntu 16 & 18 (64 bit), Raspberry Pi (3 & 4), and Linux Mint (18 & 19).
The mono versions also vary, from 4.6 to 6.4 (on the latest Ubuntu distributions).

However, my favourite Linux systems that I spend most time developing on are both Linux Mint 19.
...a desktop with mono 6.0 and a laptop with mono 6.4

CamBam works very well on both these systems and I highly recommend it.
I have not seen the Ubuntu File - Open lockup problem and the File Open dialog has all its toolbar icons intact
(even with the latest mono version).

I am still looking into the missing icons issue on Ubuntu 18.  I tried downgrading system-windows-forms and system-drawing libraries to 4.6, but the icons are still missing.

onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 20:09:26 pm »

Attemping to find out the problems on RC3 in Linux for the OpenFileDialog, I have found some hiints.

Here the oputput of the command line

Code:
mono --trace=N:System.Windows.Form CamBam.exe

hoping it will be useful

Code:
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load the file 'CamBam.CAD.XmlSerializers'.
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Invalid Image
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Invalid Image
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load the file 'UIAutomationWinforms, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f4ceacb585d99812'.
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "mru.dat"
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load the file 'CamBam.CAD.XmlSerializers'.
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load the file 'ExcellonIO.XmlSerializers'.
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load the file 'CamBamLathe.XmlSerializers'.
[0x7fcbdf36ebc0:] EXCEPTION handling: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
gmoo
Storm Trooper

Jam it !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 21:11:47 pm »

Thank you, Sir !

Am I welcome, too ?   Grin

best regards

Bernhard
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 08:45:46 am »

Thank you, Sir !

Am I welcome, too ?   Grin
Of course... 'you're welcomes' for everyone!  Grin
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:43:15 am »

Code:

Thank you Carlo... the 'Invalid Image' error does not occur on working systems.
There were changes in the latest Ubuntu 18 regarding libpng, which may be related.
My best bet is to compile the mono sources on Ubuntu and see where that takes us and possibly propose a patch if the issue has not already been addressed. 

onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 11:01:15 am »

Code:

Thank you Carlo... the 'Invalid Image' error does not occur on working systems.
There were changes in the latest Ubuntu 18 regarding libpng, which may be related.
My best bet is to compile the mono sources on Ubuntu and see where that takes us and possibly propose a patch if the issue has not already been addressed. 

I've investigated more, in mono sources there are reference for the icons on the form and icon names are consistent as example go-previous.png, I haven't found were Mono search for these icons, in tehory they are incorporated as resources as on Mono sources there is a "resources" directory containing these files.

Or the latest Mono sources are buggy (I'm using the pkg supplied by Xamarin for Debian 9) or in some system they are searched in the usual places and not found, I have changed icon theme with some that surely have them but nothing changes, I'm using Ubuntu 16 as reference as using Devuan ascii (equivalent to Debian 9) that binaries seem to be the most taylored.

Mybe including Debian (Devuan) in the CamBam pages will be a good advice, as this distribution is widespread in some flavours (Ubuntu, froze Debian Testing at some time and builds their version on this base).

I've noted that when installing new Mono versions some part are compiled on the fly during install process, with the incorporation on "msbuild" in Mono due to the acquisition by MicroSoft some things are changed, and this behaviour is one of them.

I've also tryed to change MONO_THEME environment variable in cambam.sh but seeem to have no effect.

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 12:48:25 pm »

I've investigated more, in mono sources there are reference for the icons on the form and icon names are consistent as example go-previous.png, I haven't found were Mono search for these icons, in tehory they are incorporated as resources as on Mono sources there is a "resources" directory containing these files.

On line 175 of FileDialog.cs in the mono source, there is a line...
Code:
imageListTopToolbar.ColorDepth = ColorDepth.Depth32Bit;
Taking that line out fixes the problem on Ubuntu 18.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 13:38:43 pm »

Aha... It looks like a change from libgdiplus6.0.2 (working) to libgdiplus6.0.4 (not working)

An easy way to fix this is to set up the repositories for your system as per the monodevelop download page...
https://www.monodevelop.com/download/#fndtn-download-lin
(note these repositories use the vs- prefix, rather than the stable- prefix)

Use the following command to see what versions you have available...

Code:
apt-cache policy libgdiplus

(here is the output after downgrading...)

Code:
libgdiplus:
  Installed: 6.0.2-0xamarin1+ubuntu1804b1
  Candidate: 6.0.4-0xamarin1+ubuntu1804b1
  Version table:
     6.0.4-0xamarin1+ubuntu1804b1 500
        500 https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-bionic/main amd64 Packages
 *** 6.0.2-0xamarin1+ubuntu1804b1 500
        500 https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu vs-bionic/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.2-2 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages

To downgrade, find the previous version number, then use this after the equals sign...

Code:
sudo apt install libgdiplus=6.0.2-0xamarin1+ubuntu1804b1

My Ubuntu 18 now has file open icons back.  Cheesy
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 13:59:00 pm »

You brought the discussion to a level higher than mine but I am following it with great attention Smiley
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 16:31:52 pm »

Thanks Andy, I submitted a bug report on GitHUb page using your informations.

OpenFileDialog, buttons icons are broken #17493

https://github.com/mono/mono/issues/17493

Update
unfortunately downgrading is not possible at least for debian 9, sources from stable-stretch and vs-stable-stretch seems to be equal and not holding 6.0.2 as possible version.

Regards

Carlo D.

@Dragonfly The level is not too high, is only a matter of investigation, in GitHub is easy to make some search using patterns in the source tree and when you have a clue of what is going wrong, some search and some "brain glue" may help you.

Bug reports are the better if they have some version in it, so the "programmers" could have a hint on "when" the things were broken, and maybe a simple "diff" with two version will find the culprit, almost every time, if you have some fortune, or if you have not !fortune (programmers use ! to indicate not negation so !fortune is misfortune or as we call it in italian slang, from noth to south  "sfiga" - "jella").

Regards

Carlo D.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 17:55:19 pm by onekk » Logged

Carlo D. (onekk)

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 18:46:12 pm »

Thanks for the updates on various Linux distros.  I had been looking for a 32 bit Linux to install over an incorrect installation on an old laptop.  Linux Mint 16 - 32bit did the trick.  So far I like it. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: