CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 23:53:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: CamBam plus V1.0 (rc-2)  (Read 2661 times)
ubiquity
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 12:35:29 pm »

Initially I had three problems.
The first problem was after installing CamBam plus V1.0 (rc-2) on Linux Mint the Offline Help files were not included in the distribution.
This problem was addressed in the 30th September release.
The second problem was that, in order to open .cb files directly, the file associations needed to be addressed with the mime references. This was expected to be addressed through running the (latest) install-launcher.sh script.
In my case I think I ran the script directly, rather than in terminal, and nothing happened- no launcher was created and I could still not open .cb files directly. As mentioned in my first post this seemed to be perhaps because the creation of the ~/.local/share/applications directory failed.
Ultimately I rebooted the machine then ran the install-launcher.sh script again, in terminal, and it worked to create the directory and set up the mime references (as originally expected).
The third problem (which I think still remains) was that the libraries were not created and populated during the install. These I copied from the alpha release that had been previously installed.
I hope this is sufficient explanation - I have no idea why the initial running of the script failed only that ultimately it worked after repeated attempts.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 13:26:27 pm »

Thank you for the update!

I made a minor change to the install script to create the application folder in case it is not present.
This will be in the next release, but current script is shown below.

Regarding the system folders, apologies if the installation instructions are not very clear.
The binaries download does not include the system folders.
These need to be downloaded and installed separately, as described on Step 2 on the linux reference page.
http://www.cambam.info/ref/ref.linux

This is done as the system folders contain user configured files that we don't want to overwrite.
The system folders usually do not change often, whereas there may be frequent releases of the binary download.

To extract the system folders without overwriting your existing files, use the following command:
(I will add this to the linux install instructions page)

Code:
tar -C ~/.config --skip-old-files -xzf ~/Downloads/CamBam1.0-mono.system.tgz

The third problem (which I think still remains) was that the libraries were not created and populated during the install. These I copied from the alpha release that had been previously installed.

When the system folders are present, are you now able to use 'Help - View samples' from within CamBam ?

Thank you again for the great feedback!

install-launcher.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

appdir=/home/"$USER"/.local/share/applications/
dest="$appdir/cambam.desktop"

mkdir -p "$appdir"

echo "#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open" > "$dest"
echo "[Desktop Entry]" >> "$dest"
echo "Type=Application" >> "$dest"
echo "Version=1.0" >> "$dest"
echo "Name=CamBam 1.0" >> "$dest"
echo "Exec=$PWD/cambam.sh %f" >> "$dest"
echo "Path=$PWD" >> "$dest"
echo "Terminal=false" >> "$dest"
echo "Icon=$PWD/CamBam.svg" >> "$dest"
echo "MimeType=application/x-cambam" >> "$dest"
echo "Categories=Graphics;3DGraphics;Engineering;" >> "$dest"

xdg-mime install cambam-mime.xml
xdg-mime default cambam.desktop application/x-cambam
xdg-icon-resource install --context mimetypes --size 64 CamBam.png application-x-cambam

onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 11:08:26 am »

ubiquity Thanks for the detailed explanations.

I see that the new install_launcher.sh script now has the proper lines to create the applications directory, and the problem could be solved by this line.

And all the others problems, I think are solved by 10bulls post.

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 11:38:07 am »

Some reports on Linux:

The lastest mono update at least for "Debian" (actually I'm using the fork of Debian without systemd specifically Devuan 9.0 "stable"), make some minor think broke for 0.9.8.

Some incons in icon bar became with a "purple" background.

So  I've installed Cambam Plus V1.0 (rc-2) after a long time without trying it.

I'm very pleased to note that my "development version" of BoxesXT plugin work without problems (even if it is simply copied from the 0.98 plugins directory, without recompiling and linking to the proper 1.0 libraries, strange but it is working)

So far I've noted some little quirks.

I've found the menu font size in options, but another part of the interface that have to be taylored is the (Drawing and System) and the properties, that are not honouring the size of the menu, maybe not the same size, but a bigger font size according to the scale of the "menu font size".

i.e if the interface is using the size 9 font size and if I set it to 11 or 12 also the font size of these font has to be enlarged.

Another problem is that the help function F1 is freezing the machine, it fire the html mime association, in my case an editor but it freeze the desktop interface, I have to enter in another console and shitdown the machine.

More test to come.

Regards

Carlo D.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:50:57 am by onekk » Logged

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 12:00:16 pm »

Report on Cb for Linux:
The 'Resize' dialog does not update the values according to new entered size or percentage. Resizing itself is carried on though.
Transformation matrix dialog has the name of operation and axis name repeated several times. See the screenshot.

* TransMatrixLinux.png (15.2 KB, 526x370 - viewed 43 times.)
ubiquity
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 08:37:52 am »

I'm really not sure if I should be posting another issue to this thread, or starting a new one.

Rotating the view in Windows works well using Alt+Left however in Linux (Mint 19) I cannot get the view to rotate at all even after changing the modes. Alt+Left moves the whole CamBam window and the other mode options do nothing.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 08:50:13 am »

I'm really not sure if I should be posting another issue to this thread, or starting a new one.

Rotating the view in Windows works well using Alt+Left however in Linux (Mint 19) I cannot get the view to rotate at all even after changing the modes. Alt+Left moves the whole CamBam window and the other mode options do nothing.
The linux page describes ways to reassign the default window drag key for various distributions...
http://www.cambam.info/ref/ref.linux#mint18

For a quick alternative, if you press Alt and the Windows key (super key), then click and drag, this should also work.

Note, you need to have the ALT+Left rotation mode set for the above two methods to work.

Unfortunately the other mouse/key combinations don't appear to get passed to the program from the desktop manager.

ubiquity
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 22:33:34 pm »

Thanks.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 18:57:22 pm »

Ever since I started using CB for Linux I felt frustrated at the File Open dialog which missed the usual buttons like 'Go up one level', ,New Folder', etc.
Today, however, hoovering the mouse cursor over the upper part of the window I noticed that those buttons are there and raise when under the cursor. And even work. But there are no graphical symbols on them to be distinguished from the grey rim color.
How does the 'File Open' dialog look on the screens of your Linux systems? Are the buttons visible?
Mine is Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64-bit.
See the attached picture.

* FileDialog-Linux.png (34.47 KB, 587x459 - viewed 49 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 19:05:56 pm »

And while the 'Release candidate' topic is still hot I'd like to ask once again is something planned about reorganizing Layer and Machining panes?
Or an option to lock layer tree automatic expansion upon entity selection?
At least when selecting objects for a MOP from the screen. This is really annoying because when object selection is finished the selected MOP is not active anymore and usually not seen on the screen. One has to fold the layer tree and find the right MOP. And as it had happened a few times - select a wrong MOP.
ubiquity
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 22:52:54 pm »

Here is Linux Mint 19 dialogue

The Back button is greyed out as there is no previous window while the Up folder button is not greyed out as there is a super folder to the one displayed.

* FileOpenDialogue.png (69.91 KB, 563x440 - viewed 44 times.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 22:55:53 pm by ubiquity » Logged
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 22:57:53 pm »

Hello

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bits

Buttons are present, but the requester is in English although Linux is a French version ...

++
David

* Linux_openfile.jpg (46.23 KB, 573x448 - viewed 44 times.)
ubiquity
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 06:53:27 am »

I have been attempting to use rc-2 on Linux Mint to design a bas relief and finding it very difficult to see either the surface created from a bitmap, the MOP or the toolpath. As a result I thought I would import the bitmap so I could use it to approximate the outline for a rough cut but CamBam hangs when I choose Draw - Bitmap.
I can use the Draw - Surface from Bitmap just not the straight bitmap.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 09:59:09 am »

@ubiquity
Check the 'Display mode' line in the Options. If it is GDI 3D object rendering is very poor.

And I suspect all those issues are connected to display hardware and drivers. My video card is an integrated i915 and there are missing microcode drivers for it in the current kernel.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 13:49:20 pm »

And while the 'Release candidate' topic is still hot I'd like to ask once again is something planned about reorganizing Layer and Machining panes?
Or an option to lock layer tree automatic expansion upon entity selection?
At least when selecting objects for a MOP from the screen. This is really annoying because when object selection is finished the selected MOP is not active anymore and usually not seen on the screen. One has to fold the layer tree and find the right MOP. And as it had happened a few times - select a wrong MOP.
I have added a new config option Selected Entity Focus
If set False, selecting a drawing object will now not automatically expand its parent layer.
This will be in the rc-3 release.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: