CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2019, 14:51:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You have a CNC? So What! I can do that on my Manual Bridgeport  (Read 248 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2019, 17:52:09 pm »

A while back I posted a picture on one of the other forums I read showing how I had made a mistake in programing and split a hinge boss instead of rounding it over.  I just thought it was funny, but a bunch of old manual machinists were stuck their noses in the air, and said, "So what.  I can do that on my old Bridgeport."  I found it annoying and amusing that some of those guys had to reach so far to use a little self deprecating humor to put somebody down and make themselves feel better. 

This is my response.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFbhPnEL8y8

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 00:33:24 am »

There is always going to be an arguement on both sides. I have had CNC guys ask me why I made something manually and manual guys ask why CNC. The answer is always the same, because it was faster. I like to make things. How I make them is not fueled by a desire to brag one way or the other. I just go with what I believe will be the most efficient. Believe it or not sometimes that's Manually. But I also find that if i'm making 20 of something, you cant beat the CNC machine for repeated accuracy and speed. Don't let someone like that get to you. Chances are you are making things and posting cool stuff and they are online looking for something to complain about while there tools sit in the garage rusting.
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 01:23:14 am »

"So what.  I can do that on my old Bridgeport."
Bob, I have run both, Cnc Mills and manual ones. Must say, all have place and advantages and it's all relative.. I'm sure you haven't hear that from somebody who have extensive experience in machining in general. 

My 2ยข
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 14:57:14 pm »

I have a really crappy little Mill/Drill I bought cheap years ago.  I hardly ever use it, but when I fried the pump on my air compressor it saved the day.  Most of my CNC mills require air for one thing or another.  Air seal, tool changes, spindle brakes, etc.  I was able to make an adapter plate for a new after market pump with that little mill drill out of a piece of 1/2" (apx 13mm) aluminum flat bar and get everything going again.  I have a couple machines now I could use without air, or I could have used my old roll around compressor if I could get out of the corner of the garage on the house.  That little mill drill was just the fastest easiest way to get the job done.  I bought it years ago when a fellow had it advertised on Craigslist locally as a drill press.  Its not a great mill, but its a really nice drill press.  Every time I am tempted to sell it I remind myself that it is the simplest mill in the shop and only needs one thing to run.  I bet those guys who own old J-heads wouldn't think much of that machine either.  

I can make that part on a manual Chinese mill dill so old and small it doesn't even have a model number on it.  LOL.  

Machines are funny.  You never know which ones are really going to be more useful sometimes.  More recently than that little mill drill I still have I bought an RF30.  They guy was selling it and an 8.5x18 lathe.  I didn't really want the lathe, but the only way I could get a decent price on the RF30 was to make him an offer on both.  I didn't even want the lathe.  Just figured I could resell it.  Well a couple years later I sold the RF30, but I still use the lathe every week.  I have a standard operation I do on it putting a radius on the end of mold alignment pins so mold plates go together easier and faster for customers.  I leave it setup for that one job with a 3C collet closer in the spindle and a radius form tool on the tool post.  

Another one that went the other way.  I had a table saw and a miter saw for years  I had gotten used to using them, but I wanted a radial arm saw.  I grew up using a radial arm saw.  I bought a nice commercial 2HP 230 volt Delta.  As it turns out I never use it.  Its for sale now.  I have gotten so used to the table saw and the miter saw, that there is nothing I can do on the radial arm saw I can't do on those.  (Yes I know you can use a RAS as a router, but I have a router table already)  In fact my sliding compound miter saw would probably do if I hadn't spent years using the table saw and gotten used to doing so much on it.  The radial arm saw just takes up space in my shop.  I spent a couple grand on it, and it looks like they sell used for a few hundred.  If I get a quarter of my money back I'll be surprised.  

Hmmm maybe I should start a thread titled machines and tools you thought you would use more and don't.  LOL.  

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 14:59:40 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 19:14:05 pm »

Our Servo 5000 bed mill has variable reluctance motors on four axis and a hand wheel. No detent torque at all, when motors are off there is no drag on the handwheels. So you can manually mill just fine, except for the Z axis where the handwheel is 8 feet up on top of the column like a minimill. At 6,000 lbs this is no minimill!  So the Z axis stays engaged when operating manually, and it has quill with a handle. This is all really good because when we bought it we had space for one machine and we sold off the really worn out old Bridgeport.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: