CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 12:18:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bandsaw (NEW new)  (Read 124 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2019, 23:38:23 pm »

I got suckered in by some SPAM from Grizzly and ordered a G0621X variable speed vertical wood/metal bandsaw.  Of course it seems to only come with a wood blade, and I will probably only ever use it for metal cutting.  (I already have a decent Rigid mid/small woodcutting upright bandsaw.)

I think I know why they had them on sale.  The title of the listing says its 3 phase.  You have to read down into the description to see they sell it with a VFD control for speed control and its wired to plug into a single phase outlet.  I think most small shop and home shop people saw "3 phase" and just skipped onto the next listing.

I'm getting ready to order a metal cutting blade for it.  I like the way the M42 blades hold up on my 7x10 bandsaw so I figured I'd just get those for the upright.  The saw spec says blade width from 1/8 to 1 inch, but I doubt I'll be doing any scroll cutting with it.  I'm kinda looking for the most useful pitch and width so to speak.  Is there a big difference between a 3/4 inch wide blade and a 1 inch wide blade.  I suspect I'll be doing 99.9% straight cutting stuff that isn't practical to fit in the horizontal.  Cost difference is only about $10-15 dollars depending on the source, but still $10 is a premium six pack of beer or a couple shots of top grade Canadian rye for after work.

Then there is pitch.  The blade on my 7x10 horizontal seems to do just fine for most things.  I use it on aluminum most of the time, but it will severe 1-5/8 4140QT round without much thought, and of course it severs easy machining stress proof almost as fast as it chops aluminum. Looks like about 12 pitch.  I can't recall, but it might be variable pitch 12/14 or something like that.  I don't want to have a bunch of different blades hanging on the wall.  Just one spare that will allow me to keep going if I break one while I order another spare.  It will get used most of the time to cut 6061 or 7075 aluminum from 1/2" thick to 2 inch thick.  It will occasionally need to cut some 4140HT or some A36 from 1/4 inch to 1-1/2 inch.  Rarely I may need to cut some pieces of aluminum sheet in either 5052 or 3003.  Now I usually cut those with a circular saw on the wood deck of my equipment trailer.

I'm leaning towards a 12-14TPI or 10-12TPI 3/4 inch blade since that's what I am running on the horizontal, but I'm open to changing my mind.

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:07:44 am »

My Rockwell vertical uses a 12-14 tpi bi-metallic 3/4" blade.  No complaints, but I rarely cut anything more than 1/2" thick.
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:23:02 am »

The 12/14 pitch blades are WAY too fine for cutting aluminum.  I just found a couple of 6 pitch blades that fit my portaband, huge improvement for aluminum but 450 fpm still too slow. Years ago I designed a part with swooping curves from 1” thick aluminum. The machinists wanted to know how we would machine it. I pulled out a 4 tpi skip tooth blade 1/2” wide and set up the 18” Grob vertical bandsaw for wood cutting speed. Beautiful cuts we just smoothed a bit with a file. Try it, you’ll like it.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 19:40:11 pm »

12/14 pitch blades are WAY too fine for cutting aluminum
+1  Wink
Skip tooth blade!

My 2¢
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 20:36:59 »

Well, I had hoped to reach a compromise blade to leave on "most" of the time, but I broke down and bought two blades for the new saw.  A 5/8 and a 10/14.  I looked at buying some coil stock, but I just don't want carbon steel blades.  I cut just enough medium hard steel to make them pretty useless for me.  The coils of decent quality bimetal were just a little more than I wanted to spend right now after spending all my pocket money on the saw.

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 21:56:15 »

And then, of course, you have to weld them!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 22:52:51 »

I've had decent luck with silver brazing, and I'm not afraid to try other things.  I already made a jig for clamping blades up straight a few years ago.  Of course I would have shopped around for a regular blade welder if I bought a big roll of bandsaw blade coil stock. 

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 23:59:19 »

Good on ya', Bob.  You've obviously got it under control!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Today at 00:34:21 »

Good on ya', Bob.  You've obviously got it under control!

Lloyd

Yeah, right.  I haven't had anything under control in years.  Life's adventures are like sitting in the chute on a wild bronc.  If I can just hold on for 8 more seconds I'm good.  

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: