CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 04, 2020, 00:09:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lathe simulator  (Read 1309 times)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2019, 00:48:27 am »

Hello

I tried to use this lathe simulator, with no luck  Huh (I stall with an error message > Reference the axis and I don't find how to do ; the doc is .... short ... and the video tutorial are to fast ) ..

It "seems" to be usable for free, but I don't know how many time .. (but not to much expensive ; ~ 60$ with taxes for both mill and lathe simulator if I well understand)

Someone know it ?

http://www.greatsim.com/en/index.html

++
David
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 00:57:26 am by dh42 » Logged
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 06:34:18 am »

David

That’s a slant bed lathe in the picture of the Lathe sim, so be aware that (in your Gcode) you may have to use the rear tool post and use M04 instead of Front tool post and M03 or you could run the tool upside down and use M03.
I'm assuming here that you have cnc'd a standard engine lathe (the one I've seen in some of your post's) and are using Mach3 as your controller.

With a lathe you have to touch of the X and Z axis of your work piece (part co-ordinates) and run your Gcode.
There are also Machine co-ordinates, so when you execute a G28 the machine will go to the home position or tool change position in Machine co-ordinates. On my machine I have two sensors for homing X and Z after a homing procedure I set this as X0,Z0 in (Machine co-ordinates) and referenced this as my home position. You can use G53 but it's not the same thing and is useful at times when you don't want to go all the way back to the home position to change your tool.

David, there's a  Fusion simulator as well as this one http://www.cncsimulator.info/
IIRC with the last one,I had to go to the website and refill the petrol tank every so often.

To be frank, when I use one at all for the lathe, I use the fusion one.
Unless it's a very simple part, I always use a Sim for the mill for new parts, but on the lathe I almost never do as the parts are generally have much simpler geometries.

For example when making a spindle for a trailer axle I used the wizards to generate  the code for first one  and concatenate the the individual gcode from each wizard into a complete file and use that from then on.   

Dave
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 17:57:10 pm »

Hello Dave

Thanks for reply.

I'm assuming here that you have cnc'd a standard engine lathe (the one I've seen in some of your post's) and are using Mach3 as your controller.

No, no, I've no CNC lathe  Smiley , it's just to experiment and see how CB can be used with a lathe (to help users on forums) ... and how to do what CB is not supposed to do  Grin (facing, boring, threading, ..)

In fact I wish I had the good idea to buy CutViewer Turn when it was possible, but unfortunately it is no longer sold (in fact I'm searching for a machining simulator, not a machine simulator)

In fact my major problem is that I don't know the Fanuc control panel ; and I can't make the homing ; if I click on REF, the button LED go ON, but nothing happens (the axis do not move to the home switch when I hit the REF button)

This night, I found how to make the 0 (working coords) ... and ... it's not so easy than with Mach3 ! ... and absolutely not intuitive ...  Roll Eyes

I don't know exactly how I do (because tons of experiments !)  Shocked, but I get a working simulation, only one time ... unfortunately that do not give a really nice simulation on the workpiece itself ... and it seems there is no way to measure the piece, or make "cut view" as with software like CutViewer.

I also find a lathe simulator written in Basic (with sources), but it is "to be finished" ...  Grin

++
David
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 09:42:16 am »

HI David

I did look into this (Generating a marco for some of the lathe operations) Threading mainly and it possible to generate a for example a G76 like this.

G0 G40 G18 G80 G50 G90
G00 X37
G00 Z-14.5
G00 X35
M03 S20
M08
G76 X39 Z-32 Q1 P4 J0.006 L45 H0.07 I29 C2 B0.0001 T0
M9
M5
M30

The thing is you would not be able to see the cut in CB, so you would need a simulator and that's when I found Ezilathe, which has a simulator
so what I do now is to draw the part in CB and export  it to Ezilathe and use It's simulator which can show you if the tool is going to gouge the part
and the tool nose radius works as well.

In fact my major problem is that I don't know the Fanuc control panel ; and I can't make the homing ; if I click on REF,
the button LED go ON, but nothing happens (the axis do not move to the home switch when I hit the REF button)

You we pretty close here, what you do is home All , on my machine (that's 0,0 in machine co-ordinates) click on the machine co-ordinates button and if the DROs are not zero the Zero them and  then press REF and your done. 

That's just telling Mach3 that this is the 0,0 position in machine co-ordinate system. WCS
If you issue a G28 that's were it is heading to,  you can issue a G28 with X or  Z  or XZ co-ordinates as well to avoid the part if it has a large diameter for example.

Dave

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: