CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2019, 14:08:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commemorative Plaque  (Read 207 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2019, 17:44:21 pm »

My first adventures with V-Engrave today.  I'm working on a commemorative plaque for Marine SgtMaj Edward 'MAC' McDermott.  The plaque will be aluminum with machined flush brass for his rank insignia, and relevant information engraved next to it.  He was a friend of mine and a good friend to some of my good friends.

To prevent oxidation I am looking at using clear powder coat on the finished plaque.  Of course I'll powder coat a test piece first to see how cloudy or fuzzy looking the clear powder coat is.  If I don't like it I'll leave it uncoated and let it oxidize.  The plaque should outlast its mounting location anyway.  The plaque will be mounted outdoors. 

The intent is for it to be mounted on the wall of a little shed at Fisher's Landing used for local bass tournaments for weigh in.  We call it "The Weigh Shack."  Mac was a retired multiple tour Vietnam Vet.  He loved to fish, and was a tournament director for a club called Desert Bass for thirty years.  Everybody knows him, and if there was anybody who didn't like him they had the good sense to keep their mouth shut.  I plan to drill and blind tap the back for stainless steel studs to go through the wall of the shack for mounting to reduce the likelihood of theft or just some git tearing it off. 

The brass will also be secured from the back with blind counter bored or counter sunk stainless screws. 

As a long term thing, on the back where nobody will see it I'll engrave the names and phone numbers of several friends and family with the message, "If this plaque is removed please send it to one of the people listed here."

I'll be doing a couple things with this I have not done before, so I'll post some pictures and maybe shoot a video clip or two of the process. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 19:44:05 pm »

Bob,

When you mentioned those three metals together this immediately came to mind;

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article%20-%20Corrosion.pdf

although I realise you will already know about this and maybe have an idea about how to overcome it.

Made in England
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 19:48:09 pm »

I'm not to concerned about the stainless, but the brass will get a coat of enamel on the back sides.  If the clear powder coat works out, that will eliminate the chance of intrusion by an electrolyte (water).  I use stainless in aluminum all the time.    

I considered bedding in epoxy, but epoxy degrades with the UV and other background solar radiation we get here in the desert.  Even on a north facing wall.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 19:50:00 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: