CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 01:22:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alibre CAD - Any Users Here? Any Good?  (Read 1190 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2019, 17:30:50 pm »

I guess some of my videos on using ViaCAD and CamBam have caught the attention of other software developers.  I was offered a free license for Alibre, but I don't want to commit to anything if I'm not going to like it or find it difficult to get over the learning curve.  I told them I wouldn't promise them anything, and if I didn't like it I'd say so.  I'm not in the business of making videos.  I'm in the mold business and the videos I make are either to pay it back (pay it forward?) for all the people who helped me or to promote myself.  They decided my free license would be good for a year and would extend it to a lifetime license if I actually like the software and produce some videos using it.  

If you are an Alibre user how long did it take you to learn to produce quality organic 3D models? Atleast rudimentary ones?

Did you have other CAD modeling experiencing before starting to use Alibre?  

Is the construction and work flow more similar to that of ViaCAD, FreeCAD, Fusion, or something else?  

Which version of Alibre did you start with and which do you have now?  

They mentioned how affordable it was so I asked what that means.  If its half the cost AutoCAD was a decade ago that's not affordable I stated.  They let me know they have a hobby version for $199, but the one they gave me a license for is the "Expert" version.  I suspect anybody trying to learn anything from my videos is going to be a hobbyist.  That may mean they will see me do something (if I decided to produce any Alibre(tm) videos) that they might not be able to do.  They didn't tell me what the cost of "Expert was" so I'll have to go look that up.  

I have not downloaded it yet.  I have limited time and I would like some feedback to determine if its going to be worth my time to learn it.  What I have now is working for 99.9% of the jobs I do.  

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 17:39:23 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
dwc
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 18:25:13 pm »

Hi Bob,
I have been using Alibre Design (AD) for about 10 years now and am not planning on changing.
It does everything I have ever needed and I found the learning curve to be steep, but quick.
I do not know any of the CAD programs you mentioned, but I find AD to be very similar to SolidWorks.
In recent years I have used AD, SolidWorks and CATIA.
I much prefer AD to the other two, but presume that is because I know AD the best.
AD has 3 different version starting at €215 for the hobby version and going up to €1900 for the expert version
(prices in Germany including all taxes, I have no idea what the US$ prices are.)
AD had a period where it belonged to 3DS, the 3d printer company, in which it languished a bit.
The old management has bought it back and it is now moving forward again with big improvements with every new version.
I would take the chance on AD, especially as it is not an subscription product.
Purchase it and us it as long as you want.
Best, Don

EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 18:44:32 pm »

It would be interesting to see if this plugin still works with it;

CamBam Addon to Alibre Design
 http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=833.msg4413#msg4413

Made in England
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 18:48:06 pm »

Price in the US is similar.  

I think you misunderstood I've been offered a free license for AD Expert for a year that will be changed to a permanent free license if I like and it show it in some of my videos.  That is of course enticing.  Everybody wants free stuff, but my time is precious.  Its worth more than money.  I don't want to spend the time just to find it doesn't mesh well with my thought processes.  

I did take a look at a couple current user videos and one thing I noticed right away is what appears to be an integrated CAM system.  Would you mind a few questions about the CAM?  

1.  Is it included?
    a.  In all versions.
    b.  Some versions.
    c.  No versions.

2.  If its not included what does it cost?
    I do not see it listed on the buy it now page.  Maybe I just missed it.

3.  What types of operations (general) does the CAM do?

4.  Does the CAM have rest, trochoidal, constant equal engagement, and/or HSM machining strategies?

5.  What made you choose CamBam over the CAM that appears to integrated with Alibre.  

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 18:50:07 pm »

It would be interesting to see if this plugin still works with it;

CamBam Addon to Alibre Design
 http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=833.msg4413#msg4413

That is the sort of functionality that made me request the Entity Replace plugin.  If the Alibre Plugin still works that would almost eliminate the need for "entity replace" when using Alibre.  Currently I use Entity Replace all the time. 

dwc
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:08:33 am »

The Alibre CAM solution is a plugin from MecSoft.
I know that it exists, but not more.
I have been using AD for a long time and AD-CAM did not exist when I started out.
In the meantime I have a good workflow using CB.
For that reason I have not looked into AD-CAM at all.
Don

kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 00:17:09 am »

I had a free copy Alibre for a year until I found I could get Solidworks as a veteran for $20/year.  The concepts are pretty similar, so the major issues for me were learning where all the functions are in the UI.  Several friends on other forums use it and like it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: