CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 20, 2019, 01:49:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we ever going to get a face operation  (Read 942 times)
MrJTJinx
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2019, 14:26:26 pm »

Put simply are we ever going to get a face operation.
If i had the programming skill i would have written a plugin which provided a new icon for facing which would open a pop up screen allowing the user to enter a datum or start point ie x,y and 0z and an area selected by either entering stock dimensions or selecting an outline which would become the area to be faced.  Enter a desired overlap if required and then a big fat OK button.  The poly-line method i'm using at the moment has two down sides, milling air and keeps on retracting between cuts not keeping the tool in contact with work until finished.
Its been a while since a new plugin or feature has been added to Cambam and its not always easy to find them as they are spread between users own sites and Cambams official plugin page.
I would also like to see a better tool table, again a pop up windows providing a tabulated list of tools which when a tool is selected opens a window allowing for tool data entry.  I do apologise for being brought up as a member of the point and click generation but at least i'm not asking for swipes.
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 23:24:52 pm »

Have you tried drawing one line and applying a profile with a cut width as wide as the area to face? Set mixed direction and tool will zig zag until done.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 00:51:54 am »

Dont even have to draw a line. Just hand code it in the "Custom MOP Header"

pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 10:06:49 am »

If I understand correctly...
I use a rectangle and have all data in a CAM Syle.
I don't have to adjust anything.

ralf
MrJTJinx
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:55:07 am »

Cheers Gary i forgot to Set mixed direction - im currently using the line method but its just a naff way of doing things.
my workflow is to import DXF so i would like to see something snappy which lets you select a face to be machined similar to all the other functions.

Have you tried drawing one line and applying a profile with a cut width as wide as the area to face? Set mixed direction and tool will zig zag until done.

Steve i'm interested in how to achieve the mop header method, can you please expand on it.
cheers
Jason
MrJTJinx
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 12:19:27 pm »

Basically I want this as a plugin
http://www.intuwiz.com/plane.html#.XIJbfSL7QdU
there should be no need for maths inside postprocessor, if we simply have tools which can be used to quickly produce canned cycle code as if we were generating a tool path via the post.
machines don't care if the code was generated in the depths of a CAM application or generated as script.  Providing the code is accurate and error free it will run.
if it can be embedded into the object display to obtain its measurements then all the better.
I have tried to understand how to create a plugin but unfortunately the basic example has not been updated and no longer works in this current version of Cambam. my programming skills are not up to the standard of creating plugins.
pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 15:10:50 pm »

everything you need is already available in Cambam.
I create a pocket with horizontal toolpaths.
I copy the pocket, create a new CAM style and paste format into the CAM style.
For the neext facing job I only have to draw up a rectangle, or another shape, add the CAM style and output the G-Code.
Since I can still save presets for each style like target depth I am even faster than with this generator.

https://www.screencast.com/t/pldGueCG7qaW

ralf
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 19:20:50 pm »

I have tried to understand how to create a plugin but unfortunately the basic example has not been updated and no longer works in this current version of Cambam. my programming skills are not up to the standard of creating plugins.

This is an up to date and better example of creating a plugin; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6668.msg53974#msg53974

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6668.msg53974#msg53974

Made in England
MrJTJinx
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 20:54:04 pm »

cheers Eddyc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: