CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 21, 2019, 15:32:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: bridgeport interact heidenhain tnc151 conversational  (Read 1611 times)
bobomartin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2019, 12:18:59 pm »

Hi .
Ive just discovered CamBam and its suiting my needs for my hobby milling.
I have an old Bridgeport Interact with conversational control.
Im just starting to learn it but would prefer to use a cad cam for the parts, so i was looking for a cheap if not free way of doing this.
I am running the demo version first and if everything works out fine i will pay for the full version.

I have been looking at lots of posts on this site.

My problem is finding and installing a good working post processor...
Im not sure if this pp would be better for conversational or change the machine to normal gcode?

I have found a few files to download to try but im having issues getting the actual files into the "system" then "post processor" folder as instructed when downloading files..
I can faff my way about the settings etc but to be honest im not that confident that im doing it properly.

So can anyone please give me a good working link and more detailed instructions of how to install a pp into the list of pp's to suit my Heidenhain 151..

Also if anyone knows of any issues that i might encounter if i was to use an older laptop running windows7 to put programs in?

I hope that you amazing peeps out there can help me..

Many thanks
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58:54 pm »

Bobo (or, is it Bob O?),

If you have a users/programmer's manual for the Interact control, it should be fairly straightforward.  One might even already exist.

When I started with CamBam, I had an OLD BP R2E4.  There wasn't a direct way to write a post-processor, without further editing the g-code for things that were not 'modern' about the R2E4's supported instructions.

So Andy kindly wrote an extension called the "Post-build Processor", which allows such editing to be done programmatically but automatically during the g-code creation.  Such is a program the user can modify to suit needs.

So, you should first look at the available post-processors.  And check out this thread:

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3029.0

This fellow has written a post-processor that works, and there are a LOT of details dealt with in the thread, including proper RS232 communications with the unit.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 13:16:07 pm »

The path for post processors on my system is this;

CamBam v1.0
C:\ProgramData\CamBam plus 1.0\post

CamBam v0.9.8
C:\ProgramData\CamBam plus 0.9.8\post

Just copy the post processor file into the 'post' folder, the file type should be .cbpp
You then MUST restart CamBam for it to appear in the list.

If you ever need to modify a .cbpp file ALWAYS make a copy of the original file first then modify the copy and rename it.

Or . . .

Hello

Because mostly, the folder is an hidden folder, the easiest way to access to the right one is to use the Tools/Browse system folder menu in CamBam to find the right place. Then you are able to copy the .cbpp file in the Post folder.

++
David

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 13:18:12 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged

Made in England
bobomartin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 13:32:10 pm »

Hi Lloyd.
Yes it is Bob but my nickname is Bobo Grin

Thanks for the info.
I think i read the thread before and have since tried to save and load the file in,this is where i think im doing something wrong....
im not great  with copy link and add extension etc Huh

Do I click on the link....open it ...save it...paste it direct to the settings menu drop down into a new pp folder???
Forgive me for not getting this and ill probably laugh when i see how easy it is Huh

Also i will look in any of the manuals etc that i got with the machine

Thanks again
bobomartin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 14:02:00 pm »

Hi Eddy
Ive just noticed your reply and thank you for your help. Smiley

I did what you explained and have managed to get the latest version of the pp from ADE V into the folder.

I rebooted the programme and it is now in the list  Wink

When i look at the different settings of the post in the box below i noticed that the "add line numbers" is set to false..

Would this be correct as i noticed the sample programmes are all line numbered or would it matter.... Undecided

Still learning here Huh

Cheers
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 14:45:52 pm »

Bobo,
Some controllers demand line numbers.  On others they're optional.  And, on some, they're prohibited!

Try some code without line numbers.  If your system upchucks on that code, then change the flag, and try again.

It won't take long to try, because it doesn't take a long g-code sequence to manifest such problems.

Lloyd

bobomartin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 15:39:43 pm »

Hi Lloyd.
Ok I will try what you said Smiley

Cheers again
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 15:44:34 pm »

Ah, Bobo!  Any time you change ANY setting about a pp, be sure to "reload post processors" before attempting to use it with the change(s).  Otherwise, even though you think you've changed a setting, you're actually working with the memory-resident copy that was loaded before the changes.

Lloyd

bobomartin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 17:00:30 pm »

So an update...and thank you for your help as it has got me this far Grin..
I now have an old pc with windows xp set up right next to the machine.
They are connected via the rs232 lead.

I am using the one cnc free tnc programme and have got the programme ready to transfer to bridgeport.

On the bridgeport i went to the menu and have the following sequence.

Programme + editing.......Read in selected programme.......Programme number(do i write any number i like here as my programme is not numbered in the g code text?).......then  i get the message EXT IN?/OUPUT NOT READY.... Huh

Does this mean that Baud Rates etc menu needs to be correct or have i not got that far yet??.
Im not sure how to check machine baud rate etc to match the one cnc tnc... Undecided

Any ideas please??
Many thanks
Bob Smiley

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 17:59:07 pm »

Bobo,
That sounds more like a 'modem control' signal is missing -- Like RTS or CTS or DTR (Request To Send, Clear To Sent, and Data Terminal Ready). 

But if it's baud rate, what I'd suggest you do instead of trying to set the machine is to try a range of baud rates on the computer -- which is easily set.  Later, if it's not fast enough for you, you can puzzle-out how to change the baud rate of the machine.

Lloyd

bobomartin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 10:49:48 am »

Cheers Lloyd Smiley

If i play about with baud rates and still no success then what does the 'modem control' signal missing mean?...what do i check etc.... Huh

Im also wondering if you have a small sample programme with correct characters etc needed to download successfully from computer.....just want to eliminate any issues that are maybe created by me or my software,,,something to reference if you know what i mean... Tongue

There is a lot for me to learn with this but im confident if i get things off to a good start then i can practice and take it all in easier...im really grateful for your time on this Cheesy

cheers Bob Cool
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 16:33:47 pm »

I'm sorry, Bobo,

I was talking from my long experience with serial communications.  Those 'modem control signals' which I mentioned (and named), are methods two communicating (serial) devices determine when the other is ready and able to receive or transmit data.

Ready-to-send (RTS) denotes that a station has data to send, and it is ready to do so.
Clear-to-send (CTS) coming from a receiving station indicates it's ready to accept such data.
Data-terminal-ready (DTR) is a signal that simply states that a device is in a condition to send or receive, but not necessarily 'ready' to do it.

Without seeing the pinouts of your machine's serial port, I cannot accurately guess which signal(s) might be required.  But I'll bet the manual shows the pinouts, and I'd also bet it discusses any signals that must be asserted before communications can ensue.

As far as 'sample g-code', I can hob something together to challenge the first two conditions you wished to explore.  It would be a simple, short, and to-the-point sequence that wouldn't DO much, but would indicate you can properly control things.

Lloyd

bobomartin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 14:22:42 pm »

Well Lloyd im so glad you do have a long experience of all this. Smiley
It is helping me and others with probs that are not obvious .. Huh

Tomorrow im going to check what you said as best as i can.
I will also look at the manual for any info as you described.

Yes i would be very grateful if you could put a wee thing together to help me test my ' send to machine' issue.

Cheers again
Bobo
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 22:33:43 pm »

Bobo, we've had some 'emergencies' here at home.  Nothing major, but they divert my attention from things I'd rather be doing.

Try the experiments I recommended.  If you cannot get a 'connection', we have to do some soldering!

If I don't respond in a couple of days with a very-simple test g-code, needle me again.  I'm not always free, but have some free time every day.

Lloyd

Jetthedog
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 08:23:44 am »

Bobo, it looks like i'm in a similar boat to you, ive got an interact with a tnc155 controller that i'm trying to get to grips with. have you got anything up and running yet?
Regards,
Dan
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: