CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2019, 03:01:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a friend who's interested in HAAS mills, but I've never used one  (Read 191 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2019, 17:50:54 pm »

Can anyone here opine on the quality of HAAS mills AND their customer service?  I have a friend/acquaintance who is quite familiar with CNC operations (does laser-cutting and 3D printing), but has never owned a mill.

Thanks,
Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
jim1108
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 20:53:18 pm »

We had 6 HAAS mills where I used to work. I ran a VF-3, VF-4, VF-6, and then the newest VF-5 with a probe system, which was by far the best one being newer. The other's I ran were from 5-12 years old and were still holding tolerance. I think the VF-4 and VF-3 had a spindle problem that was covered under warranty on one of them. The other was out of warranty by about 7 years. But these were production machines that cut 13 chrome, 4140, 4340, stainless steel, the occasional inconel and monel, and aluminum, so take that into account.

Service was great...if you are in their service area. They carry most of the common parts that break on their truck.

The HAAS control was basically a Fanuc with a few extra bells and whistles.

Overall I liked them.

We also had a small tool room mill. It was ok, but you could not take big cuts.

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 21:09:30 pm »

Thank you!  Just what he wanted to hear.  I'll refer your comments (sans name) to him.

Yours,
Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:37:40 pm »

I used a VF2 during classes.  For the small parts we were doing it was flawless.  The control is user friendly.
dwc
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 12:41:29 pm »

Here in Switzerland Haas has a bad reputation, but both shops that I know that have them are happy with them.
I don't know more 'though.
Don

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 18:15:37 pm »

I keep looking at Haas myself.  Haven't heard a lot of issues, and there seem to be fewer unhappy customers than with the top "hobby" mill companies.  

"They all have problems" is a popular refrain you here when a lower quality company is being complained about.  Well its true.  They all have problems, but Haas (atleast in the states) appears to have fewer problems than most other companies.  I don't read all the forums anymore, but I used to read all the manufacturer specific boards on CNC Zone from time to time.  Most problems I read about with Haas were older machines and users who wanted to do their own repairs.  

That being said Hurco has a similar reputation, and I found customer service to be adequate.  

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 20:12:02 pm »

Haas is not one of the heavy iron machines they get compared to. If you are doing thousands or millions of parts a year, or hogging out massive blocks of steel for molds or need to hold really tight aerospace tolerances all the time then Haas is the wrong machine. If you want the best support for spare parts in the US then Haas would likely be your first choice.

Even though they are no longer made a Fadal is not a bad choice either in a used machine. Very simple design easily repaired and plenty of 3rd party support because at one time they outsold everyone. I ran one and liked the NOT strange Qwerty keyboard and they were very user friendly.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: