CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2019, 13:34:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mach + CutViewer  (Read 6307 times)
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2008, 23:22:04 pm »

I thought a new board for post processors would be a good idea as a few variations are appearing.

Here is a post processor I knocked up to stick in all the required comment blocks to pass stock and tool information to CutViewer Mill.

It is also a good example of using the PostProcessorMacros field under the machining options, to pass information to the post processor.

The  'Mach3-CV' post uses the following macros...cut and paste all these lines into the PostProcessorMacros property.  If you click the [...] button to the right you will get a multi-line text editor, which makes things easier to see.

$stock_length=150
$stock_width=150
$stock_height=12.7
$stock_x=75
$stock_y=75
$stock_z=12.7

Change the stock dimensions to suit.  The stock_x/y/z macros are the stock origin offsets.  In this example, the stock is centered about the origin, with the stock surface at z=0.

The PostProcessor and PostProcessorMacros can be set and saved to a cambam file, then this file used as DrawingTemplate (under tools options), so you don't need to keep setting these for new drawings.

With the CutViewer plugin installed and post processor set up, you should now be able to generate the gcode, then go Tools->Simulate with Cutviewer, to simulate without having to set up anything else in CutViewer.

EDIT:  There are some limitations to this processor.  At the moment tool diameter and taper are hard coded in as 0.  If you want to simulate with ball/bull nose cutters then you would need to change the post manually.

* Mach3-CV.cbpp (2.25 KB - downloaded 493 times.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 23:44:52 pm by 10bulls » Logged
Wrinklespot
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 21:36:02 pm »

I'm only now getting to grips with CutViewer, but I already have enough experience to be fed up with the repetitive typing of stock dimensions. So I had a play with Andy's post above, and hooray, it is now working for me.
I think it makes more sense to format the stock info like this:

$stock_width=40
$stock_length=70
$stock_height=10
$stock_x=20
$stock_y=35
$stock_z=10

as I found the width parameter corresponds to x, and length -> y.

Initially on paper, I did not see the benefit of Cutviewer over the free CNCSimulator, but now I'm using ball cutters with curves, CNCsimulator just doesn't do it, whilst Cutviewer has been brill. So I look forward to CamBam being able to pass along ball cutter info.
I'm using EMC2 so I modified its postprocessor (with near zero understanding) to do the stock info but I removed the tool stuff cos it didn't let me set up the ball cutter, and nor could I see how to edit the tools anywhere once they had been autoinserted wrongly.

It all just keeps getting better.

* EMC2_CV_no_ball.cbpp (2 KB - downloaded 414 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: