CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2019, 16:21:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Made TC Tapper - Video Coming Soon-ish  (Read 587 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2018, 16:56:16 pm »

I actually planned to make three of these.   Well, the first two blanks I cut on the bandsaw are now mostly scrap metal, but the third one finally works.  In the picture there is a commercially made one on the left, and my hack job on the right.  My first test with it was a failure, but I determined my nose piece was forcing the chuck off to one side.  Boring out the nose piece and allowing the chuck to float a little more allowed it to tap good holes.  

I still plan to make a couple more.  This first one made out of 304 stainless, because that's what I had on hand.  I think I'll use some 1144 Stressproof(tm) for the next ones.  Its fairly cheap, machines easily, and has incredible strength for a machinable alloy.  

The goal is have 3 or 4 of them on the tool rack and loaded in the tool table so I don't have to touch off every time I change among my most common taps sizes.  I've already figured out styles for the two taps that are loaded that automatically put in useable parameters using G84 and some semi scripted variables in the MOP settings.  All I have to do is select drill, select the style, and set the depth.  I got the rough information for passing the parameters from another post here on the forums.  By saving the format of the MOPs after testing to a style I only have to do it once for each tap size.  I've done 18 and 32 tpi tapping so far.  I can see where I might have to adjust the dwell time for really fast aps or really slow taps, but from 18 to 32 its close enough and does not use much of the tension or compression travel.  (in aluminum)  Maybe 2 threads.  I'm not brave enough to use it for blind holes, yet, but its worked great for through holes.  

Al that being said, the bulk of my tapping will probably still be on one of the drill presses with tapping heads.  Only one of my mills is suitable for this type of operation. 

* TC Tapper.jpg (301.07 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 125 times.)

* Tool Table.jpg (157.07 KB, 720x960 - viewed 100 times.)

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 17:00:40 pm »

The nose piece on the body is a heavy press fit.  Since its stainless it probably galled going in, and (its stainless afterall) it will probably never come out.  I'm thinking of just using an internal snap rig to retain the springs on the next ones.  It will allow me to set the chuck closer to the body, and reduce the overall length of the tool.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 17:02:15 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 17:08:44 pm »

Boy, you come looong way from where you started Bob. Nice work. Cheesy

My 2ยข
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 19:05:23 pm »

Yeah! Nice stuff, Bob.  I have a tapping stand, but haven't yet made any tapping adapters for my mill.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 16:50:21 pm »

So far I've had good results with both my hack job and the commercial tapper at 500 RPM.  Lots of guys run the same commercial one at 750 RPM, and a few run it faster.    Mine has more travel so it would have more safety margin if run faster.

I can actually tap a bunch of holes faster with the drill press and a tapping head, but sometimes I want to let the machine do it.  Usually if the parts are small and hard to hold securely, or if I want to tap in place like using the glue and tape method to hold stock to a sacrificial backer until I can drill clamping screw holes.  Its definitely faster than hand tapping those holes in place on the machine. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: