CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2018, 19:53:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Servo motor problems  (Read 519 times)
cncobsession
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2018, 22:39:00 pm »

Hello,

I am beyond my realm of knowledge here and can use some help.

I have a K2 CNC 3-axis machine (who is now out of business) and I am having problems with the Y-axis servo.  At times it jambs up and locks in place.  It is unpredictable as to when it may happen and at times it gets very hot.  I am thinking that I should replace it but I cannot find a replacement on-line.  I am not sure that 1) I know what I'm looking for or 2) I'm looking in the right places.

I have attached pics.  If you could help me solve this I promise to laugh at your jokes and tell you that you are good looking.

Thanks,
Morgan

* Servo 1.jpg (2088.45 KB, 4032x1960 - viewed 24 times.)

* Servo 2.jpg (1754.65 KB, 4032x1960 - viewed 24 times.)

* Servo 3.jpg (1966.81 KB, 4032x1960 - viewed 24 times.)

I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little.  I know everything about nothing, and nothing about everything else.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 22:50:16 pm »

It might be cheaper to do a bit more trouble-shooting.  IF you have separate servo driver boards, and IF they are identical, I'd first swap X and Y and see if the problem tracks the board.  If it does, the problem is the board.

If not separate servo drivers, and IF the servo motors are the same for both X and Y, swap the motors, and again see if the problem tracks the motor swap.  If it does, the problem is the motor.

Overheating of a motor (by itself) does not necessarily mean the motor is bad.  The problem could even be a 'sticky' (say, dirty, galled, or under-lubricated) Y screw.

I recently had a similar problem in X on my bed router, and it turned out to be a bad ball nut, and the wrong lubricant!

Try to isolate the problem to a single component before you start buying expensive items!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 23:16:29 pm »

Just the fact it actually runs, and gets hot, and jams up says it isn't likely to be the motor unless the brushes are worn out, which is almost always an easy fix.  However it is much more likely the motor is overloaded due to a mechanical issue.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 15:03:45 pm »

I believe K2CNC is now VeloxCNC.  Possibly that VeloxCNC was created by the guys from K2CNC.  Anyway, there is a relationship there. 

You do not have to replace with an identical servo motor.  Just a similar one and use a compatible encoder that will work with your servo drives. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 15:32:22 pm »

It looks like the small one here; https://www.ebay.com/itm/k2-CNC-Servo-Motor-TC9-or-TC10-/201415842278

also try here; https://www.cncrepair.us/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 15:36:57 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 16:19:51 pm »

Man!  They're proud of them, aren't they?

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
cncobsession
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 23:30:43 pm »

Lots of good info given.

Thankls

I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little.  I know everything about nothing, and nothing about everything else.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: