CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 16, 2019, 21:44:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: roughing cycle for outline contur  (Read 2270 times)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 00:03:37 am »

Hello

Is it possible to generate path like in the video?

Not with the built-in MOPs, but if you'r a coder, you can write a plugin to do a MOP that generate such toolpaths Wink

++
David
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 02:28:10 am »

The demonstration is nice but in about 20 years I can’t think of a task I’ve done that would have benefited from that outside operation. It kind of works only if you can grip the part below the cutting plane, maybe with a sacrificial piece you cut off like the 5 axis guys. For me most of effort comes in figuring out how to hold a part for machining. I really appreciate holding tabs in CamBam so I can just profile the part out of the stock and it stays put while holding the scrap around the outside.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:21 am »

A while ago, I needed something like the tool paths the OP was looking for, I was trying to figure out a better method
of cutting out the tool rests for the turret build, I had originally set out the geometry for the tool rests (all six of them)
out of 12 mm plate, The problem was that it was taking too much time hours and hours.

So I made a fixture to hold the parts and cut out the shapes of the tool rests leaving 2 mm around the outside periphery
and then sat the material on the fixture and used the shrinking tool paths strategy.

This saved more than half the cutting time on the mill, of course I had too cut them out individually
(also drilled the bolt hole and dowel pin holes)from a piece of flat bar and that took roughly 20 minutes to cut them
out, so with the six rough cut pieces, I then bolted each one onto the fixture, and at full depth used the shrinking
tool paths, I'd created in CB.
Each successive mop had a Roughing clearance 0.25 mm smaller than the next, until I got to the finishing mop.
The first few I cut out to rough size with the grinder were all over the place 2 mm here 4 mm there sort of thing.

I got much better at this as I realised that this added extra machining time, and now that I have a Band-saw, I've got much better
at keeping the tolerances (making a fence for the band-saw helped allot.

I found a pic of one being cut, and here is a shot of the CB screen so you can see what I mean.

I just made many mops, each with a progressively smaller roughing clearance.
I know this is not quite what the OP wanted (Freecad now has some HSM capabilities), but you can do this with CB right now.
The only problem doing it this way was that you had to edit the Roughing offset in each mop and if you have many mops
it gets old pretty quick. When I get the time (I'm up to my armpits in chips right now) I'm going to make an On Mass Mop Editor
to save time and save mistakes.

Dave

* Cutting a tool rest.png (1026.5 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 34 times.)

* Shrinking Tool Paths.PNG (336.24 KB, 1302x595 - viewed 30 times.)
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 16:01:44 pm »

+1 for the on mass MOP editor.

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 11:58:36 am »

I just made many mops, each with a progressively smaller roughing clearance.
I've done that too.
Most recently I use a Profile MOP with cut width. Works even on open polylines.
Set the cut width = width of desired milled amount + tool diameter - step over. Step over percentage is calculated and set by me in the same MOP. Roughing clearance may be applied at the same time.

* CutWidthExample.jpg (190.76 KB, 686x489 - viewed 15 times.)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 00:36:26 am »

Good Tip Fly, I'll keep it in mind.
qwerty
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 20:49:46 pm »

Not with the built-in MOPs, but if you'r a coder, you can write a plugin to do a MOP that generate such toolpaths Wink
OK, I was just curious. No, I cannot Sad

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: