CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 22:24:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Get the Z position of a 3D surface under the mouse pointer  (Read 302 times)
Mark81
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:22:57 am »

Is there, or it's even possible to write, a plugin that shows the Z position of the 3D surface as the mouse moves? In the status bar there are the X, Y mouse coordinates, I would like to know how deep is the surface at that point.
The best would be a real-time update of this value, without have to "ask" for it (like get object extremas for example).
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 17:50:54 pm »

There is now  Cheesy
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7631.msg61246#msg61246
Mark81
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 19:37:22 pm »

Wow, great! But I'm having some weird behavior with version 1.0.
When I press 'z' nothing happens, but if I press it several times then a zpos appears. Other few 'z' press and another measurement is made, but after a couple of messages it "cycles" among them. I mean it doesn't append another message, but it just highlights a previous row.

Please let me know if I can try something specific so my feedback might be more useful.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 20:06:22 pm »

Keep z pressed all the time, do not keep releasing it, and move the mouse over a surface.
Mark81
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 09:58:49 am »

Ok, now I get consistent readings, but the last problem is it takes a lot of time to make a measurement (about 1 per second) hence when I release the key, it continues to show messages for a lot of time! I'm afraid it's because it tries to make a measurement for each "key press/repeat" event and appends them all in a sort of queue. When I move the mouse it takes 10-15 seconds before it returns the actual value under the current position!

I think it would be better if the plugin starts a new measurement only when the previous one has completed, using the updated mouse coordinates read at that moment.

EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 12:17:17 pm »

You should have Tools->Options->Display Mode = OpenGL otherwise it sounds like you may have a slow computer.
In any case the values are updated only when the mouse is moved, so if you move the mouse slowly, that should solve your problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: