CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2018, 13:40:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: STEP File resolution  (Read 1028 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 08:36:20 am »

I am following this thread with great interest.
Lately I've been getting customer files in .stp format which I have to adapt for 2.5D and sometimes for 3D work - generate drafts and export to .dxf or export to .stl. Would be nice if possible to work directly.
Ive tried removing all surface objects using David's plugin and then join manually the linear geometry but it is a slow and difficult task.
If I open a .stp file in FreeCAD it retains its edges as continuous closed curves while in CamBam everything becomes exploded to the simplest shape.

And I also enjoy Andy's presence here Smiley

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
dwc
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:21 am »

I see that the new verson 1.0 is supposed to be able to import STEP files.
What are the limitations to this import?
I have files that import OK and files that cause CB to crash and I see no real differrence other than the file size.
A file of 225k imports OK, a file of 290k causes CB to crash.
Is it the file size that causes a problem or could it be something else?
Both files are created with Alibre 2018 in STEP 203 format.
Thanks in advance for your insights.
Don

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 14:16:09 pm »

I am following this thread with great interest.
Lately I've been getting customer files in .stp format which I have to adapt for 2.5D and sometimes for 3D work - generate drafts and export to .dxf or export to .stl. Would be nice if possible to work directly.
Ive tried removing all surface objects using David's plugin and then join manually the linear geometry but it is a slow and difficult task.
If I open a .stp file in FreeCAD it retains its edges as continuous closed curves while in CamBam everything becomes exploded to the simplest shape.

And I also enjoy Andy's presence here Smiley
I think the problem is that CamBam is really not importing the stp and working with it as an stp file, however it does appear to be working with all the source geometry.   Lines curves and surfaces.  It converts the surfaces to meshes.  I don't use FreeCAD much, but it may be automatically creating a solid.  I know ViaCAD gives you the option of creating a solid when you import an stp file.  I always do that, maybe if I do not select that option it would be more like CB except that I am sure it would show surfaces and not meshes.  

As a note of interest you can join meshes in CamBam.  I have not done much experimentation with that to know the limits.  

I see that the new verson 1.0 is supposed to be able to import STEP files.
What are the limitations to this import?
I have files that import OK and files that cause CB to crash and I see no real differrence other than the file size.
Both files are created with Alibre 2018 in STEP 203 format.
Thanks in advance for your insights.
Don
I had not run across Don's limitation before, but so far I have only done testing with simple objects.  If more complex shapes (larger) would cause crashes or load failures then it would make the feature of limited use.  Part of the appeal of using step files is the retention of all that other geometry, and the ability to open complete or near complete designs.

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 14:58:36 pm »

The problem is, currently there are no native CamBam drawing objects that correspond to all the various STEP types.

So with this initial STEP support, the surfaces are being converted to meshes when the file is loaded.
As well as causing performance and memory bottle necks, unfortunately this results in the mesh resolution needing to be 'baked in' when the file is loaded.

Once V1 is current, work on V1.1 will begin where we can start to address this.  The first step being to add new drawing types that mirror the step types.
This will result in the files being much faster to load, and converting to meshes can be deferred until the object needs to be displayed etc.  The mesh resolution will be configurable at any point.
Much of the groundwork to do this is in place but it will require 'breaking changes' to the CamBam file format, hence putting it off until the next big update.

But there will be improvements before then.  I have added a configurable resolution setting that will be in the next release, which should help with your dimpled ball problem Bob!
So if anyone has any STEP files they would like to share, here or emailing to support @ cambamcnc.com, that will be a big help!

Many thanks for your help everyone!
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 17:27:10 pm »

A new file format would not be a huge issue as long as there is an option to convert old file formats to the new format.  Maybe a utility plug-in to do it. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 20:43:37 pm »

topic merged with dwc new subject

Hello

maybe it's not due to file size ; I loaded a 18MB step file without problem as you can see here
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6288.msg51529#msg51529

For me, I think that the files that crashed are those that contain "surfaces" ; Andy can explain more than me, but I think it's because the file contain Bspline surfaces or something like this.

Unfortunately, I've no file that cause crash on hand, but only files that give a bad geometry.

++
David

Edit: another discussion about 3D here
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6488.0
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 21:20:02 pm by dh42 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: