CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 28, 2020, 16:49:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forked Tree  (Read 2126 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2018, 17:38:57 pm »

How about an ability to split the tree?  

The ability to have two trees instead of one down the side of the screen.  A Geome-Tree and a Machiner-Tree.

One complaint I have is often loosing track of a Machine-OP whil selecting geometry.  It was mentioned by another user as well.  Their solution was the ability to force the tree to remain as displayed.  I see issues with that as well.  The ability to split and even move the trees would allow for continuing to see the operation and to see the selected geometry in the tree as well.  

Also it might be handy to leave the system menu tree swappable with the geometry tree.  I often want to do things between proven MOPs and newly created styles, but I can't tink of a time when I needed to see the gemomtry tree and the system tree at the sam etime.  

To go a step further it might be useful to be able to park the trees outside the CamBam window frame.  I sometimes do this with things I don't want to hide, but are in the way in my CAD software.  I'll park that menu, tree, or tool bar on my second monitor if I need to clear the viewing area for a little bit. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 17:42:20 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 19:46:59 pm »

Split panels or not, I still insist on making autoexpansion configurable Smiley
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 22:32:02 pm »

Personally I think two trees is wrong, the ability to select expansion or not would be the correct way for me.

Made in England
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:23:05 am »

You think two panels is wrong?  Why?

Multiple menus or flyouts is very very very handy in other software.  Is it inherent in CamBam that greater flexibility would be damaging and harmful?  

I'm not against the ability to lock your view if you want, but I think it would be very (EXTREMELY) useful  to be able to see both bits of data simultaneously.  As it is now or with your solution of locking the panel you can never see both at once.  (well unless you have so little going on you can see it all anyway.) 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:24:47 am by Bob La Londe » Logged

EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:51:15 am »

Due to a head of fuzzy logic last night I didn't have two panels in mind when I said that but after using Rhino this morning I can see that several Tabs might work provided the user could drag a vertical bar to make them as wide or narrow as required to keep the drawing area large.

It looks like two Tabs could be , Layers, Machining.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:57:26 am by EddyCurrent » Logged

Made in England
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:37:46 am »

Has anyone played with Blender?

That has an extremely flexible method of splitting the user interface by just clicking and dragging a handle (handles for forks ! Grin ), then a bunch of small icons at the bottom of each panel to control what is displayed.

Maybe this would be rather extreme (it is very quick and easy to muddle up your interface), but maybe worth looking at for inspiration.

Expanding layer option still a good idea too...

pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:37:20 am »

I used to play, now I work with it. But I never really made the switch from C4D. This is mainly due to the inconsistent UI.
(it is very quick and easy to muddle up your interface)
And you have to do that every time you start the program. Above all, Blender never learned to work with multiple monitors. Every time you start, you have to reconfigure everything.
Ideas can perhaps be used, but a professional execution is necessary. Otherwise Blender always remains a toy. There is simply no way to get things done quickly for a moment.
My 3D formats remain linked to C4D. The UI is simple and logical and, above all, can be operated with a few shortcuts.
A similar chaotic UI has Zbrush.

Cambam is easy and fast to use. It also can't remember pallet positions on multiple monitors, but there aren't that many windows you need either. Numerical Move/Rotate and Align are the windows I need.

For me it would be important to change the version. At least one beta would be nice.
Adobe has the courage to release full versions despite many bugs. Cambam has only a handful of bugs left, less than ever before.
I still have to write a manual for version 1 when it is finished. I'm old, I can't live forever.

ralf
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:40:24 am by pixelmaker » Logged
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 12:46:28 pm »

Maybe tabbed panels are a good idea. My request about layer tree expansion is based on my 20+ experience with CorelDraw. There, with a single click, I can disable layer tree expansion, hide layer or lock it against editing/selecting. But even on locked layers snapping will work and is very helpful when drawing new shapes on a new layer imposed over the locked one.  There also is the concept of 'dockers' - draggable panels which snap to screen sides when dragged to it but can be detached by dragging too, and placed where the user likes. Like the 'Align' or 'Move' dialogs or various user plugin dialogs which stay on screen until closed by the user. And they can be turned on/off from the 'View' menu.

And, BTW, while we speak about dialogs, is it necessary to make them translucent when not active? I think this is a gimmick that does not have any practical usage but causes problems with the display modes and video drivers.

jk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 13:40:29 pm »

A bit offtopic, but still close and worth discussing.

IMHO it would be nice to have a visual links between mops and geometry.
If geometry objects are selected, corresponding mops are (subtle) highlighted.
If mop is selected, assigned geometry objects are highlighted.

If branch of tree is collapsed, layer (or part) may be highlighted to indicate the linked content.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 18:58:20 pm »

That has an extremely flexible method of splitting the user interface by just clicking and dragging a handle (handles for forks ! Grin ),

Fork 'andles; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_6SaqVQSw

Made in England
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 19:19:49 pm »

The big thing of course would be to remember the setup last time the program was closed.  

I have used CamBam across two monitors, but the borders can be a mental stumbling block.  I do use VIACAD with all my flyouts, snaps selection matrix, and inspector on monitor two sometimes.  It can be very handy when I want to see everything.

I often use CAMBAM open on monitor two and other work on monitor one.  Some plugin and feature menus do appear on monitor one or wherever I place them, but it would be able to unanchor the tree(s) as well.  

The big issues I have with ViaCad is it is not monitor OS aware.  That is if I have to swap monitor 1/2 or only turn on one monitor for some reason it can lose some meus so you can't find them. 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 19:21:39 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: