CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2018, 21:01:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates  (Read 1362 times)
jim1108
Droid

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2018, 14:21:45 pm »

Hello to all.

Is it necessary to do a complete uninstall and re-install when there is an update?

Or will the update just overwrite the old version. I noticed 1.0 just had a new update and was wondering which way is best.

I have all my post, tool list, and styles backed up already.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 14:42:40 pm »

You should just be able to run the installer.

...But it is always a wise idea to make sure you have your system folder backed up, even if not updating.

V1.0 installs into different program and system folders so you can run version 0.9.8 and 1.0 alongside each other.
The installer should update any existing installations of the same major versions.
Occasionally windows installer may run into problems where it may be necessary to uninstall old versions first, but
usually this is not required.

V1.0 requires the V4 .NET framework, so if you will need that enabling in Control Panel, Programs and Features (or downloaded and installing for older versions of Windows like XP).

Only version 0.9.8 will be associated with .cb files by default, but if you want to move over to using V1.0 there is a new menu option 'Tools - set file associations' which all make the current CamBam versions the default application for .cb files.

There will be another V1.0 update in the next day or so, which includes some extra bug fixes.

jim1108
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 15:28:30 pm »

Thanks for the info. Version 1.0 has been running smooth on windows 10. I made the switch 1 month ago.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 19:26:28 pm »

It seems file associations cannot be set on the good-ole XP.
Ordinary user although with administrator rights causes a CB crash message while it seems CB runs OK.
Using the administrator account and password no messages appear.
But nothing changes. Double clicking on a .cb file invokes the 0.9.8 installer.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 17:29:17 pm »

Using the administrator account and password no messages appear.

I get a different behavior on XP pro (sp3) ; admin session.

When I set file association, I get the following request (picture)

If I just click OK, file association is not done ; If I uncheck the box surrounded in red, the file association works, but only one time ; the first time I run a project trough it's icon, CB1.0 is used, but the second time and others, it's the 0.98 that is used. Using the "set file association" again, change nothing it's still 0.98 that is used.

uninstalling and reinstalling CB1.0, and the "set file association" works again, but also only one time.

If I set the file association with the normal way (in windows icon properties), then the CB1.0 now run each time.

I do not tried what happens if CB0.98 is not installed.

++
David

* Sans titre-5.jpg (91.96 KB, 908x612 - viewed 33 times.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 17:38:08 pm by dh42 » Logged
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 18:04:04 pm »

Oops, maybe different behavior is because I'm testing the R16_2 (cambam.CAD 1.0.6752.163  cambam 1.0.6752.168) and yours is probably R15

++
David
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 18:06:23 pm by dh42 » Logged
pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 18:40:03 pm »

Oops, maybe different behavior is because I'm testing the R16_2

Hello David
I have a problem with the new versions, or better how to handle them.
I only get to know from you, always by the way, that there is a new version again. Now you are writing about a 16_2.
I can still change the URL, but at: "http://www.cambam.co.uk/downloads/dw/CamBamPlus-1.0-alpha16_2.msi" I get nothing.

This way testing and collaborating makes no fun. If you don't want me testing anymore, I can let it.
I used to get an email when a new version was released. Today I can only guess.

ralf
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 19:18:13 pm »

Hello Ralf

Still called 16, it's me that called it _2  Embarrassed (because it's the 2nd release for R16)

http://www.cambam.co.uk/downloads/dw/CamBamPlus-1.0-alpha16.msi

It seems that the FTP still does not works (I made a feedback to Andy, but no change yet)

Revision alpha 16 changes - 2018-06-26

Changed folder writing permission check.
    Bugfix - DXF block rotation was not being applied. bug #41
    Bugfix - max stepover incorrect. bug #42
    Bugfix - for 3D profile molds with ball nose cutters / roughing. bug#38 (still a pb ; look at my message)
    Bugfix - 3D profile glitches on vertical sections. bug #47
    Bugfix - ensure polyline offset direction consistent with source. bug #3 and #4 (a bug remain on the lugs with the bottom right shape on my image http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4271.msg32836#msg32836 )

Holding tab improvements when lead in/outs lie within tab. bug #37 (still bad with spiral leadout)

the only changes in 16_2 is for setting permission ... and it does not works with user session, the config file can't be overwritten.

++
David
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 19:28:57 pm by dh42 » Logged
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 21:15:53 pm »

This way testing and collaborating makes no fun. If you don't want me testing anymore, I can let it.
I used to get an email when a new version was released. Today I can only guess.
Sorry Ralf, I very much appreciate your testing and collaboration.

Alpha16 was not supposed to be announced yet.  I currently just inform David, which gives me time to sanity check it and fix obvious dumb mistakes (usually this is just 24hours or so).
Sometimes the download may change a couple of times before I'm happy to announce it.

I am also conscious of not wasting peoples time testing obvious errors that can be easily fixed, so we can all concentrate on more important issues. If something is not fixed for one person it seems inconsiderate to ask a dozen other people to test it as well.

This could all definitely be improved though, and I am working on a plan to improve the development release process, issue tracking etc.  I will explain this more soon.

The only thing holding up announcing alpha16 was the ongoing permissions related issues but it looks like this still needs more work, so I will go ahead announcing the release as is, so we can test the more important CAM aspects.

So apologies again.  I am very grateful to keep everyone 'in the loop' so we can all keep CamBam improving!

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 21:40:36 pm »

So far, all updates are working and 'behaving' well on latest win 10. The only thing that is consistent the upgrade from v9.8 to v1 and recent updates won't retain 'inch' tool table that I have, it always restores default, and as just discovered this, the Style library is not retained as well.. Good thing, I keep a copy of it just for that to be able to restore it. The script, plugins libraries are fine.      
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 21:50:50 pm by Bubba » Logged

My 2ยข
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: