CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2018, 00:57:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Protection for weather-exposed tools  (Read 162 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2018, 22:24:32 pm »

I encountered a hint on-line about how to protect 'outside' equipment. (don't remember the link, it was on a machining forum)

I have a NEW bench vise mounted on a short section of old power pole that is outside the fully-enclosed portion of my shop.  It's 'under roof', but pretty-much exposed to weather in this open work barn.  I was worried about its rusting (like the old one did).  So I looked around for solutions, and found this:

I took an old tee shirt, and impregnated it with enough clean engine oil to make it only 'slightly' oily to the touch, but fully-impregnated.  I used a combination of oil and some mineral spirits to limit the amount of actual oil in the fabric.

After the min-spir dried, I draped it over the vise.  It's still porous enough to 'breathe', but it repels moisture.  After five weeks in the 'open', the vise hasn't rusted a bit!  Light wind-blown rain mist has fallen on the vise twice, and still not a sign of rust.

This might help some folks who have tools exposed to outside humidity, but who want to preserve them.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
llamatrails
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:13:18 am »

oil·skin
ˈ
noun: oil-skin
heavy cotton cloth waterproofed with oil.
a garment or set of garments made of oilskin cloth.
plural noun: oilskins

Wink

TIA,

Rick
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:00:07 pm »

Oh, I'm familiar with 'oil skin'.  I once had a "nor-easter" rain parka thus made.

But this is nothing like oil skin.  It is impregnated with only the merest trace of oil.  But the most significant feature is that it's quite porous (made of cotton jersey), yet still effectively waterproof.  It freely allows water vapor OUT, but liquid water is kept out.

OTOH, unlike oil skin, I'm sure this cover would leak if placed in a direct rainfall.  This is for equipment that's under cover, but exposed to fog and humid air.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: