CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2018, 06:15:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone in the US who has an unused ISA-bus computer?  (Read 292 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:05:41 am »

I have a friend who cannot afford a new machine, and whose computer has bellied-up, permanently.

He needs an ISA-bus computer (to accommodate his ISA controller board) that (preferrably) has XP on it, and can handle just ONE full-length ISA board.

Anyone have anything like that just 'lying around'?

Thanks,
Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 02:41:33 am »

Might have one if we didn’t toss it. I’ll check in the morning.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:13:52 am »

Id have to look,  but I may have several, but not unused.

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 13:00:24 pm »

Thanks, both!

Bob, by "not unused", do you mean "still in use", or just "not new"?  It certainly does not have to be 'virgin' equipment.  This is an old chunk of hardware!

But since XP can no longer be 'registered', we're trying to find such a machine with XP (either home or pro) already installed.

Thank you, fellas!

Lloyd

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 15:09:59 pm »

There is a registration hack for XP, but XP its not pretty.  Its been years since I ran across it.  You might find it someplace like Pirate Bay, but there is no telling what else you might catch with a visit there.  

Ununused usually means new or new old stock.  While there might be some around its going to be hard to find "that guy."  

That being said, in the early 90s I was that guy.  I bought hundreds of boards for XTs for a dollar a board so I could continue to support the guys who couldn't afford to upgrade to an AT.  I made a few dollars doing it too.  It was nickel dollar stuff, but it was easy money.  Mostly memory upgrades.  Some other things.  MFM-A and RLL boards were popular too.  Gave them more hard drive without buying a bigger hard drive.  I don't know how many 10meg drives I turned into 15 meg drives for guys who were thrilled to get the upgrade.  Used the heck out my parallel (home made) laplink cable back then.  Used to have guys just show up at my house and say all I have is $XX.00.  Can you do anything for me.  Felt like a drug dealer.  Some of my neighbors might have thought I was.  LOL.  Back then I was into motorcycles and there were always two or three or four park in front of my garage. 

I have a bunch of computers locked up that I have not gotten around to data wiping.  Most will be PCI though.  I'll have a look.   I even have a couple old pretty cool multi processor (multi socket) servers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 15:14:13 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 15:39:11 pm »

Thanks, Bob!
No, it needn't be new, just so long as it works, wears XP, and has at least one ISA slot that's not filled with a video card.  Even back then, most MOBOs were 'integrated display', so there's a chance!

I've done the XP 'hack' (the only one that lasts more than two weeks and "three tries and you die") on my router, until I can finish the Mach3 upgrade.  It doesn't bother me to see all the natter it produces.  But my friend knows absolutely zero about computers, and wouldn't be able to cope with that, I'm afraid.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Yours,
Lloyd

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: