CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 15:46:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Air cooling... finally doing it!  (Read 471 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2018, 18:13:02 pm »

I'm in the process of adding air-blast cooling to our router.  We have a contract to mill THIN acrylic sheets, and everyone recommends air-blast for that job (if the machine can't manage liquid coolant).

Oddly-enough, I had ALL the parts I needed except for the flexible air hose to run through the cable guides.  I'm obtaining that today or tomorrow.

This control doesn't permit an M-code for coolant flow, unless you BUY the feature for a couple of hundred dollars, and UPGRADE the control for more than a 'grand'...  So, for now, I'm just going to put a manual valve on it.

When I finally get the time off projects to do my 'final upgrade', Mach-3 will be on the machine, and it'll allow that valve control, automatically.

Yes, I've TRIED Mach-3 on it already, and it works fine, but we have so many jobs for the theme parks this summer, we cannot find the time to both convert all our g-code files AND take the chance of encountering a problem... so we still have to struggle with that NASTY Centroid control soft.

We just got an order for 22 pieces a night for just ONE show at one park, all the way through September.  That one order will keep us running 2 days a week!  We're already supplying four other shows to that same park.

Lloyd
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 19:36:35 pm by lloydsp » Logged

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 20:30:16 pm »

You can wire an air valve to the spindle on/off control, directly or by a relay. And use a switch to allow it to start with the spindle or not. If using a relay you can add a second switch to turn air on/off while the machine is idle.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 21:02:41 pm »

Yeah, I can do that.  But this is only a 'temporary' setup.  When I convert to Mach-3, I'll add the relay, valve, and M-codes to do it under 'M-code command', rather than just when the spindle comes on.

It's a minor temporary inconvenience, for low-volume jobs.  (I probably won't run one of these acrylic sheets more than once a month).

Lloyd

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 15:57:58 pm »

NASTY Centroid control soft.

Huh?!  I thought you put a Centroid control on your mill and loved it. 

As to switching an air solenoid valve for "cooling" you still need a low current trigger relay or contactor for it with Mach or your current setup triggered off the spindle on lead.  Just the trigger source would change.  Why not go ahead and slap it on there. 

Now, if you are just using a ball valve and manually turning on the air... 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 17:40:53 pm »

DUH!  You're right!  I love my Centroid!  I meant the control that shipped with the ShopSabre --WinCNC!
(Boy, I screwed THAT up! <grin>)

Yeah... I have all the electric valves, relays, switches, etc to do a proper installation with Mach-3.  I just don't see the need right now to install all that, when I can just toggle a handle to turn on the cooling air, and the controller will NOT support the feature, anyway.

When I 'permanently' convert the software (hopefully during this coming fall-winter season), I'll bet it won't take me more than an hour to install and check the M-code hardware and software to turn the air on and off at will.

Lloyd

dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 19:26:35 pm »

Hello

When I 'permanently' convert the software (hopefully during this coming fall-winter season), I'll bet it won't take me more than an hour to install and check the M-code hardware and software to turn the air on and off at will.

Yes, it is easy ; In Mach3 M8 and M9 are already defined (internally) to switch on/off the Output#4 (error, see further) and are used for cooling/air, so you just need to define the port and pin values for this output#4, according to the pin that drive the 2nd relay of the BoB if existing. On the standard Mach3 UI, a button is also already present on the main screen to manually switch the coolant/air on/off.

++
David
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 20:03:27 pm by dh42 » Logged
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 19:34:58 pm »

Yep, Agree with comments here. I use 12V Dc air solenoid connected to SSR controlled by Mach3 to turn on off mist on my mill..

My 2ยข
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 20:07:14 pm »

Oops, a little error in my last post.  Embarrassed

M7 and M8 are internally defined (are not VB script macro), but the Output# can be changed on this panel.

So M7 and M8 can be used for different output# and different cooling systems.

On the picture, both M7 and M8 are set to Output#2

M9 switch off both M8 and M9

++
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: