CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2018, 10:42:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Masking Tape and Super Glue  (Read 480 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:59:14 am »

I think I might have seen this before, but a question we often get is about work holding.  Particular fully machined pieces or machining thru sheet. 

I recently watched a video by NYCCNC where they put a machined flat piece in the vise (or maybe directly on the table) and coated it with masking tape.  Then they coated the bottom side of the work piece with masking tape.  After that they spread cyanoacrylate glue on the base piece and stuck the work piece to it.  Afterwards they pried the work piece(s) off the base plate and peeled off the tape. 

It might not work for tiny parts, but it sure worked a treat for the parts he was making. 

He set the tool relative to the first layer of tape, and cut to that depth.  He cut all the way through the stock without cutting his base plate. 

There was a step where he sprayed something on the first layer of tape.  Maybe something to activate the glue? 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:16:11 am »

HI Bob
Looked like this stuff. http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802628435969
Dave
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 22:43:32 pm »

This is a great idea and an ideal solution recently stumbled on for me as well.  This past few weeks I've been adding v-rails to my XYZ axis aluminum angle rails.  For years I just let the v-groove bearings ride on the square edge of 3/4" x 3/4" angle aluminum rails and over time the bearings shave off the corners, (er, ah, actually they kind of fold over the corners of the aluminum rails to conform their fit to them.  After some time, I noticed the rolling friction seem to increase inconsistently up and down the X and Y rails. So I decided to fix this on all axes these past weeks.

I found really nice v-rail add-ons from Brian in Nantick MA. They show in this cross-sectional drawing in red, sitting on the upper and lower edges of the aluminum angle rails.  The opposing angle aluminum rails are captured by 1/4-20 hex head bolts (shown in green) through the 3/4" MDO table surface for the X=axis.  The angle aluminum is held in place with the same size bolt for the Y and Z axis rails but tighten in place using barrel nuts.  The v-rails come in black anodized or not and are shipped with two rail's (of the same length) with their 90 degree angles nested together, held with thin electricians tape wrapping them.

This gave me the idea to drill the 6-32 machine screw mounting holes through the sides of both v-rails at the same time.  After drilling the holes for a 6-32 tap size (#28 drill) (4" centers on the long rails and 2" centers for the short rails), I unwrapped the tape holding two v-rails together, cleaned and degreased them along with their support angle aluminum, then put a single drop of Super Glue near the v-rail drill holes and clamped the v-rails to their respective aluminum angles.  Here is where I wished I had thought of CA accelerator (since I had some from my RC model airplane days).

I let the CA cure for several hours, removed the clamps, then using the v-rail holes as drill guides, drilled through the angle aluminum on the drill press with the same #28 bit.  Next the v-rails were separated from their angle aluminum using a chisel to pry slightly with, and it didn't take much force at all.  The v-rail holes were then drilled with a #36 drill for a 6-32 screw body size.  The holes in the angle aluminum were tapped for the 6-32 screws.  Hole alignment was perfect for this v-rail marriage.

* X V-GrooveBearing Layout XYZ 3View.jpg (170.53 KB, 1071x906 - viewed 43 times.)

airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: