CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 21:57:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two new projects for the shop.  (Read 2482 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 19:03:45 pm »

Man!  I LOVE this kind of work!  I wish I could do this for a living, instead of just an adjunct to 'making stuff'!

I'm still working on the design for the 'teeter table' top for the lift platform.  I had an inspiration.

I was working on a means to 'latch' the table stably in either the vertical or horizontal positions, but 'reach' of the user made it difficult to operate any mechanical latches, depending upon its position.

Then, I had that 'inspiration', and with a little playing with geometry, figured out a way to make the sheet stable in both positions without ANY mechanical fasteners.  It's all geometry, not hardware.

I'm now working on the 'actual weights' (Lots of arithmetic), making sure that even a small woman could manipulate a sheet on the device, while still having adequate stability so as not to present a hazard while moving the table.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 20:36:19 pm »

Lloyd,
I must be having fun then. I do this kind of stuff pretty much every day!

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 20:40:05 pm »

Heh, Gary!

I LOVE the 'engineering' part.  Actually making stuff is kind of boring, once the details have been worked-out!

I envy your role!

Lloyd

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 00:46:47 am »

I LOVE the 'engineering' part.
I guess I was lucky, having to work in 'Experimental" department for 25 years in local aircraft company. Designing hydroform tooling and making parts for various projects, 'quiet spey hash kits', for very noisy spey engines, Landing gear tests, lots of load fixtures, Latest project before retiring early due to medical reason was the 'Quiet Spike" Yes. I can say I was lucky..

My 2¢
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 12:41:36 pm »

Lloyd,
I grew up in the electrical contracting business with my dad and took over running the company at 24 when he was incompacitated by a stroke. I did half of the estimating of how we did jobs. I was interested right up until I had it figured out, then doing the actual qoute bored me terribly. I had 21 employees and right before my 30th birthday I walked away from it, leaving the company to my younger brother.

Since then I have invented all kinds of stuff in different fields and got a couple of patents too.  Everything I invented has worked well and made money, for others not for me. This has really upset my wife as we were doing really well financially before I quit the electrical business.  I on the other hand enjoy my job almost everyday. Right now I have two young engineers and a shop working on my ideas. My biggest worry is we are going to fail again as a company because the owners ego is blowing money at an incredible rate and I can’t see it continuing much longer.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 14:52:38 pm »

"My biggest worry is we are going to fail again as a company because the owners ego is blowing money at an incredible rate and I can’t see it continuing much longer."
------------

You're the owner, right? <grin>

I had to downgrade after 'the storm'.  Right now, except for just a little (and only occasional) part-time help, I'm back to being a one-man-band.  But I'm also more-profitable than I was before.  Go fig'!  Less capacity, more actual dollars of profit!  Yeah... employees of any ilk are an expensive commodity.

Lloyd
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 14:55:48 pm by lloydsp » Logged

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 21:37:32 pm »

"My biggest worry is we are going to fail again as a company because the owners ego is blowing money at an incredible rate and I can’t see it continuing much longer."
------------

You're the owner, right? <grin>

I had to downgrade after 'the storm'.  Right now, except for just a little (and only occasional) part-time help, I'm back to being a one-man-band.  But I'm also more-profitable than I was before.  Go fig'!  Less capacity, more actual dollars of profit!  Yeah... employees of any ilk are an expensive commodity.

Lloyd

Yeah. No shit!  My most profitable years ever as a contractor were after I fired everybody and decided to only take as much work as I could do by myself.  The first year my income doubled.  As I cleaned up all the messes left by employees my income (taxable net income) increase by another 30%.  For the first time in my life I was flush with cash and all my bills were paid. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 21:51:38 pm »

Yup!  It seems to work that way.  The more 'greedy' I got for 'more work', the less net-profit I made! <grin>

Lloyd

Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 01:12:00 am »

Actually my business experience is different. When my dad had his stroke he was working 90 hours a week and was supposed to leave on a two week vacation the next day. At the time he had five employees including me.  Suddenly I was the boss with my job, my dad’s job, brother’s job, brother-in-laws job, and the jobs of three other employees all on the line. If dad working 90 hrs just got by how many hours would I need?

I decided it wasn’t possible, and one employee offered to help. So I made him a foreman and we made a deal. Alternating weekends are mine. On my weekends I am off you don’t call me for anything. On your weekends I don’t call you for anything. So working 70 hrs a week each for the next two years we made it.  We had fabulous reputation thanks to dad and work came our way easily. We now had 14 employees in the field and two ladies in the office. We had bought our first computer, allowing us to finally catch up on all the billing and sending statements to everyone that owed us a dime. Ended the year with all debts paid and $125,000 in the checking account, so dad myself and our foreman took $20k and $10k of bonus!  We were now down to averaging 50 hrs a week and dad never worked again.

The big takeaway from this is that every type of business has an “uncomfortable” size. You are too small to afford all the things that allow big companies to work easily. Yet you are killing yourself doing everything you need to do. These leads a lot of business owners to think getting bigger is not worth it, they go back to a size they can manage alone. That business disappears when something happens or the owner just gets tired.  I was lucky, the dire circumstances forced me to push on through to get to a comfortable size quickly.

When I left my brother grew the business to 125 employees. In the 52nd year of business he went bankrupt. He ripped off dad for $100,000, and me for $30,000 in the process. He got bored, took his eye off the ball and it collapsed.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: