CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2018, 22:58:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: spiral polygon  (Read 521 times)
mashop3d
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2018, 16:04:31 pm »

Finally got my CB licence! I am so excited, CB is very intuitive for an old woodworker like me!
I saw a spiral polygon plugin in the list of plugins, but it looks like I can't  select it ( http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/plugin_menu.html )
I want to engrave a spiral using a v cutter do make something that will look like an old time LP record.Can somebody help me?
thanks in advance
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 16:15:53 pm »

Do you mean you cannot select it IN CamBam, or that you cannot select the plugin on the web site?

If it's not installed in your plugins folder, it won't be selectable from within CB.  It's not a 'built-in', but something you must download and install yourself.

Usually, such plugins are available as either ".dll" files or a zipped version of same which must be unzipped, then moved to your CamBam plugins folder.

Plugins are 'version-dependent', so in order to help, we'll also need to know the version of CB you're running.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 16:41:07 pm »

It's a 'script' not a plugin, look here instead; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4301.msg30526#msg30526

But instead try this in the CamBam menu, Draw->More...->Flat Spiral
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 16:43:27 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
mashop3d
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 19:37:06 pm »

Thanks for the quick response!
What I want to do is kind of a hypnotical spiral in 2D with the radius reducing by 1/8 inch for each turn. Next part would be the same outline (same exterior diameter), but the radius reducing by 1/4 inch for each turn. Then 1/2 inch, Etc.
I see that there seems to be 2 ways to do this:
1- a script that draws a polyline with parameters being the outline (a circle?) to start with, and the radius reduction rate (as a % of tool diameter?).
2- a plugin for a mop that does the spiral within an outline.
Here's an example of the spiral:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=y6nddEUu&id=C9657B4FC05B551E9248CA5EEC0B18B1B5C9F019&thid=OIP.y6nddEUu23PK3TscNApqDAHaEK&q=spirale+hypnotique&simid=607986196705643622&selectedIndex=108&ajaxhist=0

I have just re-installed CB from scratch this AM with my new licence, version 0.9 release 8

On the site:
http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/plugin_menu.html, I have selected-and installed- a few plugins, but a few others (like the one I think is what i need) are black fonts (not hyperlink?) and I can't download them.
Finally another question - sorry I am not too computer savy being an ''older guy''- how do you install a script?

Thanks so much for your understanding and help- and please keep up with the tremendous work-I am very impressed!

mashop3d
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 19:56:18 pm »

PS I read the post on how to install a script but on the link that Eddy is referring to, it looks like a bunch of instruction in computer language. Should I copy it in a note pad and save it as dot vbs?
jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 20:51:46 pm »

Since this spiral is of an 'art' kind, I think the best approach is to draw spiral in the Inkscape software. There are a spiral (and various stars and bubbles Smiley drawing tools. Then save in dxf format, load in CB, engrave. Inkscape is free.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 21:50:01 pm »

Is this the sort of thing you want ?

* Image5.jpg (80.83 KB, 800x515 - viewed 41 times.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:48:02 am by EddyCurrent » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: