CamBam
News:
 
*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2018, 05:05:19 am


Login with username, password and session length


Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrapper plug-in not behaving as expected  (Read 1840 times)
markskells
CNC Ewok
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


View Profile
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:26:35 am »

First, thanks to all posters.  I've learned a lot on my journey thanks to your kind efforts.

I installed the Wrapper plugin and created a new post-processor to convert arcs to line segments.  I tested the output and it works.  My test was a 0.5 inch engraved circle at x,y=0,0.

I analyzed the output code with excel and used the graphing feature to confirm that all the G1 coordinates approximated a circle.  Success. 

The next step was to use the plugin to transform the circle.  I wrapped the X around a 1.0 inch diameter cylinder (in the software). 

I expected the output file to have all x-values ranging from -.25 to +.25 and I expected the angles to vary over a (0.5/3.14159*360 = 59.3) degree range. 

The X values were within the expected range; but the A values ranged from 0 to 360 degrees, the min/max values input into the plugin screen.

I subsequently tried some simple etch lines and the a values always range from the min to the max as far as the A-Axis was concerned.

I tried reinstalling the plug-in to no avail.

Any thoughts?  Were my expectations correct?

Thanks to all.
Logged
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3617



View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:33:44 am »

It's good that you thought to use G1, the easiest way to do this is to convert the circle to a polyline then use, Edit->Polyline->Remove arcs, with a low tolerance of say 0.00001
I had to use a very low tolerance in order to prevent deformation of the circle to a slight oval shape.

You made a typo in the calculation, it should be; 0.5/3.14159*360 = 57.3 (57.2958)

You can see in the attached picture (inside red oval) that I have selected "Auto" for the angles, those numbers are correct ( 57.2958 / 2 = 28.6479) and were used in the transformed g code.




* Image7.jpg (167.26 KB, 800x1616 - viewed 125 times.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:07:21 am by EddyCurrent » Logged
markskells
CNC Ewok
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 15:58:49 pm »

EddyCurrent-

Thanks for the quick response.  I'm still struggling.

Perhaps I'm not using the most current software, Cambam 0.9.4878.23992 build date 5/10/2013.  It is a licensed copy.

The reason I suggest this is that I get a different entry screen when I launch the plugin, I get a screen titled WrapperUIForm.

I can send screenshots tomorrow if it will help.

Thanks,

Mark

Logged
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3617



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 17:20:33 pm »

Mark,

No need for screenshots.

You are using the original version of the plugin, the latest is here; http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/Wrapper_plugin.html
Have a look at the other plugins while you are there  Cheesy

Also install the more recent version of 0.9.8 here; http://www.cambam.info/downloads/
Version 0.9.8P Released 22 Sep 2015 build 0.9.5729.19316 Rev P

Just make a copy of your CamBamPro.lic licence file and once the new version is installed copy it into the program folder.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 17:24:13 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
markskells
CNC Ewok
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 17:39:11 pm »

Thanks again for your help.  I will report my results when I've incorporated your suggestions.

Best,
Mark
Logged
markskells
CNC Ewok
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 18:44:55 pm »

EddyCurrent-

Successfully updated file.  I hope to make some chips soon. But it seems I need to adapt to a G93 "inverse Time mode". 

Thanks,

Mark 
Logged
markskells
CNC Ewok
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:54:15 am »

EddyCurrent-

I solved the slow axis issue with the help of Shawn Gano's program and was able to machine a part that is usable, but has some defects that I would avoid if I were to do it over.

My Mini-Lathe has a variable speed (0 to 2500 RPM) spindle controlled by a potentiometer.  The graphics on the lathe only seem to indicate which way to turn the knob to increase speed (duh!) and are meaningless but DC motor speed is linear with respect to potentiometer position.

I used a handheld tachometer to observe the RPM at various positions and determined the mathematical relationship between RPM and position.

I then 1) designed the knob in Draftsight; 2) designed the MOPs in Cambam; 3) Used the wrapper plugin to wrap the Y-axis around the A-axis;  and then 4)used Mr. Gano's program to adjust the program for appropriate coordinated axis speed.  The final part only took 5 minutes to machine.

The part indicates RPM in 100's and is accurate within 20 or 30 RPM.  Plus I can see the numbers from where I operate the lathe.

Like I said, the part has a few defects, but I'm declaring victory and moving on to my next project.

Thanks again for your help.


* IMG_1767.JPG (61.09 KB, 640x480 - viewed 97 times.)
Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS! Dilber MC Theme by HarzeM
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.

Copyright © 2018 HexRay Ltd. | Sitemap