CamBam
News: *** FORUM BACK *** please see 'Latest News' for updates

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2018, 23:51:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tormach 1100 w/ ATC  (Read 1141 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 00:46:35 am »

I think you should require them to come back out with a tail-gate forklift, and POKE some holes in it!

I mean -- C'mon!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 16:27:55 pm »

Well, I did comment on it to the driver so I expect he will mention it to quality control. 

Actually it was a different trucking company than usually makes local deliveries. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 14:20:06 pm »

Well a fishing buddy stopped by yesterday and helped get the 14x40 lathe out of the machine room and out onto the main shop floor.  Wasn't to bad for the two of us.  Two farm jacks, a straight pick and two furniture dollies.  Picked it up, set it on the dollies, rolled out to its new home, and set it down.  I hope I don't have to move it again.  LOL. In its new location I can run a 20' piece of stock into the spindle if I want.  I can just open the back shop door and block it open.  Its about 8 feet from the door. 

I now have three other mills to move around in there to make a space the right shape for it.  I may just CAD up a simple floor plan to make sure I can access everything for service when its placed.  

I'm even considering moving one of the small CNC machines out of the machine room.  Summer heat in the shop is hard on computers, but I did run them out there for several years before building the machine room.  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 14:22:48 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 16:04:53 pm »

Ok, maybe if I hadn't gone fishing on Sunday...  

Man the shop is busy.  I almost wish for those times when I was slow.  (almost)  I still haven't uncrated the new mill or any of its parts.  Yesterday I spent most of the day washing, oil coating, bagging, and packaging a bunch of steel parts that will be shipped overseas.  Atleast 150lbs of them.  Well I am upto 150 lbs and still have two assemblies to box.  The lady who picks up my mail is going to hate me.  LOL.  

Yesterday I was running some final sizing cuts on three of the parts.  Took about 2 minutes per part to run.  During that time I chased down a prybar and a claw hammer and cut the steel bands on one crate for the new mill.  LOL.  

P.S.  In my haste the other day to complain about the lack of fork lift venting holes in the crates I forgot to mention that the driver was top notch.  He even rolled the pallets inside and dropped them where I wanted them.  

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 16:08:47 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 22:58:15 pm »

I spent most of the day today wrecking a perfectly good cherry picker.  When I wasn't doing that I was getting summer plants out of the greenhouse into the ground.  

I might actually get that new mill off the pallet this next week, but TOMORROW I AM GOING FISHING.  

Oh, yeah.  The new bandsaw saw a bit of work today too.  I really like that pneumatic feed control for cutting tube. 

* Wrecking A Cherry Picker 1.jpg (234.69 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 48 times.)

* Wrecking A Cherry Picker 2.jpg (104.78 KB, 540x960 - viewed 44 times.)

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 18:03:57 pm »

Well, I had to modify the engine hoist again.  I stupidly made it so the base could twist.  Cut it apart and welded it back together.  The legs are shorter, but still long enough so I can extend the boom out far enough to lift the mill onto the stand.  I finally got that done last week. Friday of last week I tried to power up the machine for the first time, but there was a problem with the PathPilot control computer.  After waiting all weekend and after a bit of back and forth, some of it unpleasant, Tormach said they would overnight air a new control computer.   After waiting around all afternoon on Tuesday I found they didn't.  They shipped it ground from halfway across the country.  Atleast they actually did ship it on Monday, so it finally arrived yesterday late in the afternoon.  

Now I am sitting here late this morning debating.  Do I connect and power up the new computer or do I wait until Monday.  If it has an issue of course I'll have to wait until Monday again to get any support ruining the rest of my weekend.  If I wait until Monday and its fine I might regret having wasted the time.  

Maybe I'll just go fishing.  Time spent fishing is never wasted. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 18:05:31 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 18:58:05 pm »

Heh!  The DECISIONS!  (The decisions... the decisions...) <grin>

Yeah... go fishing.

I spent the day finishing up the welding on my teeter-table to more-easily move heavy sheets of material.

It turned out NICE!  Now, all I have to do is solvent clean the whole thing, and paint it.

Lloyd

(Pix, when it's done.)
L

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 22:01:10 pm »

I decided to slap the new computer controller in the machine...

As I took it out of the box I noticed it rattled like there were loose screws bouncing around inside.  Sigh!  

The mother board was loose and only two of the six mounting screws were still barely holding it in place.  I took it all apart and found a SATA cable had at some point had the plug pulled apart and then stuffed back together to a DVD rom drive.  

I found at some point one of the mother board standoffs had been cross threaded.  

The case showed signs of wear.  Lots of scratches along the bottom of the front plastic cover.  

Tomorrow I'll probably install the power draw bar.  

Still, I finally got it tore apart, loose screws found (only two of the missing four) and reassembled.  I had a computer with an unused SATA cable on the shelf.  

ITS ALIVE.  

I jogged the machine, purged the oiler, tested the homing, and spun the spindle both manually and under machine control.  Now its shut down and its time for a late lunch.  

After lunch I'll change the impellor on the 50 horse on my smaller boat.  

Tomorrow I may install the power draw bar. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 22:03:50 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 22:26:46 pm »

Time for wedge-lifts and jacks!  I hate to say I've been in the same situation.

Eh... wedges ALWAYS mar your floor! (dagnabbit!)

Lloyd

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 22:54:41 pm »

The boom worked, but I also have some low profile 10 ton rams with about 3/4 inch of lift.   

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 15:45:42 pm »

I promised myself I wasn't going to get all excited abut every little thing with this new machine, but I admit I am excited.  I installed the power draw bar on Saturday and the ATC on Sunday.  

This is my first ever automatic tool change.  

https://youtu.be/S57gpeVsWkk

I did alignment tests, and manual approximations of the steps, but this was the very first time I just let the machine do it.  I am excited.  I got the tool changer installed and aligned last night.  I was headed back to the machine room to shut down the machine, and I just couldn't resist doing an automated tool change atleast once before heading into the house for dinner.

Since I can't see the exact moment I hit the enter button I can't tell for sure, but it counts off as between 6 and 7 seconds for a tool change.   Obviously it would be a little longer if the new tool was on farthest travel of the carousel.  

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 17:42:48 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 17:58:42 pm »

SWEET, Bob!  (eye teeth and all those expressions!)

Lloyd

Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 18:05:06 pm »

Nice,
About the same as a Fadal. Saw a machine at a trade show once that did it in less than a second. If you blinked you missed it!

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 19:02:22 pm »

Nice,
About the same as a Fadal. Saw a machine at a trade show once that did it in less than a second. If you blinked you missed it!

I wonder what ever happened to Dave.  After he sold Fadal and the new owners tanked Fadal he started a new company called Fadec with a machine called the UMC10.  I haven't heard much from him online the last couple years though.  

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: