CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2018, 22:54:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dust shoe idea...  (Read 3790 times)
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2018, 15:50:20 pm »

An other option for vacuum shoe, just stumbled on this on CncZone.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general-woodworking/352988-floating-dust-shoe-best-dust-shoe.html

The first thing that came to mind was the robot from "lost in space"  Cheesy
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2018, 19:48:17 pm »

Well, OK!  With many interruptions for some vehicle transfers and some deliveries, I finally was able to cut a 'gang run' of 8 of my angle-fire plates.

First, the good part --  The B-axis gimbal accurately positions the cutters at the desired angles.  It works exactly as intended.  The dust shoe works better than I could ever have hoped!  The sheet is so clean one could EAT from it!

The bad part -- The gimbal is a PITA to change angles.  It takes too long, and because the holes are accurately-placed and sized, and because the spindle is HEAVY, the bolts to fix it in place are difficult to insert and extract, and it takes about 10 minutes to change the angle and ensure it's all fixed in place.

I know by the end of the Summer Theme Park season, I'll have taken an ax to the machine, if I do not fix this now.  I don't think I'll have to modify much.  In place of bolts for positioning, I'm going to ream out the threaded holes, and use spring-loaded taper pins to do the 'location', and instead of using those now-absent bolts to clamp the assembly together, I'm going to make or buy some quick-release clamps that work around the outer edges of the plate.

I'll get it done.  Work starts this Friday, but it will be light until the 2nd week of April, so I still have time.

I'm delighted with the dust shoe!  You win some, and you lose some!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: