CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 22:27:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ball Nut Holder - Manual Machining  (Read 474 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2018, 00:43:21 am »

Ball Nut Holder - I am sure somebody can tell me why this is a stupid idea, but I needed to get this ball nut off the ball screw without dumping the balls all over the floor. I don't know if the screw is salvageable or not. Its got a bend in it somewhere. If its just in the machining in the end I might be able to turn it down and machine some bushings. If the screw is bent in the main span its done. I might be able to straighten that, but it wouldn't be very accurate anymore. Normally guys screw the nut off onto a piece of cardboard tune, but I have bad luck with that. This hand made stub of aluminum "ballscrew" mates up with the end of the ballscrew I need to check, and I was able to just screw the nut off onto the stub. I had to hand grind a radius tool out of HSS in order to thread the holder. It took me a couple hours, but it worked out perfectly. Of course that time is wasted except for the learning experience if I can't save the screw.

Anyway, now I can roll the screw on my granite surface plate and determine where its bent.

* Ball Nut Holder.jpg (217.81 KB, 756x1008 - viewed 82 times.)

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 00:47:15 am »

Bob,
If it works is smart idea Grin, and it looks like you got it. Personally, I'm successful using tubes. So what ever get the job done..
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 00:49:07 am by Bubba » Logged

My 2ยข
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 00:57:41 am »

Yep good idea, I've done this before by using a piece of plastic re-enforced Air line.
Dave
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 00:58:39 am »

After I finished this one I thought I might (at some time time in the future) make a set for the other ballscrew sizes I have on my machines here in the shop.  1605 for sure.  Maybe 1204.  I think having them would make servicing and building machines easier.  Especially when a screw arrives with a double not on the screw in the wrong direction.  

I would note I would have had to make a "tube" to slide the screw onto anyway.  Its about 1.16 thread ID.  I machined the holder 1.15 so it would have some slop in the balls to make the transition more easily.  

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: