CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2018, 18:58:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fusion 360  (Read 1608 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:50:07 am »

Thanks, Dave.

Yes!  Feynman was a figurehead even back in my learning days.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 21:57:04 pm »

A while back, macbob said one of the best things about Rhino was Grasshopper.
Grasshopper is now included in Rhino v6 and if you want to see what it's all about have a look at these short intro videos. I'm sure you will be impressed. https://vimeopro.com/rhino/grasshopper-getting-started-by-david-rutten/video/79844992
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 23:10:09 pm »

I used to use Rhino everyday about 16 years ago. At that time David Rutten was a college student and frequent contributor on the Rhino newsgroup. He is I believe the original creator of Grasshopper and then went to work for Rhino. Bright guy!

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 00:54:33 am »

Hi Eddy

I went and had a look, as I've got some time on my hands, by trashing the only good 6 mm end-mill
I had by trying to cut  what I thought was a section of  40 mm dia 1045 (turned out to be a but end of a SKF linear shaft ) and it's a National Holiday here so I won't be getting another until tomorrow.

I watched a couple of other videos on Youtube, and it seems to be quite powerful and the interface reminds me of some PLC programming software.

I went here http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/rhino-s-market-share  to see what the Installed user base was, and as David Rutten pointed out  this may not be the whole story.

I couldn't go any further to satisfy my curiosity, as I went here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_computer-aided_design_editors and the cost prevented any further investigating.

Parametric modelling is the way to go, and like everything the more time you put into it the more you get out of it.

I've downloaded Fusion and installed it but not fired it up yet as I indend to watch a few more videos.
John from NYCNC has a few, I noticed with a wry smile that in one, I did see him lament the fact that it had not any clamp avoiding yet, unlike CB.
Edit Sheeesh you think I could spell "Intend" by now and fixed link.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:12:53 am by dave benson » Logged
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 21:12:53 pm »

FYI:  For really big code files it seems that Fusion360 can take longer than CamBam, but so far I have not had an error (except their code editor won't open files that big).  Its interesting work flow.  You generate tool paths and then post process.  If you do not generate tool paths first no code comes out.  The post processing parts is really quick, but generating tool paths can take a very long time. 

I'm working on a set of steel press dies cut in 4140HT and there was no way to do it without some good constant engagement tool paths.  CamBam broke cutters left and right.  I've got seven out of 12 die plates cut so far.  The current ones are around 900K lines of code.  I have two on the machines right now.  They will take all day and into the evening to finish.  Tomorrow I start on the biggest ones. 

Another issue.  When they upgraded the version it cancelled all my post processor modifications. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 01:38:54 am »

HI Bob
I've recently had to cut some cast steel bearing housings (I would have to characterise them tough rather than hard) and after, about half an hour the cutters were dulling (Quality Cutters) so I ordered a TiSiN endmill after a little Googling to see what they were about.

This one is for cutting materials up 55HRC, well it arrived yesterday and I gave it a spin.
After setting the feeds and speeds conservatively, and upping the feed until the  sound of the mill sounded “Just Right”, about 20 percent less that the calculated feed, I let it run for a couple of hours before bed.
It still looks brand new, and the finish of the cut is better,  Admittedly this was only through cutting some Jig-Saw shaped parts in 12 mm HRS .
On mild steel at least, and on some jobs, I think I can  forget the finishing pass.

This weekend I'll be ready to machine the last of the bearing Housings for the turrets, so I'll have a better Idea of how good it really is, on material that I know kill's ordinary endmills.

There was one I looked at that was TiAIn (for materials up to 65 HRC) but couldn't make effective use of  them, because my mill doesn't have the spindle speed, feedrate or power.

Dave
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 01:55:37 am »

Thanks,  I've been having good luck with MSC's store brand Accupro in ALTIN coated, and the highest flute count in each one.  At about 50% of calculated feed I've been able to cut for hours with ball mills down to 1/32.  (.03125).  I wanted to finish the smallest dies with a 1/64, but nothing I did seemed to work with that one.  It would cut for a little while and break.

1/16" and larger seem to cut at calculated feeds just fine as long as I am using an HSM constant engagement tool path. 

On the big mill roughing with a 1/2" 6 flute  Accupro ALTIN end mill is stupid fast.  My limit isn't feed, but horsepower.  No kidding.  Well, and my own stupidity. I've broken a few hundred dollars worth of them, but eveyr time it was me doing something stupid.  

I don't think I'll ever have the feel for 4140HT that I have for 6061-T6 aluminum, but I'm getting there.  

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 02:59:29 am »

The only experience I've had with 4130/4140 was looking into making some High endurance go-cart axles years ago and the method was to normalise the material “for making simple shapes” and which had to be annealed for more complex shapes and then heat treated again.

I was told that there are different recipes for the alloy, and some are better to machine than others.

With such a small endmill and if it's a ball nose to boot, and cutting near the bottom of the flutes  I bet the chip evacuation would be a big consideration along with the spindle runout.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: