CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2018, 14:30:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rigid Tapping  (Read 1360 times)
jim1108
Droid

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2018, 00:13:31 am »

MOP set up where all you have to enter is the pitch and speed and it calculates the feed. It could be a G84 canned cycle or a point to point move.

I know its easy to program by hand, but it seems this basic feature should be available. Thread milling is fine, but those tools are $$ and sometimes tapping is faster.
jk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:50:22 am »

In fact it's already there. Create drilling mop, set 'Drilling Method' to the 'Custom Script', set
'Custom Script' field to something like
Code:
G84 X$x Y$y Z$z F$f R$r
so G84s would be generated instead of G81s.
jim1108
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 20:56:31 pm »

That seems to work ok, you just have to calculate the speed/feed of tap pitch and manually insert it into the MOP instead of the program doing it like other cam software. My other software just requires pitch and speed and it calculates feed.

Is there anyway to save that custom script with the post processor so I don't have to re-enter all that info every time?

If not, I would just create a text document and just copy/paste the info as needed into the custom script box.

Thanks for the feedback.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:35:49 am »

Hello

Is there anyway to save that custom script with the post processor so I don't have to re-enter all that info every time?

You can use a CAMstyle to define specifics styles for the drill MOP, so the custom script is saved in the style.

http://www.cambam.info/doc/dw/0.9.8/cam/CAMStyles.htm

++
David
jim1108
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 16:55:29 pm »

Setting up custom cam styles for each tap did the trick. My taps generally stay in the same tool position all the time and I usually run them at the same speed and feed except for some odd jobs with harder material, so the only value I have to change per job is the final Z depth and stock surface. I label the styles with the actual tap, (1/4-28, 5/16-18, etc.) This simplified everything greatly. Thanks for the info!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: