CamBam
News: *** FORUM BACK *** please see 'Latest News' for updates

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2018, 23:47:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprint Layout Excellon to CB  (Read 581 times)
jp
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2018, 17:47:52 pm »

I’m using my recently acquired router to produce PCBs, all going well except excellon files exported from Sprint Layout v5 always open in CamBam plus [0.9] Rel 8P as a PointList only,  ie there is no hole size information. The same file opened in FlatCam produces correctly positioned and sized circles. Am I missing something or is this what CB does?

Another problem is that the PointList xy location  parameters  are 10 times larger than they should be, this is easy enough to fix but curious.

Attached a sample .drl file (change from txt)

* test drill.txt (0.13 KB - downloaded 20 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 18:24:56 pm »

Excellon, as far as I remember is a drill file format. Therefore it's normal to open point lists. I use DipTrace (free version) and export holes to NCDrill file format. CamBam reads it and prepares drilling MOPs because point lists are exported by drill diameter.
For the track you need to export them to Gerber format. That's at least what I do. If you open first the drill file and save a .cb file you can start a second instance of CamBam and copy/paste the track geometry into its own layer (or open/copy; open/paste using one instance of CamBam). And they align with the holes neatly.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 22:06:04 pm »

Set the scale in in Plugins->Excellon IO config, corresponding to the 3.2 (000.00) format of you drl.
CB generates one point cloud for each tool diameter - your file has just one.
Separate drill mops will be created for each cloud, unless disabled in Excellon IO config.
jp
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 21:17:55 pm »

that worked, thanks jk! Grin
though I had to play around with the values, ending up with those shown attached.

I inclined  however not to use the excellon functionality, unless I have a through hole board with  multiple  holes of disparate sizes. The cutting and pasting required due to the lack of ability to import an extra file into a project, plus I'm mostly doing smd populated boards -- not many holes -- means it's much easier piling everything onto a single gerber layer --holes as pads, outline as zero width track-- and sorting out in cambam .

cheers,
jp

* Capture.JPG (23.76 KB, 220x254 - viewed 24 times.)
jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 15:00:55 pm »

jp, maybe you'll be interested in the script I'm using for importing pcb work:

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5193.0
jp
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 22:17:36 pm »

thanks jk, I'll have a look when I've figured out any notion of what to do with scripts, haven't got that far yet! Also it may be a while as yesterday the SSD C drive on my main PC died catastrophically, so I'm waiting for a replacement and the will to rebuild the system (and this time clone it).
The  method I worked up, using exclusively gerber files, scripts and a template will allow me to go from modest sized Sprint design file to G-code on the router in about 20 minutes, but I'm always willing to look at a more elegant solution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: