CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2018, 10:19:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mach 3 Question  (Read 1490 times)
chuckeroo
Wookie

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2018, 20:26:59 pm »

Is there a way to get Mach 3 to turn on my power supply to my steppers via a relay on the 110 side of the power supply? If so then how.
                                  Thanks and have a good day!
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 20:46:48 pm »

There is but not in a straightforward way. One could wire a relay, driven by a transistor (or a SSR - solid state relay) to the 'Enable' signal on the BOB (Break Out Board). 'Enable' is used to activate/deactivate the stepper drivers. When disabled power to motor windings is cut off. Usually this signal deactivates them when you press the red 'RESET' button on Mach3 screen or an external e-stop signal is received.
Bear in mind that disabling the drivers or cutting their power as a whole while working on an active job will make the steppers lose their microstep position and return to a fixed steady one defined by the magnet core - drive screws will make some tiny movements. Therefore a small but certain error will be inserted into the current working position of the machine.
Stopping the machine while working by clicking the red 'RESET' will also invalidate the position as some of the driving pulses to the steppers, already sent into the queue will be lost.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
chuckeroo
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 21:22:01 pm »

I never thought about that.Sure it'll work and  i understand what you mean about the mill getting a little lost  because the motors have no voltage to brake them. This is correct right? I like it!
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 22:44:27 pm »

That's correct.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
chuckeroo
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 23:55:57 pm »

I came up with Crydom SSR D1210. Hoping this may sort this out. This SSR is made  for AC applications on the output . 3 to 32 volt dc input.
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:39:06 pm »

Just in case I report my experience with SSR. 

Not to behave like an electrical engineer, as I'm only an Hobbyst but I've used two SSR that were named to be very faulty (FoteK brand) but with the correct dissipator they behave very well and they handle my 1.1KW spindle and 220V AC and my shopVAC 800+800W (two motors) at 220VAC.

So the correct dissipator is necessary, mine are 5 times taller than the SSR itself, so the gain in space is not a must with an  SSR.

As a final note I have used them with a small transistor driven by my arduino output and tied to my 24V DC supply. 

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
chuckeroo
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 13:54:56 pm »

In my case the manafacturer is International Rectifier . Iv'e never heard of Fotek brand . And yes i agree with you the right heat sink and some heat sink grease you should get some life out of the SSR. Provided you stay in acceptable ranges .
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 14:18:43 pm »

Even better if the SSR control input is TTL logic compatible - easier to connect to the BOB. Even better if they have an opto coupler at the input for maximum insulation from the high voltage part.

onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 14:53:12 pm »

fotek is a honk kong brand and as usual the SSR have an optosiolated input see the schematics of my SSR as included images, The output remind me the old TRIACs.

Regards

* image004.gif (2.91 KB, 423x173 - viewed 37 times.)

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 15:40:45 pm »

AC commutating SSR are triacs actually, with a zero cross detection command circuit.

Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 17:23:39 pm »

Something to warn about SSRs. Common failure mode is shorted ON! The one for my heated printer bed nearly destroyed it failing that way.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 17:31:25 pm »

Something to warn about SSRs. Common failure mode is shorted ON! The one for my heated printer bed nearly destroyed it failing that way.

I'm using the SSR as well. So, what would stop the damage to other components? A diode in line ?

My 2¢
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 18:17:28 pm »

A fuse, depending on the particular usage.

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 18:22:21 pm »

Oh, OK. Didn't think of it.  Embarrassed

My 2¢
chuckeroo
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 21:41:09 pm »

Boy does he have a point about the fuse.Sometimes i can't see the forest for the trees . yes a Triac makes sense since they are dedicated to ac switching. Well i did find something that may be of interest but not sure .In a case that i saw an M80 and M81 are used to turn on and off an atx power supply. i wonder if i could use this.Sure would like a little insight from someone more knowledgable  than me. I have no idea if this list is common knowledge or not but maybe it'll help someone.

https://softsolder.com/2013/03/14/g-code-and-m-code-grand-master-list/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 22:12:53 pm by chuckeroo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: