CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2018, 22:23:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [V1-5] Linux - Layer Issues  (Read 2842 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2017, 16:07:31 pm »

Haven't noticed with previous releases.
If a layer 'locked' property is set to 'true' and file saved, upon consecutive opening CB throws an exception. Clicking the 'OK' button CB continues to work but The locked layer has an arc button symbol instead of the plus symbol. The state remains 'locked' and object are visible.
After unlocking when trying to select an object there is another error message.
There were two layers and displayed objects are in the colors of each one but only one layer is shown in the tree.
The same file is opened OK by the same version in Windows.
Also, if I set the active layer to 'locked' and then try to set another as 'active' CB kills itself.

Some considerations on my side:
- in both Windows and Linux the active layer can be set to be locked. Either it should be not allowed or the active layer set to another one if more than one layer exist and the others are not locked.
- a single layer should not be allowed to be locked.

* CNLin-Exception.jpg (107.36 KB, 1582x867 - viewed 104 times.)

* CBLin-Layers.jpg (126.63 KB, 1559x897 - viewed 89 times.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 18:44:57 pm by dh42 » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 17:41:37 pm »

There is more to Layer manipulation, as it appears.
Trying to select more than one layer with either Shift or Ctrl keys immediately kills CamBam without any message.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 15:57:24 pm »

If geometry elements are being selected directly on the layer tree focus transfer to the main drawing window is impossible.
In Windows version after elements have been selected from the tree, clicking the middle (wheel) button (preserves the selection) in the main window transfers the focus to it and zoom and move work.
In Linux version despite clicking in the main window mouse wheel scrolls the layer tree. If the wheel is kept pressed while pointer is in the main window, rotating it in depressed position does zooming in and out.
If elements are selected in the main window with Ctrl key pressed zoom and move with mouse or keys works.

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:55:39 am »

Often, when working with Cb for Linux I get a strange behavior but can't determine any regularity about the reason for it.
It happens when I am changing/entering values in the properties grid for a MOP. All of a sudden the cursor in the text field disappears, pressing 'Del' and 'Back' keys do not visually erase the current text but if I write something and then press 'Enter' the newly typed characters appear there.
Sometimes, trying to drag-select the text in a field the selection is not visualized and what is even more strange - sometimes a file not saved message pops up as if I have issued 'File' -> 'Exit' command. From that point (if I click on 'Cancel') editing the property becomes unpredictable. So I close CamBam and start it again.

I presume this is somehow connected with Mono. Frankly speaking, editing those fields in Windows is also tricky.
Can't find a sequence to provoke those events. It seems that after some period of work something goes unstable.

Just some information for Andy.

Otherwise, I did a large and complicated project with CB for Linux. And under 64 bit Ubuntu the speed of CamBam is very good.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:58:45 am by Dragonfly » Logged

onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 14:10:48 pm »

The input fields in mono is rather difficult and depend mostly in the mono version used, (I think that the OS differences are important in intercepting the keystrokes).

It seems that Mono is now "owned" by Microsoft and now more targeted to develop cross platform applications for mobile devices, the old problem of winforms not performing well is not adressed even in the more recent versions of mono, even changing the font of the winforms widgest is problematics even if there is some patched version of Mono that can do this setting on Linux some Environment variables. (I think there is a manner using the font substitution mechanics on Linux but this hack could modify the behaviour of some other part orf the system).

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 14:30:37 pm »

Thanks Carlo,
you confirmed my presumptions. And there is nothing to do about it other than dreaming about a dedicated Linux version of CamBam.

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 12:10:34 pm »

I know this is done by Mono but is there an option when compiling for Linux to somehow make it fill the cells in a single row? From what I've read this is WinForms (or something like that) settings.
This also affects the single text fields in the properties grid - the font size is larger than the system settings and seems to be not affected either by system font changes or decreasing the font sizes to inconveniently small.

* PropertyGrid.png (53.01 KB, 1080x678 - viewed 82 times.)

onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 10:13:26 am »

I don't know, I've attempted to compile mono once but I never succeeded on Debian, (maybe with gentoo or arch linux or some other source based distribution is more easy), I think that some work on Winforms could be done to make it perform better on Linux, but I haven't such skills, I resolved using the latest mono from the mono site and it perform quite well but you have to not use the tabs and the arrow keys and be careful to hit "return" on the last line otherwise it will "automagically" create a new line and sometimes make it crash.

For some heavy modidying of the pointlist and related things, being accustomed to text editing, i resolved loading the cb file in a plain text editor maybe "xml enabled" and modify by hand the pointlist, as when CB is using higher number for newly created polyline, ii go in the CB file and reassign the number of the entity.

Obviously is a "delicate" way to handle cb files, and I'm investigating in a more polished way to edit CB files, through an external program, or script, but I'm busy in some house refurbishments and have little time to dedicate on CB working and coding.

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 13:56:02 pm »

Apart from the weird looking cells if one accidentally clicks in an empty cell when editing polyline values it acts as a 'Close' or 'Exit' signal. If there are unsaved changes CB asks to save them before closing. Then terminates. If there are no changes CB terminates.

* EmotyCellClick.png (106.6 KB, 1386x867 - viewed 85 times.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 14:00:33 pm by Dragonfly » Logged

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 14:02:52 pm »

If started from command shell there are some error messages which I can't interpret due to lack of internals knowledge.
CamBam exits but does not return to the command prompt until Ctrl-C is pressed.

* Messages.png (142.36 KB, 1225x494 - viewed 88 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: