CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 12:12:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Probing  (Read 2267 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 22:48:12 pm »

Since my last visit I downloaded and executed the program once.  It kludged out and stopped responding.  I am running a high end multi monitor Nvidia gaming graphics card.  I may try it again in a little bit. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 23:04:11 pm »

Bob,

Use one of their sample image data sets, one with less than 50 images.

For info, my card is a Nvidia GTX 1070

Made in England
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 23:15:51 pm »

Use one of their sample image data sets, one with less than 50 images.

Ah ah ! ... good idea ; I'm trying VisualSFM (there is a version that do not use CUDA) ... but I do not have an usable set of photos to play with ... thanks !!

++
David

EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 14:51:12 pm »

There are more free options than I first thought; https://www.3dbeginners.com/list-of-free-photogrammetry-software/

David,

Colmap also has a non cuda version.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 14:58:48 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged

Made in England
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 22:25:13 pm »

So far, downloaded few programs and going thru them, mainly specs and what kind of images are needed. It look like my camera (early canon powershot) is border line capable for use with this. Thankfully my video card is good enough for this.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

My 2¢
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 22:33:22 pm »

There are more free options than I first thought; https://www.3dbeginners.com/list-of-free-photogrammetry-software/

David,

Colmap also has a non cuda version.

I tried VisualSFM with the "cherub" pictures given for 3DF Zephyr, and it works very well ... but the 4 cores of the CPU goes up to 92 ° C during the 15 to 20min that lasted the calculation, and it "eats" 12GB of RAM ... ! (with full size image of the "cherub" 3744x5616)

this video is the results, but made with picture resized to half there original size. (1872x2808 after resizing) ; the 65 images has been used.

this is only a point cloud ; VSFM do not creates a mesh ; this must be done with MeshLab

with half sized images, calculation time is about ~5 minutes on an i7 - 4.5Ghz ; all 8 thread used at 100% ; no CUDA function (ATI VGA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbp7M_hE_M

It look like my camera (early canon powershot) is border line capable for use with this

what is your highest image size ?

++
David
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 00:48:14 am by dh42 » Logged
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 02:28:03 am »

what is your highest image size ?
Not sure I understand your question David, so here are the camera review page..

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5813815196/canons3is

My 2¢
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 05:25:24 am »

Hello

Not sure I understand your question David, so here are the camera review page..

The highest image resolution. In your case, it's 2816x2112 pixels

It's a nice cam, I think it's enough to do photogrammetry ; as you can see on my video, the result can be very interesting with pictures of ~ the same size than yours ..

Larger image can give better resolution but needs tons of RAM to be computed ...

++
David
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2019, 13:58:53 pm »

David, just looked at your video today and you got much better result than I got with Meshroom and Colmap. I'm pretty sure because of my complete lack of experience with this, but I'm trying.. Wink Grin. As of now I'm experimenting with the Cherub images only.

My 2¢
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 17:06:14 pm »

Just now, tried the 3Df Zephyr and so far I got the best result with it. As Eddy mentioned in previous post the free version is limited to 50 images, but what a difference! It does complete job just following the wizard, exports as obj file. Can't beat that with the stick. Next step for me to rig some sort of turntable and tripod. Result will be posted here..

* Capture.JPG (106.55 KB, 1091x781 - viewed 13 times.)

My 2¢
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2019, 19:13:54 pm »

Bubba,

You are correct, I'm thinking about buying zephyr lite

Made in England
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2019, 19:32:38 pm »

I'm going to try my camera first. If the results going to be just as good as the post above definitely consider the lite version as well.

My 2¢
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2019, 19:47:40 pm »

BUT . . .
I came across agisoft metashape standard for similar money so need to try that first.

Made in England
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 14:52:39 pm »

Just now, tried the 3Df Zephyr and so far I got the best result with it. As Eddy mentioned in previous post the free version is limited to 50 images, but what a difference! It does complete job just following the wizard, exports as obj file. Can't beat that with the stick. Next step for me to rig some sort of turntable and tripod. Result will be posted here..

An old tool and die maker like yourself doesn't have a couple rotary tables and a spare mag base?  

Nice thing about a rotary table is you can make sure you get equal movements for your 50 images. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 15:19:34 pm »

An old tool and die maker like yourself doesn't have a couple rotary tables and a spare mag base?  

Nice thing about a rotary table is you can make sure you get equal movements for your 50 images. 

Yes, Bob I did wrestled with Bridgeport 15" rotary table (that sucker was heavy), don't have use for those any my buddy have couple of those. In fact year ago I needed part made so of I went to his shop. That was before I helped him to convert his old cnc Bridgeport to Mach3, so now i no need for that heavy bastard.. Besides it would be to heavy for mommas dining room table, LOL.. Grin Grin

I will make simple one..
Cheers.

My 2¢
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: