CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 21:20:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Design Computer  (Read 146 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2017, 20:19:17 pm »

Rendering time is a killer for me sometimes.  I finally broke down and ordered a brand new computer for doing design work. 

I had previously been using a 32bit XP Pro 2 core 2.5ghz machine.  Oddly enough when I switched over to the slower 1.6ghz 64 Bit W10 box I am currently using my render time improved and I had fewer issues with memory limits with CB. 

So I am anxious for my new machine to arrive.  i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Liquid Cooled, GTX 1060 6GB, 2TB HDD, 240GB SSD, 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Should get here next week. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 20:31:02 pm »

Now, Bob, you will be spitting out the gcode so fast there is not a way those mills be able to keep up Grin Grin
BTW Sound like nice setup. Can you share the brand of the machine?

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 21:03:03 pm »

Its "gaming" machine built up by an outfit called Skytech. 

Brand really means nothing to me anyway.  I care more about the brand and model of the components. 

dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 21:31:41 pm »

Hello Bob,

I've the same CPU ; i7 6700K, overclocked at 4.5 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, VGA is different (Radeon RX470)

I'm a little disappointed because i7 6700K is a 4 cores .. but 8 threads (2 per core), so when a mop is calculated, it use only one thread .. so, only 1/8 of the CPU power. In a CB project, each mop use a separate thread for calculation, so it can be more efficient to have multiple mops to do the job ... if possible.

++
David

* Sans titre-1.png (40.24 KB, 1067x633 - viewed 12 times.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 21:40:25 pm by dh42 » Logged
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 21:39:41 pm »

Bob,
Don't be going cheap on the monitor ! otherwise it's all wasted.
These days I can't manage with any less than 2 monitors connected, and the front one has to be BIG
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 21:40:34 pm »

more info about my config, (but in french)
http://www.metabricoleur.com/t13065p25-montage-d-un-nouveau-pc#256913
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 23:19:32 pm »

Hello Bob,

I've the same CPU ; i7 6700K, overclocked at 4.5 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, VGA is different (Radeon RX470)

I'm a little disappointed because i7 6700K is a 4 cores .. but 8 threads (2 per core), so when a mop is calculated, it use only one thread .. so, only 1/8 of the CPU power. In a CB project, each mop use a separate thread for calculation, so it can be more efficient to have multiple mops to do the job ... if possible.

++
David

Ha!  With the work I do often I have dozens of MOPs even before nesting.  After nesting well, multiply that by the number of nests.  That is very much why I wanted a quad core machine.  So I could render more than two MOPs at a time. 

Bob,
Don't be going cheap on the monitor ! otherwise it's all wasted.
These days I can't manage with any less than 2 monitors connected, and the front one has to be BIG

Yep.  I agree.  I've been running dual monitors on whatever computer is my main work computer for atleast 15 years now.  Even just writing job quotes as a contractor it was so much easier to have a distributors website up on one, and the spreadsheet where I was working up the quote on the other.  Then the spread sheet and my quote form. 

I've got two 23" monitors on my desk now with a bigger monitor on the wall above for my security and machine monitoring cameras.  I'm getting ready to add another security monitor so I can have my primary machines up on one, and my outside cameras up on the other. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: