CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2020, 14:21:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rest machining - for me, the "only" missing feature in CamBam!  (Read 9210 times)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 00:25:12 am »

HI Sibianul

Those lines are malformed because the underlying geometry has issues, this causes what you are seeing.
There is a companion plugin here that will clean and repair the geometry.

I had to make this plugin because if you are using a file made by another cad program especially files
from the internet or have used CB functions to cut up and join the geometry (break at intersections)
is a common villain then you should run the file cleaner over the geometry to make sure that it has no
duplicate entries in the line.

It can be this issue here:
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4945.msg62407#msg62407

A lot of common problems that you might experience at the start of using the plugin are
explained in these threads:

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4945.0

This thread is where I first started writing the plugin and has some useful info as well.
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4665.0

The file cleaner:
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4924.0

For a plugin that started out with a simple premise, it quickly escalated into a
nightmare as the underlying complexity of doing it became apparent.

You can use the CC in a few different modes, for example if you don't generate
the mops then you should get closed polylines, if you don’t then there is something wrong with the geometry.
If you generate the lines with the mops checked then you should get open polylines.

Also if you want to keep a layer untouched between generating new lines then rename the layer.
There are times when you may need\want to do this.

If you can post that small segment of your file (the top left hand corner) I will look at it and explain
the issues found and provide a solution.

Dave
sibianul
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2020, 14:47:33 pm »

Those lines are malformed because the underlying geometry has issues, this causes what you are seeing.
There is a companion plugin here that will clean and repair the geometry.
Just a short reply Dave as I'm quite busy Sad, the lines are NOT malformed, are exactly how they should be, maybe I wasn't clear, it's just I had to draw the arcs to join OPEN lines toghether, because only when the lines are closed, Cambam could detect the collision when doing the slope profiles.

PS. I milled the part and it came out perfect Smiley I'm just posting the file to make things clear, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my previous message. I exploded the left corner so you see how the slope profile is milled if the lines are not closed. For simple models like this I will definitely use your plugin more often, even If I will have to manually join the lines together, it's more riskier on complex models, where there are many small unmilled corners .. but in time I will let you know how it goes. After this part that  milled yesterday, I'm quite happy, the plugin is very useful Smiley

* left corner has open poly .jpg (118.85 KB, 1018x794 - viewed 13 times.)
* colisiondetector.cb (75.56 KB - downloaded 5 times.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 19:43:35 pm by sibianul » Logged
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 01:08:24 am »

HI Sibianul

Malformed was probably a wrong term as you can not see the problems with the geometry on the screen
even though there is.

The insidious thing here is, within reason the cam part of CB will ignore those errors and
generate you a good mop most of the time.

For example say that you generated the a mop with a 3mm cutter and a stepover of 0.7
and generate the tool paths and run the job and everything works out OK, and then a
few months later you go to do the job again but have broken your 3 mm cutter and use
a 3.175 mm cutter and change the stepover to suit and all of a sudden the tool paths
wont be correct any more leaving you wondering what happened as it worked before.

The screen shot is of another Plugin (I have all of them installed)  also complaining
about some of the geometry I could go on and explain exactly what happened here
but it would take a long time, suffice to say some of the lines need to be cleaned
either with the built in functions of CB or the file cleaner.

I'm going to a little busy myself today as my laser has come and I have made the spindle mount and fitted it
to the mill and hope to make some 2.7 mm neoprene gaskets without burning the place down.

Dave

* Capture.PNG (104.83 KB, 1028x653 - viewed 10 times.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: