CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2018, 06:05:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Automatic tool changer for the lathe  (Read 13684 times)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2018, 04:25:33 am »

Hello

David, I think your saw looks similar in size to the saw I looked at (the $650 one) although that one looks  better made

It's an Italian product ; Mine is from ~ year 2000 ... model 105 (weight 17 kg) = actual 780XL.

This product still exist: 105, 120 and 150mm (Ø maxi for a round stock) with manual or automatic feed.

http://www.femi.it/en/

My automatic feed system  Grin  Grin

++
David
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:31:35 am by dh42 » Logged
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2018, 08:55:17 am »

I call that good use of available resources Grin.
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2018, 13:56:03 pm »

Another small update.
I have finally settled on a design for the Base Plates, and have cut and shaped the plates to size.
I have decided to standardise the CB turret files by including the stl of the part in every file.
I had to make a vice stop and orientate the vice along the milling table to get the Y Axis clearance.
I used a 16 mm endmill for the end features, which went well and saved a lot of time.

I also ran a air line to the mill and made a mounting for it and pointed it at the endmill, this worked better than I expected in removing the chips from the slots, even at the deepest part of the cut. The only annoyance was that the compressor cycled quite a bit (every 4 or 5 minutes) which seems a prodigious waste of energy.

I'm thinking that there must be a better way, perhaps a small 24 volt motor connected to a bellows style pump.

Dave

* Turret Base CB File.PNG (162.65 KB, 1326x580 - viewed 37 times.)

* part way through job using 16 mm end mill.png (312.63 KB, 500x281 - viewed 31 times.)

* New Wide Body Turret Bases.png (311.38 KB, 500x281 - viewed 32 times.)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2018, 13:00:52 pm »

HI All
Well this last week, I was supposed to have finished the 10 Base plates and started the side plates.

On the third plate into the job, the mill computer expired (hard Drive)  and upon opening it up and seeing the build date
on the cd rom (2001) I though I'd better retire it and get a new computer, then on a whim, I decided to use the NVEM controller I had sitting around (I'd kept it for another project) and it took a full week to rewire the mill and get the controller setup with the correct version of Mach3 and to operate properly.

I had to fiddle with it endlessly and the only thing I failed to get going  was the joystick, (turns out it wasn't going to work) so I've ordered a encoder wheel with which to make a pendant, as well as a base plate that fits onto the spindle with a er32 collet holder.

Dave

* my encoder.jpg (2.71 KB, 140x140 - viewed 227 times.)

* 3 jaw chuck replacement er32 collet adapter.jpg (5.28 KB, 140x140 - viewed 229 times.)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2018, 14:23:10 pm »

Another small update

Thinking about the compressor problem (it was cycling to much) and besides being noisy, was a huge waste of energy for such a simple task, I went about re-purposing an old 12 volt mini compressor by machining off the motor and replacing the bottom end bushing with two 22x8x7
roller bearings and mounting it to the spindle.

I didn't know if it would work, and was concerned about the heat build up with continuous running
or if it would pump out enough air volume  at a reasonable pressure  to remove the chips from the bottom of the 12 mm deep slots in the turret base plates.

And after a couple of hours running it seems ok (42Deg C) not very hot to the touch and the volume of air was  plenty enough to remove the chips from the slots at 12mm depth.
So for now I'm happy, but don't know how well the piston rings will hold up over time, and only time will tell. It is very quiet (sounds like a little wobbler steam engine running on air)

Five plates done so far.

Dave

* Modified Mini Compressor Head.png (196.82 KB, 388x218 - viewed 37 times.)

* compressor bush.png (190.3 KB, 388x218 - viewed 31 times.)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2018, 05:09:04 am »

Another small update.
The ER32 collet Adapter has come as well as a MT3 collet chuck for the lathe (just need to make a Drawbar).

In the picture I've placed the new base plate along side of the old one just to show the difference.
This so that, when the time comes to upgrade the controller to a PI for the AI it should be a bolt in replacement
with no further machining needed.(Hopefully).

Dave
Oh one more thing, I think I was overthinking what might go wrong with the compressor as it has worked well
and I had to restrict the flow a bit as chips were getting all over the shop I 'm going to have
make a shield or use curtains to keep them in the rough area of the machine. Grin

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:15:48 am by dave benson » Logged
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2018, 14:44:19 pm »

Another small update.
I Finally installed the ER32 Collet Adapter to the spindle, and while I was at it added two small gussets to the Z Axis Back Plate that I'd cut out previously when doing the new linear rails but had not installed them.

The difference was night and day, I ran a 16 mm Endmill at 200 mm minute to do the outside profiles and the finish  was quite good.
I then ran a 6 mm Endmill at 250 mm minute doing another stepper motor mount (12 mm deep in A36) and with the mini compressor mounted to the spindle, it went very well (I was expecting something bad to happen).
The chip clearance was fine.

I have removed the base plate from one of the two turrets that I was using for testing, and fitted one of the new wider plates,and have made a back plate and tomorrow (with a bit of luck) will finish the top plate which will be a bit tricky as it has to have a battery hatch, Bluetooth Dome and a hole for the switch all have to be water proof.

I've ordered a Acrylic Dome for the Buletooth Module which hopefully will come in a couple weeks, and will give me time to paint all the parts and fit the micro-controller and battery holder and battery management module.
As  I've found time I've cut more of the side plates and hope to finish them by the end of this week.
I've got squaring the stock down (in the shaper) to a fine art now. Grin
Dave

* Finished Base Plates.png (180.32 KB, 388x218 - viewed 27 times.)

* Finished rear plate top plate to do.png (208.53 KB, 388x218 - viewed 37 times.)

* First test after Adding ER32 Collet System And More Gussets to Z Axis.PNG (7.7 KB, 73x60 - viewed 163 times.)

* New Collet Adapter 16mm EndMill.png (213.85 KB, 388x218 - viewed 34 times.)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 14:05:21 pm »

Another small update

I've finished all the machining, except the recess for the Bluetooth module, which won't arrive for a couple of weeks and I don't want to machine this until I get it in my hands on it and measure it properly. (I might do a little engraving for the on/off switch and a serial number) and have ordered a 1mm endmill for this.

What I'm going to do now, is completely disassemble it and paint all the parts separately and then install the electronics and perform the battery tests.

I'm still cutting the plates for the other turrets, it's a slow process and there are many to do.

On a side note, since installing the ER32 Collet adapter, I can't use the old method of setting the Z height and have been using the (ground pin method) to set it.
However sometimes I've hit the down button instead of the up button Roll Eyes and have damaged an end mill this way, and had a few near misses, so I've made a tool height setter and modified a probing routine to suit my own needs.
I should have done this earlier as it makes the job of setting the tool height a breeze.

Dave

* Battery Cover Installed.png (3475.54 KB, 1000x1778 - viewed 26 times.)

* Tool Height Setter.png (1238.53 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 34 times.)

* All finished but the Bluetooth Dome.png (1278.69 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 39 times.)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2018, 14:28:39 pm »

Another small Update

While waiting for the BlueTooth Dome, I machined the pocket for the On/Off switch, and tried out the Auto-leveler function of G-code Ripper.
And am pretty pleased with the result (I used one of George Races Stick Fonts) and have to say that the file was huge, but worked very well.

I also prepared the wiring and fitted the micro-controller and drilled and pinned the front Bearing Plate to the Base plate so that the turret can be
taken apart and serviced and put back together with the registration correct for the indexer position and correct Center Height.

Dave

* Engraving test with G-code Ripper.png (186.04 KB, 388x218 - viewed 31 times.)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2018, 22:50:59 pm »

Well It pay's to be patient, a couple hours after I posted yesterday, the Bluetooth dome turned up
and the measurements were 47.5 mm dia by 29.5 mm tall (Advertised measurements 50 X 30).

Dave
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2018, 23:08:39 pm »

AHAH!  The BOX was 50 x 30!!!  Roll Eyes

Good on you for waiting.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2018, 13:25:37 pm »

Hi LLoyd

When I order from Hong Kong  or China directly, most of the descriptions are ok, but when ordering from Singapore or Malaysia I'm a bit wary as they are mostly shop fronts which take your order and then order it from China and may have never have Actually had the object in their hands. (This product was directly shipped from China)

Hong Kong has the fastest Shipping and sadly the longest wait was from within the country (Darwin) where they must still deliver by Pack Horses and Camels.
The product looks good though, so I'm Happy, the only thing is it presents a bit of a challenge to fixture for, as it is a Dome shape.

Dave
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2018, 13:26:33 pm »

Another small update.
I made a mandrel and machined the Bluetooth Dome, and then undertook the battery tests.

I used three different Brands of batteries.
Panasonic     3200 mah.   4 off
Borruit          4000 mah.  8 off
No Name       6000 mah.  8 off.

The Panasonic all lasted through the tests  6 cycles ---> 724 tool changes continuous.
Of the others 7 failed to recharge after the first cycle. And usually failed early at around 240 tool changes.

It just happened to work out that one of the three batteries in a set usually failed, and the other two were ok. 
The rest that got through the first cycle went fine and did 710 tool changes even though they were rated at higher capacity than the Panasonic’s.

Lesson learned  The Branded batteries worked out cheaper in the long run.

One thing to note is this test does not give a good indication of  how many tool changes to expect
during the normal course of  operation, because the turrets have a Idle current of around 284 ma.

I've been using the turret for not quite  2 weeks now and one night accidentally left it on, and in the morning the batteries were flat and I had to swap them out for a new set to carry on.

Yesterday the left handed turning tool came, so I've fitted that and made a Boring tool holder for my 11 mm Boring Bar and will make one to suit a ¼ inch that I have as well.

I've ordered the Bandsaw I spoke about earlier (the small one) which can be used Vertically as well as Horizontally which hopefully will stop a lot of grinder work in making the tool rests.

Dave

* turret full tool kit.png (186.98 KB, 388x218 - viewed 25 times.)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2018, 13:34:32 pm »

'Tis a pity you can't rig up some sort of inductive battery charging system, so that whenever the machine is in its 'home' position, the batteries are recharging -- without wires!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2018, 00:41:54 am »

Funny you say that, I'm subscribed to some of the Uni EE departments around the world (just to see what's on the Horizon) and depending on the application there are a few different methods to do this.

Perhaps a few weeks ago now, on the Autoline show on You tube they had a guy discussing
this idea for EV's, coils buried in the highway were a non starter, but at home and in large employee car parks made some sense.
And from the figures he quoted the efficiency of near field charging wasn't as bad as I thought.

As to the turrets, well frankly I don't know if I have the Technical savvy or the room in the turrets to do this.
For now I'm going to “stick to my knitting” and try to improve my systems and processes as I can't keep up with my own self imposed schedule.

One thing I am going to do is (from a piece of received feedback) is to move the Indexer securing
bolts off the centre line by 4 mm, so that it is easier to adjust it, if for example you run the turret into the chuck and the overload bolt releases then you have to reset the centre height.

To do this you must release the indexer and place the adjustment rod under the tool opposite the
tool that's going to do the cutting and tighten up the overload bolt to around 50 ft/lbs.

But if you forget to release the indexer you will move the indexer out of position. And then have to reset it, and as the indexer is very sensitive to small misalignment's this will cause it to play up.

This means having to take the side covers off as well as the top cover, which is a pain in the butt.

If I had thought about this better, I would have offset the M4 button head screws (from the centre line of the Indexer wheel ) which would mean just having to undo the top cover and sliding it to the side and you would have easy access to the screws without having to remove the side covers as well.
So I'm already up to Mk4 Turrets and hope that there's no MK5's.

Dave
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: