CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2018, 19:12:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automatic tool changer for the lathe  (Read 7025 times)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 05:29:06 am »

Another small update....
Both turrets are at the same level of completeness (ready for their rear and top covers).
The second turret has clocked up a little under 9000 tool changes.

I did have to make a change to the design and fit a 4mm SHCS to the Stepper Motor to Indexer collar instead of the grub screws (Double Grubbed) to stop them coming loose. I would have liked to put another grub screw in the collar, but the stepper motor gearbox shaft has a Flat milled on it and there was no practical place to put one, anyway because the Allen Key for the SHCS is is so much larger you can tighten it up without fear of stripping out the grub socket.
This worked well and has seen many thousands of tool changes now, and has held fast.

Along with the indexer came some software enhancements.

The turrets can not be presented to the work piece  in an non-indexed state (Always synchronised with the present Mach3 running gcode).

And checks are done for Miss Indexing (maybe you used the FEED HOLD or STOP buttons in Mach3, released the indexer and turned the turret around by hand in the middle of a job to inspect a tool and forget to set it in it's tool position or perhaps half way between tool stations. This doesn't matter any more as they Auto Index. See video at the 4 minute mark.
 www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZLU4gCf-UY&t=410s

Dave

* Both Turrets at the same Level of completeness.png (1209.06 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 20 times.)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 18:32:13 pm »

Nice.  Nice testing too. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 21:52:33 pm »

It look god on picture but couldn't see the video, it keeps buffering forever for some strange reason.

My 2¢
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 22:05:33 pm »

Yes, same for me, the video must be 9:26 min long, but it stall at 6:48

To see the first part from 0:00 to 6:48, move the time slider to the leftmost position.

Nice job Dave  Grin

++
David
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2018, 01:25:52 am »

Thanks David, your suggestion works. Nice work you did with the changer Dave. Now you need heavy production workload.. Wink Grin

My 2¢
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2018, 13:51:09 pm »

Guy's
I don't what I did differently with this video that I'd done with the others!.
I'll try and upload it again when I get some time.

Nah, they will never see production work Bubba, when I was searching around for idea's after the brake Idea failed (because  I would have to had too large a solenoid to make it work).

I went over to a friends engineering works and we spent some time looking at his Indexing and universal Dividing Heads  (some of them fit their Cincinnati Number 5) and some small 12 inch one's.
It was very interesting, as there was some different methods used to index, and a lot of very fine machining and grinding.

One thing for sure, was that I wasn't  going to achieve that level of precision with my machines
or my ability trying to make a true Indexer.

So while I still call the Indexer “The Indexer” I had to modify the scallop features from being a semi-circle to a modified sine wave and modify the parking routine with a small rocking motion
which Latches and Unlatches the Indexer.  This works so well that, once latched the solenoid alone can not unlatch the mechanism without the motor doing it's little dance.

The only time so far that I've used the turret in anything like a production manner was when making the indexer bases in the above pic at the same time I ran the lathe making the Indexer bases 10 off which consisted off 4 tool changes Right hand turning tool to machine 25.4 down to 25 for 300 mm and then the Parting tool used to grove the material down to 10 mm dia at each indexer body length and then left and right hand chamfers on the ends of each cylinder.

The lathe ran through and finished unattended while I was baby sitting the mill making the indexer bases because  I had to stand at the mill with an extra air gun and help evacuate the chips during the deep spiral milling operations.

Of course at this stage the bodies were only half finished and had to be removed from the lathe and cut at the parting lines into cylinders which, were then faced each end and bored and stepped for the spring relief and the bush.

So this meant that in the 2 hours it took to machine the 10 indexer bases, the lathe had  finished the 10 indexer bodies to the half way stage at the same time by itself  (45 minutes)  I didn't even look at it until I finished the indexer bases and while not fantastic, in this case it was a definite help.

Dave
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: