CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2019, 07:27:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal casting  (Read 728 times)
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2018, 02:38:47 am »

So my 14 yr. old grandson wants to try casting and we looked at building a furnace. However we were visiting an old friend of mine who was dying from brain cancer and he said he had all the equipment and we were welcome to use it. He was a shop teacher and it all came from a school shop when they did away with shop classes. Unfortunately he passed a few months ago. I know his sons too so I asked them what they were going to do with his huge collection of tools of all kinds. They weren't interested and they told me to ask their mom about the casting equipment. She very kindly said we could have it all for nothing as I was good friend.

So today we hauled home a Speedy-Melt gas fired furnace and the blower and controls. We also got two man tongs for lifting the crucibles from the furnace, several different size pouring handles, six cope and drags of various sizes in cast iron, aluminum, and stainless. We also got a pyrometer, and five graphite clay crucibles, two of which are bottom pour style. Also about 30 lbs of zinc ingots, there are at least 200 lbs more available. It all looks rough after sitting in the shed for maybe 15 years but should clean up nice.

I want to try lost foam and lost wax casting as we have the CNC mill I built with a 18" work cube and a full enclosure so carving up foam and wax will be easy.  My grandson is on the First Robotics team at school. Maybe their robot will be one of the first with custom cast parts!

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 12:51:21 pm »

Wow!  Y'know... I'd probably only use such a tool once every couple of years, but it would be a nice addition to any 'general-purpose' shop!  The largest furnace I ever had was a 1/2-cu-ft 'enameling kiln'... but it wouldn't get hot enough to cast anything but pot metal.

I wish you well!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 13:01:21 pm »

Sorry to hear about your friend, but what an excellent acquisition.
My first project would be some wood plane bodies.

Made in England
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 15:31:28 pm »

Keeps us up to date on your exploits.  Its always fun to see other people's progress on something like this. 

I've been slowly accumulating parts and materials for a forced air furnace.  I've been doing some research and my goal is to come up with a recipe to recycle 6061 in the "home" shop.  

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 17:09:07 pm »

The furnace has all kinds of controls for use indoors. I am going to use propane not natural gas and we’ll use it outside without the controls.  So I am going to add large wheels like a handtruck so we can roll it out of the shed, fire it up, do a pour or two and wheel it back in.

I’ll post some pictures when we get it cleaned up ready to run.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 22:56:53 pm »

FIRST FIRE!

We cleaned it up and found out it is all in very good shape.  All the controls work!  Press the start button and it fires right up.  Has a fire eye, if the flame goes out it shuts everything down and keeps the blower going until the furnace is cleared of gas.

All we had handy in the morning before it started raining was some soda cans we smashed flat.  Lots of dross as they tend to burn up but we poured a nice shiny puddle of aluminum into a stainless bowl.

I need to make a dross spoon and get some more aluminum.  We have crucible tongs and pouring handle but I am not impressed.  I think the tongs can be modified so you can take the crucible out of the furnace and directly pour it without setting it down to transfer to the pouring handles.  then drop it right back in the furnace before it cools much for the next melt.  I am going to give it a try.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 19:28:37 pm »

Hey Gary,  Your post on HSM seems to have gotten into the usual stuff about can/can't should/shouldn't. 

I am very curious about your success casting 6061 as you mentioned there.  What I have read about 6061 is if cast it needs to be fast cooled, and maybe pressure formed.  It seemed like you were just doing ordinary gravity casting with a silicon additive.  The link you posted seems to be a part of the sale pages viewable only to the buy and seller of a transaction. 

I did some searching and all I found was ferrosilicone which seems to be a silicon alloy intended for ferrous metal casting.  Any chance that was what you used.  The melting point seems to be a lot higher than aluminum. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: