CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2019, 17:27:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: made a tool for a non-profit, but didn't expect accolades  (Read 211 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2019, 22:44:26 pm »

Yesterday, I 'worked' setup and photography in a fireworks show for the Paul Newman's Boggy Creek Gang sick children's 'resort' near Paisley Florida.  Terminally-ill children are brought to the camp, free of charge, and allowed to enjoy all sorts of recreations and adventures they'd never experience at home.  They stay a week, and get to do all that.  And this week was our annual FPAG benefit show for Boggy creek, so the kids there this week got 'extra'.  There were 162 of the kids there;  All were cancer victims.

We set up an hour-long fireworks show for the kids, and it was well-received.

A couple of years ago, I built a pressing rig (mold, guides, platen, rods, and hydraulic press itself) for our Florida fireworks club - FPAG (Florida Pyrotechnics Arts Guild) - in order to press 'lance'... those pieces used to make fire-drawings to depict shapes and images.  They're just simple 4" long paper tubes about 0.25" inch diameter into which is pressed colored fire compositions to produce the colored points of light that make the drawings.  The rig allows the pressing of 72 lance in one pressing session, so as not to take as long as pressing them 'one at a time', which is the usual method.

It turns out, the club used the press to produce over 4000 lance for the show, and EVERY ONE lit and worked properly!  I even got some accolades for having made it at the club's business meeting before the show. 

Also, in 2008(yeah, that long ago!) I had made for them a large batch of 'gerbs', those large fountains that project sparks 15-20 feet into the air for 5 to 20 seconds time.  There were a number of those on the show, too, and every one worked!  (almost 12 years old!).  YEEHAW!!!

Every once in a while, a project actually works the way it's intended! <grin>

I know... I'm just bragging, and bragging is audacious if not rude.  But it was quite a pleasure!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 23:40:53 pm »

Brag away! You did a good thing for a good cause. Awesome!!
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 02:14:19 am »

Who knew there was such a thing as a Fireworks Club?   Huh

Pyromaniacs unite!

Sounds like fun.
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:15:23 am »

Brag away! You did a good thing for a good cause. Awesome!!

+1. We need thumbs-up icon! Wink

My 2ยข
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:35:57 am »

Who knew there was such a thing as a Fireworks Club?   Huh

Pyromaniacs unite!

Sounds like fun.
"Pyromaniacs striking matches ..." - remembered an old song from Dr. Hook  Grin

Lloyd, it'll be nice to see more bragging like this.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 12:04:42 pm »

Very few folks know there are formal 'clubs' for pyrotechnics.  

We have many members who deeply love the art, but the guild doesn't tolerate 'bangers'... people who just like to burn stuff or make noise.  We actively promote safety and artistic display of pyrotechnics, and lobby our politicians to keep them legal in as many places as possible.  

Also, as you see with our Florida Guild, most guilds and clubs around the country have at least one charity to receive some of their efforts in the form of staged, high-quality shows.

You won't see fireworks as well-made or as artistically displayed anywhere, even from the big international pyro companies, except perhaps on the island of Malta and in Japan, both where it's a national obsession.

I'm 70, and have been actively building fireworks from scratch since I was 14.  I joined the Florida Guild in 1995, three years (sorry, ONE year) after it was formed.  We had 22 members, then.  Now we have almost 200!

L
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 16:58:47 pm by lloydsp » Logged

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: