CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 21:26:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCNC - someone using it here?  (Read 1011 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 11:57:04 am »

Andrea,
I am not a Linux geek but not a green novice too. Although due to lack of practice I've forgotten a lot of things, especially working in the console Smiley  But I can boldly say that Mach3 is way way ahead in terms of user interface and ease of setup compared to the raw fresh installed LinuxCNC. Intuitiveness is what lacks in most Linux applications, Linux developers seem to expect the user to be as good as them.
 Now on topic:
I see pin one set as e-stop output on the picture you supplied. Which makes me think e-stop is interpreted in a different way than in Mach3. In Mach3 it is an INPUT from the machine - a physical button which triggers an input pin level and tells the software to do an immediate stop when pressed.

'Hard coded' in the sense that LinuxCNC would be programmed to interpret machine X0/Y0 to be in the middle of the table and values change to +- one half of the axis travel.

My home switches are at one end of the travel - all wired sequentially to one input pin on the BOB and holding it to ground when not triggered. Logical 'high' means one has been triggered. During homing axes are driven one by one - Z first (home is the highest position), then Y, then X. This way when a trigger occurs the program knows which axis does it. Then a tiny move back until the signal is off and this is the machine zero for that axis.  Limit switches are wired the same way to another single input on the BOB. There is an option in Mach3 to treat home switches as limit switches during work - they set the home position only while homing is executed otherwise they act as limits.
I am not able to replicate this behavior in LinuxCNC with the wizard.
All I get is multi trigger error messages when I manually actuate a switch. I've selected "all home" option and this is a severe lack of flexibility in the setup. No way of combining at user's discretion as it is in Mach3.
I can't figure how to set the direction of travel to be towards the home switches not opposite. At the same time keyboard jogging corresponds to the left-right to-from keys. If I change the 'dir' signal to 'invert' in the wizard it will perhaps move the homing in the right direction but then the keyboard will be inadequate.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
newlinuxuser
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 20:13:43 pm »

Hello Dragonfly, I cannot compare the two interfaces, I don't know mach3, I just tried it on my machine, but the system was configured by the vendor.

The picture I attached was just an example from the official manual, not from my machine. I write from a different computer in a different location.
Here the online stepconf wizard manual: http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/stepconf.html

The pin #1 is from the computer to the electronics for stopping everything.
As I said in the last post, you have to put in the right column the # wire from the stop switch (normally NC) for say to linuxcnc when it is pushed. If you have an NO contact in the same screen you can reverse the signal.
You have to choose the right item, should be external E-STOP.
In this screen you have also to set the limit switch and, selecting the type of switch from the menu drop box.
You can choose between no switch, limit switch and, as your machine (and my machine too) the limit and home switch.
Here the wiki for setting the limit/home switch: http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Homing_And_Limit_Switch

Then you have to tell to linuxcnc how  your machine is, all the setting are in the screen explained in the chapter AXIS CONFIGURATION.

Here you have to put the measure of your axis, the location of limit switches (where the switch are located from the 0, (in your machine I suppose near a middle of the axle lenght) and the direction for homing.
This part may be is not really intuitive, but you need to do this just une time, I did it about 6 years ago and is still the same.  Grin
If you like it I can give you the setting of my router, it is different, the 0 for example is in the down left corner, but may can help you.

Important: if you run stepconf for a little change you have to select to use the same file you saved the last time, making changes near "on the fly".

Andrea

newlinuxuser
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 20:27:56 pm »

Hello Dragonfly, I have read now the first chapter of stepconf wizard manual.
There is the option IMPORT A MACH FILE.
Maybe this is the easier way  Grin
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 23:35:38 pm »

Thank you for your input very much indeed, Andrea,
My current router is the third iteration I build personally, including the electronics. I know every bolt and nut, every piece of wire too. Therefore I am comfortable with the basic settings, and as I said the machine is moving correctly. My problems are with the details as I want to reproduce the functionality with Mach3 without changing a single wire.
I have the manuals and am reading through them but some things are not clear enough. So I have to go by trial and error method.
Of course, first thing I tried was to import Mach3 settings. But it did only read and set the motor output pins which is the easiest task even manually. Nothing else was set accordingly. Mach3 motor setup requires only pulses per unit (mm or inch) and it is the user's responsibility to do the calculations (no pulleys, no microsteps, no screw pitch, etc.). 

I'll do some more reading and digging and will write about the results after that.

Ivan

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 17:29:54 pm »

Not directly related to the topic but just want to say that today I engraved a small PCB working only in Linux. Used CamBam for Linux and latest Mono. Also G-Code ripper for auto leveling driven by Linux Python.
First time I do a real project in CamBam for Linux and produce it after that.

EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 19:53:16 pm »

You have moved quickly in just a week, good effort !
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: