CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2018, 22:20:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: Once You Are in a Government Database the Vultures Come Out in FORCE  (Read 705 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2017, 18:23:06 pm »

Many many years ago I was a government contractor listed with GSA in their database.  The only reason I did that was because a local government employee told me to get on the government bid list, so they could solicit a bid from me for a job they wanted me to do.  I did a few jobs for government agencies after that and sold a few parts, but never, NOT ONE TIME, was it because I was a listed government contractor.  Every job I ever did or part I ever sold was because somebody who knew me personally asked me to bid the job.  What I did get was more than 15 years of hundreds if not thousands of solicitations from companies who wanted to sell me their services because they harvested my name and contact information off the contractor database.  I dropped my government listing and didn't allow it renew a long time ago.  Maybe ten years ago, and I still got occasional calls like that.  It finally ended when I disconnected the phone number for my old contracting company a month ago. 

Step ahead a little.  I registered the trademark name CNC Molds N Stuff for my machining business.  I started mid last year I think, and a few months ago they finally approved my trademark.  Now I get regular emails, and mailings from trademark attorney's wanting to sell me their services along with a fair number of companies names suspiciously similar to the Us Patent and Trademark Office trying to scam me into paying fake bills for services.  Did I gain any real benefit from having a registered trademark?  Not really.  I did go after a guy last year who was cyber squatting my name and redirecting web traffic to his mold making business, but I got him to give up the URL because exposure would have seriously damaged him in the mold making community.  What he was doing may have even been fraud, and not just cyber squatting.  Having a registered trademark didn't help there either as I had not yet complete my registration. 

What did I really gain?  More vultures trying to sell me services or scam me because they harvested my contact info off a government database. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 18:40:01 pm »

Ayup!

I'm discontinuing my business line AND old email account associated with it in three days.

Same reason.  I get eight to ten calls a day on that line.  ALL are spam!  I get thirty or forty emails a day.  All are scam.

I'm 'out' of the commercial-listings, just like you.  I get all my sales by direct referrals, anyway!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: