CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 11:11:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 pockets share 1 line  (Read 247 times)
custombuitl15@gmail.com
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2017, 15:49:11 pm »

Hello all I am new to this software. I have imported my dxf file and have 2 pockets at different depths that at one point share the same line. I can successfully make 1 of the pockets but when I try to create the other I select the line shared by the 2 and the 1st pocket is also selected. I have tried adding a poly line on top of the shared line but CamBam still selects the entire 1st pocket. I'm sure the answer is here on the forum but I think I am lacking the terminology for my search. This must be a common practice right? I think I am just missing a basic step. I attached the cb file if anyone wants to take a look. Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

* Lamp right panel.cb (13.64 KB - downloaded 13 times.)
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 16:23:20 pm »

There is only one closed polyline to use for pocket!

Use this as reference...

http://www.cambam.info/doc/plus/
custombuitl15@gmail.com
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 17:13:02 pm »

Thank you for the reply. I''m sorry but I'm just not understanding. I have read through the link you sent and am still confused. I have uploaded a pic. The red line I have as a pocket, the 3 green arrow are pointing to the 3 sides of the 2nd pocket, the 4th side of the 2nd pocket is part of the 1st pocket. When I select it cambam selects the entire 1st pocket as well. The 2 pockets have 2 different target depths. Hopefully that makes sense.

* IMG_1099.PNG (1362.98 KB, 640x854 - viewed 18 times.)
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 17:18:27 pm »

Easiest is turn on object snap and snap a new line to end points of the two lines touch the first pocket. While it is still selected press ctrl and pick other three lines of picket. Type ctrl J and join them into a polyline and use that for the profile or perimeter.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 17:21:02 pm »

I completely understand.  ANY pocket must be described by a completely-closed polyline.  In other words, pocket #2 must have its OWN (not 'shared') polyline to describe its shape.

For your purposes, make a copy of pocket #1's shape.  Then select BOTH that new copy AND pocket #2's polyline.

Do a "break at intersections".  Then select the parts of #1's copy that are no longer needed, and delete them.

Then select #2's old line, and the new 'pieces' of #1's copy, and 'join' them.

Now you'll have a closed polyline that completely describes pocket #2.  Change the polyline ID in #2's pocketing MOp to match the number of the new line you just created.

(noting what Gary just published, that will work as well.  The important thing is that each pocket must have its own completely 'closed' polyline to describe its boundaries)

Lloyd
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 17:22:44 pm by lloydsp » Logged

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
custombuitl15@gmail.com
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 18:23:25 pm »

Gary and Lloyd Thank you both very much! I tried it both ways and both worked great. I was lacking the understanding that all the lines created ended up in the tree (not sure if that's the right term) on the left. I'm excited to have found software with such a great community behind it.

Thanks again!

Ken

* IMG_1100 (2).JPG (1215.52 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 15 times.)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 18:38:49 pm »

I'm excited to have found software with such a great community behind it.

Its been said before, but I think it bears repeating.  That is one of CamBam's best features. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: