CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 06:31:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slots/joints generator  (Read 267 times)
Mark81
Droid

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2017, 17:43:48 pm »

Hi!
I saw this thread: http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4545.0 but I think this script doens't fit my wishes.

I laser cut 3 mm plywoods. As you know to make 3D objects usually one makes slots in both pieces to keep them together. I'm talking about "straight" joints (I'm sorry I don't know the correct word), i.e. slots cut on the XY plane, the same where the piece lies.

Right now I'm making the slots manually and it takes a lot of time and it's error prone.
Is there a plugin to help?

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 18:00:09 pm »

Mark,

Show us a picture of an example...

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Mark81
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 18:07:15 pm »

Attached a simple cb file where you can see a common type of slots to make a "box" (actually without the top element).
I begin drawing the expected external profile, then I manually "cut" each side to make the slots.

* slots.cb (11.63 KB - downloaded 12 times.)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 18:15:50 pm »

Mark,
We in the USA call those "finger joints".  I'm nearly certain that there's a plugin or script to do that, because I've done them a few times, too. 

I designed and built some wooden bird-scare rocket launcher boxes for NASA (for the Shuttle landing area), and they were entirely-assembled with finger joints and 'backup blocks'.  Mine were of 6mm plywood, but that wouldn't matter.

Let me briefly review that work, and I'll get back to you.

Lloyd

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 18:34:06 pm »

Mark,
The only script I can find for cutting finger joints was intended to be used with a routing cutter, not a laser.  As such, in order to get the joints 'square', McBob (the author) designed it to work on the vertical, much as you would cut dovetails with a manual router, in a dovetail 'jig'.

This won't suit.  Further, since you don't need the 'overcut' a round bit would cause, you're perfectly fine cutting these in the 'flat'.

So... a 'broadcast'.  Do any of you have a script for drawing 'castellated lines'? 

I think I could write one fairly easily, but I'm in a time-bind for the next few days.   I _think_ I remember 10-Bulls posting a 'toy box' that had castellated lines -- but I don't recall if they were drawn or computed.

Mark... hold tight!  This is an incredibly-helpful community!

Lloyd

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 19:05:57 pm »

AH!  FOUND IT!

This is a .vbs script for Cambam 0.98 that creates a finger-joint box.

If you're not a programmer, someone will have to help you add the menus and options to make it 'divide' a side into the correct number of segments.  But it works for a fixed design right now, so it's a perfect example of the sort of code you need.

Attached.

Lloyd

* crenelated box.zip (1.02 KB - downloaded 9 times.)

Mark81
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 20:40:57 pm »

Thanks! Actually, I am a programmer. I will try to look into the code and give it a try!
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 20:43:22 pm »

Hah!  Hooray!  Folks, we have another emerging CB script and plugin programmer!

!!!!

Lloyd

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 20:47:46 pm »

BTW, Mark...

With the right amount of sophistication in that routine (perhaps as a plug-in, instead of a script), it could take a 'selected rectangle', and crenelate it to a specific number of joints, automatically based upon some sort of "max/min" joint width specification, material thickness, etc.

There's enough information available about polylines through the various libraries so that you could make it work optimally with ANY shape, length, etc.

Just keep that in mind for 'future'.  Right now, your first task is to learn CB's interface.

Lloyd

dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 21:25:53 pm »

Hello

And this one ?

http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/BoxAuto.html

++
David
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 21:37:11 pm »

OH! I didn't know about that one, David!  Thank you.

MARK!  STOP!  There's already one DONE!  And if you're a programmer, you can probably tailor it to suit your own needs!

Lloyd

(OOPS!  Apparently I DID see that when it came out, because I made one post in the thread! <urk!>)
L
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 21:40:30 pm by lloydsp » Logged

Mark81
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 21:49:34 pm »

Oh wow! That's GREAT!
I bet there are a lot of outstanding plugins/scripts out there, but it's hard (for me) to find them.
This one is far enough to begin! With some cut and paste I can add the other parts I would need.

I apologize for the off-topic but I don't undestand if these plugins are open-source. I see only the dll, not the source code. I mean, you said I might change something to fit my own needs (of course sharing the new "forked" code) but from the links I don't see the source code. Or it's just too late and I need to rest?  Cheesy
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 21:58:44 pm »

I apologize for the off-topic but I don't undestand if these plugins are open-source. I see only the dll, not the source code. I mean, you said I might change something to fit my own needs (of course sharing the new "forked" code) but from the links I don't see the source code. Or it's just too late and I need to rest?

here
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5435.msg48532#msg48532

++
David
Mark81
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 21:59:52 pm »

Ok, thanks again.
In the future I will search in the messages of the related thread - got it.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 22:07:27 pm »

on the plugin website, there is always a link that falls on the forum, and often the sources are given (but not always)

PS, in the case of this plugin, the sources are in VB .net, but Carlo has also done a 'translation' in C# for Linux ; have a look on the lasts post of the topic ; not sure that it's finished (I'm not a Linux User)

++
David
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 22:11:04 pm by dh42 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: