CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 10:01:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A plugin idea (sphere)  (Read 414 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2017, 13:13:09 pm »

I am too far behind in terms of programming and being into CamBam API to try it myself. And there are already plugins which do almost what I have in mind but not completely. And ... there actually may exist a tool I have missed which does it.
Here is the idea: Using a tool with a spherical head (not ball nose but a sphere with a stem) to mill a sphere with a stem, i.e. go below the middle and do a spherical undercut as far as the tool geometry would allow. Both convex and concave spherical shapes. The reason for this is that I want to make a kind of ball joint.
Is it doable and anyone (Eddy I mean you Wink ) willing to give it a try?
Here is a small graphical representation.

* path3345.png (2.14 KB, 66x113 - viewed 81 times.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 13:16:39 pm by Dragonfly » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 13:18:07 pm »

I would use a lathe  Cheesy or a 4th axis
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 13:22:28 pm »

Me too if I only had them Smiley
Your Profile2Helix plugin is almost there.

P.S. Even with a lathe and 4-th axis internal cavity would not be that easy IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 13:24:12 pm by Dragonfly » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 13:38:08 pm »

I was playing with a vertical plugin for use with a large diameter winged cutter but the problems kept mounting up. Time is not good at the moment to revisit that.

Is CamBam Lathe no use ? I've never looked into it deeply enough to know.

* Image3.jpg (167.59 KB, 800x924 - viewed 39 times.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 13:45:12 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:58:36 am »

Me too if I only had them Smiley
Your Profile2Helix plugin is almost there.

P.S. Even with a lathe and 4-th axis internal cavity would not be that easy IMHO.
We the profile2helix plugin all the time with a winged rounded edge cutter to cut flanges with a curved undercut much deeper than you show. A ball would be really easy. We draw the part profile, offset the line by the tool nose radius, then move that line over in X by the tool radius of winged cutter center line. Then generate the helix and use engrave.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 09:05:18 am »

I have tried with only a semi-circular profile and didn't get the desired result. But did not guess to make a profile like in Eddy's example. Will give it a try.

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:19:40 am »

I tried to reproduce the profile from the picture by Eddy but got only the top hemisphere. The helix stops at the equator.
Are we talking about the same plugin?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: