CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 21:21:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Break Edges Plugin  (Read 951 times)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:30:32 am »

HI All

I've a bit of time on my hands waiting for the X axis Lead screw to arrive, so I thought I would Make a Break edges plugin to Break the edges on some of the parts I make (previously I've done this by hand with a calculator).

So I whipped up one these last couple of days, below is a test CB file and the machined result from it.

All you do is select your Style Library,Tool Library and tool, then enter the face width of the fillet that you wish to create  and then make the mop.

To Make it simulate with the camotics simulator properly I had to enter the tool diameter as the diameter at the top of the flutes.

And to get the cut width correct for CB I had to Get the plugin to enter the effective diameter of the tool at the top of the stock.

I actually made a mistake when generating the file leaving the feed rate at 800 mm minute, but it turned out spectacularly well.
I realise now that you could do counter-sinking larger than the diameter of the tool as well.

As David pointed out you generally specify the chamfer in from the edges of the stock and I have specified the cut width of the chamfer.

So if you have an opinion on this, I would like to know and I can either modify the plugin or provide an informational text box that tells you the chamfer in from the edges of the stock.

Dave

* Break edges plugin form Capture.PNG (193 KB, 1104x608 - viewed 62 times.)

* Break edges circular Test in al nice.png (985.04 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 60 times.)

* Break edges al test 1mm wide face width.png (1091.22 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 52 times.)
* break edges test on machine with al.cb (4.56 KB - downloaded 14 times.)
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:10:53 pm »

Dave,

Where's the plugin ?
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:19:00 am »

HI Eddy
Here you go.

I didn't really want to post it yet as I've not tested it with cutters other than the 90 Deg cutter sofar.

And had and issue where you loaded the plugin and set the face width and then generated the mop
however you then had to right click on the mop and select the geometry to apply the mop to.

But I wanted to select the geometry first and then generate the mop, like you would normaly do with any other mop but hadn't worked out to do this yet.

I've done this now (over thought it too much) it was easy when I came back to it later on. Roll Eyes

Dave

* Break Edges.zip (10.92 KB - downloaded 19 times.)
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:32:32 am »

Dave,

I have a folder with as many CamBam plugin source projects that I can muster. Then I use this tool; http://stefanstools.sourceforge.net/grepWin.html to find code snippets required. This method works well for me.
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:03:46 am »

Hi
Thanks for the link, as soon as the kids go to bed and I can get some bandwidth back I'll download it as I've used grep and It's something I should have already had, as I have VS 2010 to 2017 installed as well as many other compilers and code snippets in each of their folders and have often struggled  to find stuff.

I did a few more tests today and the gcode seems fine.
I added a 60 Degree cutter and cut some complex shapes out and then chamfered some and beveled others, and they turned out very well.
Here's a pic of the result of two objects with a 45 and a 60 deg chamfer, it's not terribly clear as my phone camera is rubbish.
My X axis lead screw turned up today (Hooray) so if no one finds any bugs I'll post it in the plugin's section on the weekend.

Dave
edit have included the cb file with the tool libraries to show how i set up the tool for camotics.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:06:24 am by dave benson » Logged
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 01:40:50 am »

HI all
I had a bit of time so I thought I would add the "select style from style library" function, and have run into a problem.
so I have this code in a class.

CamBam.CAM.MOPProfile profile = new CamBam.CAM.MOPProfile(file, MY_shapelist.ToEntities());
            //update selected parameters
            style.ApplyTemplateToMOP(profile);

and I can see that the style has the values that I put in it and has passed through to the class but after applying the
" style.ApplyTemplateToMOP(profile);" function, the profile has not been updated so what I'm asking is, is there something else that I need to do to set the values in the profile from the style?.

Dave
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:38:39 am »

Dave,

What about, profile.Update();
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:50:45 am »

HI Eddy
Yes I tried that first, but no cigar I'm afraid.
I can see the values in the stlye, but they are all return to default values after the  style.ApplyTemplateToMOP(profile); function is run.

I used grepwin to look around and Fengrave has it's own mop and there's two things that might bear investigation, Serialisation (because the style is saved on disk as a template)
and cached values (maybe you have to work with these values rather that the ones in the style it'self )
what seemed reasonably straight forward has me stumped for now.
I did set the style and produce a mop in cb manualy and now that I have, I can see the usefulness of them, so it would be nice to get some headway with them. If you have the time and inclination I will post this latest code for you to have a look at. I just don't want it to be downloaded by everyone and get confused with the one that works properly.

Dave
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:48:52 am »

Dave,

I didn't hear back, have you got this sorted now ?
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 12:58:47 pm »

Eddy

Yes after a bit of noodling I've got access to the values and am "as we speak" adding another class.
There's a bit of a "chicken and egg thing" as the order of creation of mops in the code, between the manual method without a style and creating one with a style is different.

I been beavering away on the lathe project making the mounting hardware which I've done and have registered all the parts (machined all the mating faces) so that the X axis moves as free as possible, and well this just takes forever if your as fussy as I am Cheesy.

Dave
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 17:39:06 pm »

Dave,

Was this the answer to the previous problem ?

MOPProfile mOPProfile = new MOPProfile(myfile, MY_shapelist.ToEntities());
mOPProfile.Style = style.ToString();
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 17:44:11 pm »

Don't forget the benefit of 'templates', also.  I happen not to use 'styles', because almost all of my jobs are one-offs and unique.  But I DO use templates to help save various settings not directly managed by styles.

"new using template" is a powerful tool.  In fact, I'm presently working on a tool for Michel that will benefit from their use.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 17:59:07 pm »

From v1.0 manual, also in 0.9.8 manual

"Note: Styles replace a system of Templates that were used in previous versions of CamBam and provided a similar purpose."

Lloyd, are you sure you're not just hanging onto the "comfort blanket" ? Grin
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 18:03:16 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 19:53:12 pm »

No, no, no!  "styles" has to do with 'machining options'.  "Template files" are STILL a supported option, just re-defined to describe a file with all the _other_ 'user-settings' established.

They both still work!  Separately, and with different features.

Check out the File menu, and the "new from template" option, if you don't believe me!

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 17:21:16 pm »

I happen not to use 'styles',

I use styles to speed up custom unique one off jobs all the time.  

Some of my style names might help you see how I do it.  

SYIL-AL 1/16 Ball Slot Engrave
SYIL-AL 1/8 SE Shallow Vents
SYIL-AL 1/8 SE Holes .15-.26
SYIL-AL 1/8 SE 25 Pin Slip
SYIL-AL 1/8 SE 25 Pin Start
SYIL-AL 1/8 SE 25 Pin Press
SYIL-AL 1/8 Ball 3D H/V Finish - Coarse
SYIL-AL 1/8 Ball 3D H/V Finish - Med
SYIL-AL 1/8 Ball 3D H/V Finish - Fine

HURCO-AL 3.0 Face
HURCO-TS 3.0 Face
HURCO-HR 3.0 Face

I have a bunch of styles setup for types of cuts based on material, and I often spend more time selecting the style out of the list than I do setting the 2 or 3 parameters necessary before generating code.  I spent about two days creating styles from MOPs I had proven to be solid efficient performers when I first got a good handle on how to setup and use styles.  Whenever I do something more than once I consider right then whether or not to add it to my style library.  Even though 95% of my work is one off custom it has saved me a huge number of hours.  

Machine-Material, Tool, Operation Details  

By naming all styles by the format above it makes it very easy for me to find the style I want.  CB automatically sorts them alphabetically so my styles are nicely organized.  

I actually only have a handful of templates.  Mostly for hinged casting molds. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 17:22:49 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: