CamBam
News: *** FORUM BACK *** please see 'Latest News' for updates

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2018, 04:34:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool naming variables  (Read 1260 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2017, 13:29:15 pm »

Does anybody have a link to or other information for variable names used in the tool libraries?
I.e. {$diameter}, {$flutes}, etc.
I'd like to modify the naming macros especially for V-cutters. I've discovered by trial and error {$veeangle} but can't quite hit the shank diameter. Which is more important than {$profile} because V-cutters are in the 'V-cutters' section of the library but shank diameter determines the depth a V-cutter can go to.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 14:33:55 pm »

This is from Visual Studio, it shows what is under "ToolDefinition"
CamBam v1.0

* Tooldefs.jpg (121.66 KB, 800x1379 - viewed 103 times.)
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 14:39:16 pm »

I imported the tool table which is XML into Excel. I can then populate all the fields and save as XML to import to the 3 copies of Cambam we use.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 14:50:38 pm »

Hi Eddy,
those are the property names (the way I understand it). But names used for the macro are all lower case an preceded by a '$' sign. I tried {$shankdiameter}, {$shank_diameter}, {$shank} but they are not recognized and are being attached to the name as a literal string.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 15:03:33 pm »

In the manual it shows just these;

{$diameter} = Tool diameter
{$profile} = Tool shape / profile
{$flutes} = Number of teeth / flutes
{$index} = Tool number
{$length} = Tool length
{$veeangle} = Tool Vee angle

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 15:08:50 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 16:52:59 pm »

Thanks, Eddy.
That's what I was afraid of - no name defined for shank diameter.

P.S. It's been a long time since I last visited the on-line manual so it didn't come to me to take a look there.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 16:59:10 pm by Dragonfly » Logged

Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 17:51:27 pm »

Yes, there is a name for shank diameter! Look in the XML file.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 18:27:13 pm »

But there is no macro name for it to make possible placing it in the Tool Name Format. So that when I open the tool list I see the shank diameter.

dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 00:15:21 am »

HI DragonFly
I'm in the middle of a quick plugin to" Break the edges" of the stock before it comes of the mill and have used the variables from the tool library to calculate the depth at which to cut a chamfer of a certain width around the stock so that I don't cut myself, as with some parts it is quite difficult to do this by hand.
so exactly what are you going to do with the diameter value.
Dave

* Break edges plugin Capture.PNG (385.01 KB, 1081x620 - viewed 82 times.)

* Break Edges.PNG (42.7 KB, 812x391 - viewed 78 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 08:53:39 am »

Hi Dave,
currently I don't plan any special usage except a visual reminder when selecting the tool. This applies mostly to V-cutters as I have and use tools with equal tip width and V-angle but different shank diameter.
I've managed without it until now so no big issue but I'd like to make my tool libraries neat and organized, and more informative.
Your plugin is interesting as I also have to do chamfering sometimes and do the calculations with a calculator in hand.

What I've discovered recently is that in 'Engrave' MOP CB calculates the width of cut at top of stock using the V-angle. But instead of the actual set cut depth it uses the depth increment and when those two parameter differ it displays the tool path with a wrong width. I've written about this in the bug report section but it seems nobody is interested to test for confirmation or rejection. Or maybe my conclusion is all wrong.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:01:06 am by Dragonfly » Logged

dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 11:53:13 am »

I had a look at the engrave mop displayed cut width, so what I did was made a unit cutter <45 deg with a 1 mm dia "
so that every 1 mm in depth gave an integer result (in cut width) and drew this to one side so that I could instantly see what was going on.
I then discovered that the only thing that effected the (displayed cut width) was the cutter dia.
So yes you are onto something here.
Dave

* Test for engrave displayed cut width Capture.PNG (486.72 KB, 1289x584 - viewed 74 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: